Foxface color issue?

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a foxface about 2 weeks ago. He is doing great, swimming, eating, him and my clown hang out together. He is pretty small maybe 2 inchs? Not much bigger than my clown. I have a two year old fat clown. He has yellow, but mostly grey with his black spot. He is not doing his camo thing when he sleeps or hides. My question is does the real yellow come out more when they are older? Or should he be yellow no matter the age. I am just trying to determine if he stressed, but his behavior says otherwise

OP
OP
S

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was he yellow when you bought him? I vote, always yellow except when stressed.
I mean not really. More grey and then yellow starting at his back and fins. I just thought maybe cause he is young. When I first put him in he was really grey and camo cause I know how that’s they get. I will try and snap a picture tomorrow

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a foxface about 2 weeks ago. He is doing great, swimming, eating, him and my clown hang out together. He is pretty small maybe 2 inchs? Not much bigger than my clown. I have a two year old fat clown. He has yellow, but mostly grey with his black spot. He is not doing his camo thing when he sleeps or hides. My question is does the real yellow come out more when they are older? Or should he be yellow no matter the age. I am just trying to determine if he stressed, but his behavior says otherwise
It sounds to me like you have a Siganus uspi (Bicolour Foxface) and not one of the regular foxes.
A photo says a lot more though so it’d be great if you can get one.

OP
OP
S

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C9D6A729-0569-4DA5-A7F0-9497DB2170EF.jpeg
2A934D18-4D7A-477F-B3E9-03FDC7E88D7D.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So maybe it will it yellow out the older it gets?
It may gain more yellow but I doubt it - you’ll likely end up with a rather half and half foxface with a large black splotch.
Here’s an adult that looks similar to yours from a quick search, I have seen foxes like yours come in from time to time but honestly they’re not common at all.
863178FE-01BD-4A61-A2E8-705E59682B50.jpeg

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine's the same. No black spot, more like the top third is black and the rest is yellow. He was about 2 inches when I got him, he's now over 3. Most of the black is now turning grey, except where the spot should be (that's still black). Like the picture below (not my pic).
4050-17-one-spot-foxface-rgauCs.jpg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your foxface is just young, he'll color up with age. My one spot looked like yours when it was young, too.

Here's mine 2yrs ago:

120620223.jpg

And now:

12062022.jpg

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is always very yellow when it is baby. And it is about 5 inches long and color hasn't fade out at all.

Attachments

• 20221011_191407.jpg
    20221011_191407.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 18

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be nerves - not stress marks but similar. Assure also proper diet which help enhance coloration

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... Does anyone elses one-spot shift their coloration like Rorschach from Watchmen?

Or do I just have weird fish?

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be nerves - not stress marks but similar. Assure also proper diet which help enhance coloration
I'm not so sure. I appreciate your experience in this hobby far exceeds mine, but this doesn't seem like an unhappy fish to me. I feed a diet of mysis (with & without garlic), nori, brine shrip, chopped clam, chopped cockle, flake, krill, frozen 'seaweed', and probably a few other bits from time to time. He's also munching on the algae in the tank. He has (what looks to me like) good body mass.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm not so sure. I appreciate your experience in this hobby far exceeds mine, but this doesn't seem like an unhappy fish to me. I feed a diet of mysis (with & without garlic), nori, brine shrip, chopped clam, chopped cockle, flake, krill, frozen 'seaweed', and probably a few other bits from time to time. He's also munching on the algae in the tank. He has (what looks to me like) good body mass.
Not saying a dietary issue but rather to assure good diet which seems you have good variety. Rabbit often change color based on Stressors and will show loss of color and often glass surfing, fins clamped, lack of color and simply adapting to changes in tank or environment.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back