Foxface Reef Safe?

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a one spot. Out of nowhere he started to nip at a monti cap. The coral started to STN. I fragged it and now it leaves it alone. Go figure????

Luis Spinola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20171109_134722.jpg

Ours eats whatever we give it! We have had it for two years and has never eaten any corals, just some algae.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a two bar, a Java, two fox faces and a bicolor.

None picked at corals.

I have seen dwarf angels go after zoas and shrimp go after nems.

Rabbit fish eat buble algae as does my achilles.

A good recipe for eliminating pests like certain algae, bubble and aptisia is a healthy mix of tangs, rabbits, shrimp and a copperband.

If you have bugs get a bluethroat trigger....but then you wont have your shrimp after that....

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 1 Spot in 60gal had to move him to my 65gal because powder brown tang literally kept him pinned in a corner of the tank. In 65gal he ate every last bubble algae in sight and doesn't touch any coral. Side note: make sure you feed him Nori once or twice a week.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going to my lfs this weekend so lets see what happens!

Tbell805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lost one this week that I had for years. Awesome fish! Helped keep algae under control and would swim with my yellow tang all the time. Only coral he snacked on was a duncan and it had already started to recede. I'm sure there was some algae there and his big body just furthered the recession of the coral. I wasn't too upset and he didn't bother any other corals I had. Gonna miss this fish.

lordraptor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had a magnificent foxface in the past and he didnt eat any corals. in fact i just picked up one today and i dont expect any trouble. fact is foxfaces really dont eat corals, they can and will however graze algae on the rock and coral which sometimes leads to the coral disappearing but the coral would just be a casualty of the foxface eating the algae off it not eatign the coral itself. my recommendation is feed the foxface good, and keep a piece of seaweed and a piece of romaine lettuce in the tank for him to graze on, you can also give those algae pellets but i personalyl dont recommend them because they disolve and make a big mess LOL.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for a bit over 6 years. I've learned that if she's well-fed she won't munch on any coral. She needs a good chunk of Nori to munch on most of the day.

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bicolour Foxface, he nipped on my soft corals, which was sad because he kept the whole tank spotless, even eating bubble algae.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Foxface in one tank and a bi-color rabbitfish the other both are great for algae, but I can't have torch corals in either tank because of them. Everything else they don't bother.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a foxface who sometimes ate on a Montipora capricornis. It stopped for a few days to a week if I gave it Nori.
I just dont know if I was the one that learned that Nori will stop the fish from eating coral or if it was the fish that learned: If I pick at the coral I get Nori.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 90 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back