dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heading up to Wally world for coffee creamer and over to Petco to pick up another aqueon pro heater for the tank. Had one over the summer that after 5 years finally stopped working. Time to replace it.

It's gotten very cold here. Tonight's temp in the mid twenties with a wind chill lower than that. We aren't going out tonight with the kids! Staying inside!
I just replaced my aqueon pro heater as well. If you have the original receipt they will replace it one time under warranty.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my aqueon pro heater as well. If you have the original receipt they will replace it one time under warranty.

I think they have a 3 year warranty. The one that crapped out on me was well over 5 years old.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they have a 3 year warranty. The one that crapped out on me was well over 5 years old.
Mine had a limited lifetime warranty. That meant they would replace it one time only. It didn’t matter how old it was. Your warranty sounds like it was different for some reason. Unfortunately, I mostly buy online rather than my local stores so I don’t have to dig up receipts ;Facepalm

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine had a limited lifetime warranty. That meant they would replace it one time only. It didn’t matter how old it was. Your warranty sounds like it was different for some reason. Unfortunately, I mostly buy online rather than my local stores so I don’t have to dig up receipts ;Facepalm

Me too. On receipts.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old school kalkwasser!

And some good info on its benefits and use:

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking the same, but hey........ It's all good!

I've said my sump has become a "scary" place, a "haunted house" of such.... Well in reality it's doing its own thing.

Cryptic zone, sponges are "creeping" and taking over rock, pest palythoas....anything in their way!

DSC_0148.JPG

Very neat, I have never been a huge fan of refugiums, but a dedicated cryptic/passive flow area for sponges and live rock is something that has interested me. Steve Tyree describes something similar used in his trizonal system.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheesh that skimate is dark.. what the fosphate are u feeding them? Columbian coffee beans!?

Starbucks, only the best! Lol

Very neat, I have never been a huge fan of refugiums, but a dedicated cryptic/passive flow area for sponges and live rock is something that has interested me. Steve Tyree describes something similar used in his trizonal system.

It's cool that they can grow down there and grow as fast as they are!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change done.

I'm a once a month sand vacuum guy, so I tried something I've been thinking of doing for sometime. Took the syphon hose end and ran it down the DT drain. Using a sock in the sump to capture the debris. Worked very well!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change done.

I'm a once a month sand vacuum guy, so I tried something I've been thinking of doing for sometime. Took the syphon hose end and ran it down the DT drain. Using a sock in the sump to capture the debris. Worked very well!
WHen I have vacuum your sand- are you using like a python hose to physically lift the grains? Or just going over the surface?

I’ve literally never vacuumed my sand, so just curious about how you do yours.

Thanks!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHen I have vacuum your sand- are you using like a python hose to physically lift the grains? Or just going over the surface?

I’ve literally never vacuumed my sand, so just curious about how you do yours.

Thanks!

Screenshot_20191109-170810.png

I syphon deep.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’ve seen those and had them in hand a couple times but always put them back

I have a cyano and Chrysophytes issue that’s starting to resolve. I might do a big scrub and siphon next week to finish it off. I think I’ll pick one of these up

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’ve seen those and had them in hand a couple times but always put them back

I have a cyano and Chrysophytes issue that’s starting to resolve. I might do a big scrub and siphon next week to finish it off. I think I’ll pick one of these up

That and a UV unit helps.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change done.

Presumably you have to shove the hose down the drain to a point below the sandbed to maintain the siphon? I’d need to shove it down my emergency drain of the BA.

Good idea though, thanks

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presumably you have to shove the hose down the drain to a point below the sandbed to maintain the siphon? I’d need to shove it down my emergency drain of the BA.

Good idea though, thanks

Yes

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change done over the weekend. I finally got to do my AquaBiomics test and it's in the mail! Now the wait to get the results back. Can wait to see what's in the tank!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change done over the weekend. I finally got to do my AquaBiomics test and it's in the mail! Now the wait to get the results back. Can wait to see what's in the tank!
WHat, if anything do you plan tonight do with the info?

Having worked with next generation technologies very closely since their inception- it’s all very well being able to see what’s there, but theres very little actionable (zero, really) information available. Even in the biomedical sphere, where this stuff has been going on for 12 years, there are very few actionable results that inform, eg, drug treatment or the like. Plus- it’s all about relative ratios and healthy ecosystem dynamics

My bet is, there will be very little consensus between similar tanks and each tank has its own unique blend of magic bacteria and viruses.

Cool seeing ‘work tech’ get into the hobby area, though

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back