Foxface Reef Safe?

VDiBenedetto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1 spot in a mixed reef, lps, sps and softies and he nipped some of my acans for the first day or so but now he leaves them alone

Shannon Harlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was perfect for a long time than bam half my brain coral is gone. There's a possibility something in my tank killed it but I saw him nipping away at edges and all my other corals are fine and parameters all check out. I put an egg crate box over to see if it recovers or keeps dying off.

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bicolor and so far so good. Great grazer and if any new plugs has any algae it cleans it up for me

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef tank with a magnificent foxface. He's been great in the tank for the year I've had him. I can see him picking at algae between the corals, but nothing more.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for angles what are you looking at? The large ones (Regal, Emperor, Queen) have a very bad reputation in reefs as they like to munch on coral. The dwarf angels are very hit or miss. Very prett colors and most of the time they are reef safe. But like all species their is a select few that don’t follow the rules and go rogue. It all comes down to how much of a risk do you want to take. l had a foxface for years and he never once touched or nipped at a coral.

flowerqueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are foxfaces and its variants reef safe? LFS having some sales on foxfaces, thinking about picking one up. I have heard mixed things. They have a young magnificent and one spot and the regular as well. When I say "reef safe" I mean safe with Corals and Inverts.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)
I’ve had mine for 3 years...he’s my Baby Boy Fish(at least I think) lol I’ve never had a problem!!!

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for angles what are you looking at? The large ones (Regal, Emperor, Queen) have a very bad reputation in reefs as they like to munch on coral. The dwarf angels are very hit or miss. Very prett colors and most of the time they are reef safe. But like all species their is a select few that don’t follow the rules and go rogue. It all comes down to how much of a risk do you want to take. l had a foxface for years and he never once touched or nipped at a coral.

As for the Larger ones, are Lamarck or Watanabi Angels "safe"?

For the dwarfs, I was thinking Flame, any suggestions?

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man so many good/bad experiences haha. How hard would it be to catch one in a 6ft long tank? Might take a risk, avoid the magnificent and stick to the one spot and see what happens.

Anyone house a naso tang with a foxface? 125 too small for a naso?

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a vulpinus for 11 years. I learned that if it was eating on my Montipora capricornis it was just to give it nori to stop it. One big meal and the coral had a calm week.
But i am not certain. Maybe it was the fish that learned if i nip at the Montipora i get nori.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man so many good/bad experiences haha. How hard would it be to catch one in a 6ft long tank? Might take a risk, avoid the magnificent and stick to the one spot and see what happens.

Anyone house a naso tang with a foxface? 125 too small for a naso?
I had a hard time catching mine, depends on how much rock you have, I think a naso will get to big for a 125. I loved my foxface so it may be worth the chance for you.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are dwarf angels a good choice to add?

Unfortunately, it's pretty much the same answer as with the foxface. They sure are beautiful but unfortunately have a great deal of individual variation. Some will be model citizens, others will nip at various hard and soft corals, and especially the mantles of tridacna clams. An lfs employee may swear up and down that a particular species is absolutely reef safe (I've had this line thrown at me regarding the Coral Beauty); don't believe them, or you could find yourself spending hours trying to get that fish out.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fox face has not touched any of my corals for a year now.

May I know the variant? Trying to see if there's a trend

I had a hard time catching mine, depends on how much rock you have, I think a naso will get to big for a 125. I loved my foxface so it may be worth the chance for you.

Might give it a shot, wish me luck!

Unfortunately, it's pretty much the same answer as with the foxface. They sure are beautiful but unfortunately have a great deal of individual variation. Some will be model citizens, others will nip at various hard and soft corals, and especially the mantles of tridacna clams. An lfs employee may swear up and down that a particular species is absolutely reef safe (I've had this line thrown at me regarding the Coral Beauty); don't believe them, or you could find yourself spending hours trying to get that fish out.

Funny you mention that because I was told the Coral Beauty would behave as well

Jlito182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for 6 months along with a golden rabbitfish and he has been great. Very peaceful fish. Never messed with my corals.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Montipora capricornis didnt show the polyps after i added bispinosa to the tank.
I have never seen bispinosa eating of a coral. Sometimes they appear to lick mucus from the corals but that dont seem to affect the coral at all.
(If a fish is eating from a coral the polyps will all be withdrawn in a second).
I have had a few customers claiming their bispinosas was eating from a coral but after a short talk they went home to check and they still have the fishes as far as i know.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Montipora capricornis didnt show the polyps after i added bispinosa to the tank.
I have never seen bispinosa eating of a coral. Sometimes they appear to lick mucus from the corals but that dont seem to affect the coral at all.
(If a fish is eating from a coral the polyps will all be withdrawn in a second).
I have had a few customers claiming their bispinosas was eating from a coral but after a short talk they went home to check and they still have the fishes as far as i know.

Interesting, see Im on the verge of givign it all a shot but then the thought of trying to catch them in a 6 ft tank scares me cause I dont think I can survive having that much patience haha lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back