Frogfish

Dunkleosteus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if a good hanging filter with a protein skimmer would do well for a 30g frogfish coral tank? I'll be willing to get a different type but this is the easiest option right now. I'm turning the tank from fresh to salt and I already have a small hang on filter that I'm sure wouldn't do the job well. I'm looking to increase the filter efficiency. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
D

Dunkleosteus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Frogfish I think need slightly bigger tanks but assuming you have live rock it should be ok
I work at an aquarium supply store and I haven't set the tank up yet. I've heard of the smaller species being perfect for 20g such as warty and painted. I was hoping for a decent sized one but if I get a large I will upgrade tanks within a few months.

Upvote 0

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at an aquarium supply store and I haven't set the tank up yet. I've heard of the smaller species being perfect for 20g such as warty and painted. I was hoping for a decent sized one but if I get a large I will upgrade tanks within a few months.
It would be possible yes. As long as it's eating good and you have live rock it should be good

Upvote 0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Upvote 0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if a good hanging filter with a protein skimmer would do well for a 30g frogfish coral tank? I'll be willing to get a different type but this is the easiest option right now. I'm turning the tank from fresh to salt and I already have a small hang on filter that I'm sure wouldn't do the job well. I'm looking to increase the filter efficiency. Any suggestions?
Is this a standard 30 gallon tank? If so, I would suggest an Aquaclear 70 and a HOB skimmer. You will also still need to do regular water changes. Frogs are messy. You will also have to account for feeding live foods. Frogs can take frozen over time, but long term I prefer live. For corals, you will need to avoid ones that can sting. It should also be a species specific tank. They are very susceptible to disease, so measures to avoid that need to be taken with anything going in the tank.

also tagging @lion king to add anything I may have missed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dunkleosteus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a standard 30 gallon tank? If so, I would suggest an Aquaclear 70 and a HOB skimmer. You will also still need to do regular water changes. Frogs are messy. You will also have to account for feeding live foods. Frogs can take frozen over time, but long term I prefer live. For corals, you will need to avoid ones that can sting. It should also be a species specific tank. They are very susceptible to disease, so measures to avoid that need to be taken with anything going in the tank.

also tagging @lion king to add anything I may have missed.
Thanks for the help! The store has feeder goldfish and shrimp if that's what you mean. Feeding them freshwater fish means they can't transfer diseases as easily. When would you suggest water changes? Monthly or even weekly?

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can configure hang on equipment that would work very well. The best hob filter is the Seachem, also Aquaclear works well, put something like Seachem matrix for biological fitration along with rock in the display. There are some good hob skimmers, they don't mKe my favorite anymore, from Eshopps, I don't know in they replaced it. A hob refugium or algae reactor would work just as well as skimmer, or better yet in addition to. If I had to choose, I'd do a refugium.

You can much feeding and care info if you click my name and "find all threads". Short answer for feeding; live foods including ghost shrimp, guppies, and mollies. No rosies or goldfish, and no salt water fish because of possible disease rransfee.

Upvote 0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help! The store has feeder goldfish and shrimp if that's what you mean. Feeding them freshwater fish means they can't transfer diseases as easily. When would you suggest water changes? Monthly or even weekly?
No goldfish. Shrimp are fine. And yes, FW fish cannot transfer disease. I do mostly feeder shrimp and gut load them with hikari flakes before feeding. For water changes, I do 10% weekly for my sargassum that is in a 29 biocube. It is mainly to replenish traces for the macros and alk for the corals, as it is a macro/softy coral only tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dunkleosteus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can configure hang on equipment that would work very well. The best hob filter is the Seachem, also Aquaclear works well, put something like Seachem matrix for biological fitration along with rock in the display. There are some good hob skimmers, they don't mKe my favorite anymore, from Eshopps, I don't know in they replaced it. A hob refugium or algae reactor would work just as well as skimmer, or better yet in addition to. If I had to choose, I'd do a refugi

No goldfish. Shrimp are fine. And yes, FW fish cannot transfer disease. I do mostly feeder shrimp and gut load them with hikari flakes before feeding. For water changes, I do 10% weekly for my sargassum that is in a 29 biocube. It is mainly to replenish traces for the macros and alk for the corals, as it is a macro/softy coral only tank.

