Frag tank - substrate or no?

MariahP

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2022
Messages
248
Reaction score
343
Location
Washington DC
What state or country do you live in
Washington, D.C.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning reefers!
I’m going to start up a 20 gallon frag tank and wondering if I should do substrate or no?
If yes - what kind?
 
For a display tank or just to grow out frags?
 
Honestly, I wish I could add substrate to my frag tank, simply because it looks better and hides detritus otherwise visible on the bottom.

But at least for me, it’s impractical due to the high flow I keep for growing SPS.

I do play with the idea of adding small ruble or crushed coral on the ground.
 
I agree bare bottom for growout
 
Honestly, I wish I could add substrate to my frag tank, simply because it looks better and hides detritus otherwise visible on the bottom.

But at least for me, it’s impractical due to the high flow I keep for growing SPS.

I do play with the idea of adding small ruble or crushed coral on the ground.
Reborn media is good too just expensive. I like the idea of crushed coral
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new