Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your PO4 really .2?

Do you have algae problems?

While I do get it and understand every tank is different, I am sometimes stumped when is see readings that high and the tank is beautiful.

And I just battled hair algae with nitrates at 18 and PO4 at .15

Sometimes I just don’t get some of the chemistry [emoji851]

No nuisance algae. The corals and chaetomorpha I use is completing for nutrients in my system. Coupled with DKH at 10, mag at 1500 and calcium at 500, the nuisance algae has a hard time getting any foot hold. Plus I do have a Tomini tang that's munching all the time.

So yes, P04 is at 0.27. There is limits to this "madness" though.

Many well know hobbyist run sky high nutrient levels and never worry much about them. Sanjay and Richard Ross come to mind. Both stunning tanks. 40+ N03 and P04 from .03 to in the 1's. Neither have any nuisance algaes. Remember their tanks are full of coral!

I guess by coincidence, I'm one of them too, for now.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size fuge chamber is it compared to the tanks water volume?

It's around a 5-10 gallon tank size. Chaetomorpha current size is enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket worth.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No nuisance algae. The corals and chaetomorpha I use is completing for nutrients in my system. Coupled with DKH at 10, mag at 1500 and calcium at 500, the nuisance algae has a hard time getting any foot hold. Plus I do have a Tomini tang that's munching all the time.

So yes, P04 is at 0.27. There is limits to this "madness" though.

Many well know hobbyist run sky high nutrient levels and never worry much about them. Sanjay and Richard Ross come to mind. Both stunning tanks. 40+ N03 and P04 from .03 to in the 1's. Neither have any nuisance algaes. Remember their tanks are full of coral!

I guess by coincidence, I'm one of them too, for now.

Thanks! It looks fantastic! I hope I get there someday!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That chaeto is super bright! Looking good for sure :)

Yes it's very healthy.

IMG_20181005_172053.jpg

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change day. It will take the bio pellets a week or more to kick in, in the mean time let's see if a large water change will bring down that 80ppm N03 and P04 at .27

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with 60 gallons replaced of 180 gallons total water volume, N03 went from 80 ppm to 40 ppm. Improvement? Yes. So with that said, I’ll be back to 15% weekly water changes until the bio pellets kick in.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, I had fresh water tanks off and on since I was very young and one summer night back in 93, while out to dinner with my wife and daughter, we had to wait for a table at a restaurant. We decided to take a walk down the strip mall near by to burn some time and unknown to me, there before me was a "saltwater fish store"! Looking in windows with eyes wide and mouth open, like a kid on Christmas Day! I had to go in! The rest is history and a "True Aquatic Addiction" permanently took hold.

So I have to ask, only because I had a wait for dinner in a strip mall in St. Louis in 89 and discovered a saltwater store. By change would it have been on Watson Rd.? They had the first 60 cube I ever saw with a metal halide light on it and a yellow tang, with God as my witness a yellow tang. LOL!

It would be the craziest coincidence of all time.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have to ask, only because I had a wait for dinner in a strip mall in St. Louis in 89 and discovered a saltwater store. By change would it have been on Watson Rd.? They had the first 60 cube I ever saw with a metal halide light on it and a yellow tang, with God as my witness a yellow tang. LOL!

It would be the craziest coincidence of all time.

No, it was in Saint Charles, mo, off of hwy 94 and 70. It was called “tropics”.
The store your thinking of might have been “tropical world”. The other back in the day that was one of the best saltwater stores I’ve ever been in was “Inland Marine”! God I miss that place!
It was taken by the airport expansion long ago.

You from the lou?

Last edited:

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it was in Saint Charles, mo, off of hwy 94 and 70. It was called “tropics”.
The store your thinking of might have been “tropical world”. The other back in the day that was one of the best saltwater stores I’ve ever been in was “Inland Marine”! God I miss that place!
It was taken by the airport expansion long ago.

You from the lou?

Yep! That was the one!

Yes, I was born at St. Mary's. :)

My ex worked at the hospital in St. Peters, Barnes West. I went the store in St. Chaz.

Small world eh?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back