FOWLR filtration?

ReefDemon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m posting on behalf of my friend, he’s shut down his 180g planted discus tank and wants to go FOWLR as he’s figured for all the time and money he puts in to the planted he’d rather go FOWLR.... he not ready to reef just yet.

He wants to know if he would be better off with a cheato refugium and/or algae turf scrubber or a biopellet reactor to keep nitrates and phosphates down. If any of you guys have FOWLR tanks, how do you have your filtration set up? He has already got his skimmer and a load of live rock curing for the display and sump.

I personally think he should go down the fuge/algae scrubber route, but I only say that because biopellets have cause issues in a couple of reefs that a few guys I know have kept.... but tbh I doubt that will apply to a FOWLR.

Also what kind of water change schedule is he looking at, he understands it won’t be as strict as a reef in terms of nutrient control but what kind of nitrate, phosphate parameters should he be a good time to change water?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can handle heightened nutrients. As to the exact number i'm not sure. One of our other users has a rather large tank and the nitrates I believe got up to almost 180ppm and the fish didn't seem to mind.
A refugium is a great choice for nutrient control as it will remove nitrates and phosphates, but will also give pods an area to populate and become snacks for your fish :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, so a refugium would be a good method of nutrient export in a fowlr... plus the bonus of copepods having a place to breed. Would it be worth adding an algae turf scrubber to this?
I wouldnt, as it'll outcompete your refugium and your macro will likely die off

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree completely with The Glitter Fairy I would just add that a 180 gallon FOWLR has the potential to house some large, sloppy fish. If your friend is interested in eels or lionfish or grouper he will want a quality skimmer for more export. Ammonia would be the biggest concern in that type of tank (versus nitrite or nitrate). If he is doing smaller fish things should be fine.

OP
OP
R

ReefDemon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree completely with The Glitter Fairy I would just add that a 180 gallon FOWLR has the potential to house some large, sloppy fish. If your friend is interested in eels or lionfish or grouper he will want a quality skimmer for more export. Ammonia would be the biggest concern in that type of tank (versus nitrite or nitrate). If he is doing smaller fish things should be fine.

At the risk sounding like a total weirdo, surely ammonia won’t be an issue if the tank has cycled properly?

He isn’t really after eel or lions etc, it more the angels and butterflies he likes.

Last edited by a moderator:

krbshappy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not introduce him to the forum? The search bar here is awesome for quick answers to his questions and any others he has down the road. I've been researching FOWLR as well, so much info here.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep some corals but I'm mainly fowlr. Biggest sump you can fit, easiest to change mechanical filtration (pillow stuffing or socks), quality skimmer, and biggest refugium you can manage. I like at least 20x turnover as well.

On my 180 it goes socks, bubble mag curve 9, fluval sp4, then 20g chaeto fuge with cree ufo light. A couple of tunze 6075s for flow.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back