Upvote 0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can configure hang on equipment that would work very well. The best hob filter is the Seachem, also Aquaclear works well, put something like Seachem matrix for biological fitration along with rock in the display. There are some good hob skimmers, they don't mKe my favorite anymore, from Eshopps, I don't know in they replaced it. A hob refugium or algae reactor would work just as well as skimmer, or better yet in addition to. If I had to choose, I'd do a refugium.
Good idea on the fuge. 2 HOBs would work for that. And forgot about the Seachem Hob. That one is a good one. It also skims the surface right out of the box.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dunkleosteus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea on the fuge. 2 HOBs would work for that. And forgot about the Seachem Hob. That one is a good one. It also skims the surface right out of the box.
So the way to use seachem would be to put a few in the base of a hang on? There is a pack at the store for about $75 that includes a protein skimmer and it was suggested to me for a reef tank. Not sure of it would be the best but I'm heading in today so I'll come back with some more information

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more added info, a 30g will be fine for most frogfish with the exception of the giant. You can incorporate some macro algaes into the display, macro naturally filters nitrates and phosphates, and will cut down on the necessity of water changes. For corals you still the necessary elements. While some frogfish may accept dead food, they will not survive long term on a dead only diet, nutritional deficiencies will eventually take it's toll. Beware of feeding krill as it contains a large amount of thiaminese, which binds vit B1, one of the leading causes of death in predatory fish. Including some live fish along with ghost shrimp will add bone and guts, a good addition for overall health.

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the way to use seachem would be to put a few in the base of a hang on? There is a pack at the store for about $75 that includes a protein skimmer and it was suggested to me for a reef tank. Not sure of it would be the best but I'm heading in today so I'll come back with some more informa

Some of the smaller cheaper skimmers are pretty useless, I did extensive research tracking nitrates and phosphates and there was none to little effect with ones rated for the nano market. If you are to get a hob skimmer get one from a high end manufacturer at least in the $100 range, the cheaper ones will be a waste of money. An hob refugium will be much better money spent. The macros naturally filters the water and also add O2 exchange which is very beneficial for overall reef health.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dunkleosteus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more added info, a 30g will be fine for most frogfish with the exception of the giant. You can incorporate some macro algaes into the display, macro naturally filters nitrates and phosphates, and will cut down on the necessity of water changes. For corals you still the necessary elements. While some frogfish may accept dead food, they will not survive long term on a dead only diet, nutritional deficiencies will eventually take it's toll. Beware of feeding krill as it contains a large amount of thiaminese, which binds vit B1, one of the leading causes of death in predatory fish. Including some live fish along with ghost shrimp will add bone and guts, a good addition for overall health.
So the store I work at has an overabundance of ghost shrimp because we get alot each week with no consumers, so there's that. My current biggest question/problem is what to feed one. I spoke with the store expert today and he said there isn't a good thing necessarily to feed them because they eat live saltwater fish and shrimp. We have $15 damsels but nothing other than that really. Large selection of feeder goldfish and Rosie red minnows along with shrimp. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the store I work at has an overabundance of ghost shrimp because we get alot each week with no consumers, so there's that. My current biggest question/problem is what to feed one. I spoke with the store expert today and he said there isn't a good thing necessarily to feed them because they eat live saltwater fish and shrimp. We have $15 damsels but nothing other than that really. Large selection of feeder goldfish and Rosie red minnows along with shrimp. Any suggestions?

Ghost shrimp will be the staple for any anglers except the larger ones like the painted and giant, which will eventually eat mollies as their staple and some ghost shrimp. Please read through some of my other threads as you see I dispel the myth of feeding predators what people call fresh water fare. Ghost shrimp are actually a variety of shrimp that live in fresh, brackish and salt water. It is easier to transport and keep them in fresh water. Set up a little fresh water tank or container at home with a sponge filter to keep ghosties, so you can feed them a healthy diet, and gut load prior to offering them as food. I feed my ghosties Omega One micro pellets, you can actually see them in their guts, it like the preds get the pellets too. I keep ghosties and guppies with a pinch of salt, like 1.005 and my molly tank I keep at 1.013. Mollies live and breed in as high as 1.017 in the wild. I have kept many preds for many years on a main diet of ghosties, guppies, and mollies. Feeding anything from salt water will spread disease, it's only a matter of time. The only exception would be salt water shrimp that are kept in a system with no fish, and lfs really don't do that anymore, and fish diseases will hitch hike on inverts. Frogfish in the best conditions really don't live that long, and I have kept them over 3 years, which seems for the most part, the longest you can expect. I currently feed 9 predators ghosties, guppies, and mollies as the main part of their diets.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back