Flukes or something else?

Acanthurus1517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
So 8 days ago, I noticed these little spots on a Tomini tang that I had bought recently. They looked too big to be ich or velvet and looked more like flukes to me. I got some prazipro from my lfs and treated the tank accordingly and the spots seemed to go away. Yesterday night was when the 7 day treatment ended and I did a water change and replaced carbon accordingly. But then I come home tonight, and I find the tang with some more pronounced spots on her side that still look like flukes, and looked as she does in the photo. Did the treatment not work, or is this something else like some scars from her rubbing up against something? I did notice that the spots seem to be in an oddly uniform arching pattern, so could that be a clue? Please let me know what this is and what I should do about it if anything.

Thanks,
Diego

IMG_4241.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acanthurus1517 Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

OP
OP
A

Acanthurus1517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also note that the tang was pre-quarantined before I brought her home and was practically spotless when she entered my tang - no signs of ich or velvet anywhere

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also note that the tang was pre-quarantined before I brought her home and was practically spotless when she entered my tang - no signs of ich or velvet anywhere

You need to dose prazi at least two times, 8 days apart to break the life cycle if they are an egg laying species (assume that they are).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Please post updated pics
I recall this and again
Hey all,
So 8 days ago, I noticed these little spots on a Tomini tang that I had bought recently. They looked too big to be ich or velvet and looked more like flukes to me. I got some prazipro from my lfs and treated the tank accordingly and the spots seemed to go away. Yesterday night was when the 7 day treatment ended and I did a water change and replaced carbon accordingly. But then I come home tonight, and I find the tang with some more pronounced spots on her side that still look like flukes, and looked as she does in the photo. Did the treatment not work, or is this something else like some scars from her rubbing up against something? I did notice that the spots seem to be in an oddly uniform arching pattern, so could that be a clue? Please let me know what this is and what I should do about it if anything.

Thanks,
Diego

IMG_4241.jpeg
I recall this
Opposed to flukes this looks like mucus cones mixed in with ich which makes more sense as it won’t respond to prazi
You will have to do water change and then administer coppersafe at 2.25 for a full 30 days and keep an eye on other occupants for similar digns
Often this starts as a skin irritation and progresses
Also monitor ammonia level during treatment

OP
OP
A

Acanthurus1517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more photos. As you can see, something else odd about it is that the spots are only present on one side of her. If a copper treatment in qt is necessary, I’ll see if I can obtain some coppersafe. Despite all of this, the tang still seems active and happy - she’s eating and swimming and I haven’t seen her flashing or trying to scratch whatever itches she may have.

- Diego

Attachments

• IMG_4256.jpeg
    IMG_4256.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4259.jpeg
    IMG_4259.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
A

Acanthurus1517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spot on her fin is a smudge on the glass at the time that I took the photos, so apologies for that being in the way

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The question to me is - what was the pre-quarantine - if it was not the protocol we use here - I would start with that - including all of your fish exposed - in a hospital tank - and leaving the display tank fallow (if you put the fish in) - Or - you could take your chances with ich management? Please let us know what you decided to do!!! Best wishes with the tank

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back