frogspawn flow

BigKestral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this too much flow for it?

i have the hydor 425 in a fluval evo 13.5.

this is after the powerhead is off:

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally if the turnover rate is around 20-30 times the size of your tank, measured in gallons per hour, it will be fine for LPS corals I think. It’s the SPS that really need high flow and are pickier about flow.

If you’re pumping out around 350 gallons of water per hour you should be good to go.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally if the turnover rate is around 20-30 times the size of your tank, measured in gallons per hour, it will be fine for LPS corals I think. It’s the SPS that really need high flow and are pickier about flow.

If you’re pumping out around 350 gallons of water per hour you should be good to go.
I love Frogspawn so I read your Thread.

The flow looks good. Watch when the Frogspawn opens up more.
They will open more when they want more flow or light, and certainly will close up when too much flow.

LPS with Inflated Tenacles are delicate creatures, and they can't be damaged (rip) with aggressive flow.
Once they rip, they can get infected and die.

Also easy to damage LPS if you are turning on and off flow AGGRESSIVE Flow.
What I mean is if you turn off the flow, the Frogspawn may relax, and they all of a sudden flow turns on and it get's hit to hard (No chance to close up).

Tank Turnover has nothing to do with Flow hitting a Coral.
(Yes the more turnover moves move water, but it's not really a factor for flow inside the tank, depending on placement and return pump output)...

Sorry Maybe the Comment is about the Tank type and 350Gal/Hour for that Tank hard setup is good.
Still it doesn't make sense to me.

One of my Tanks was nothing but LPS, and they like Gentle WIDE Flow.
(The power heads on left point around and away)

The Top 3 Colonies are Frogpawns (Greenish ones). Left is a Golden Frogspawn.
They all grew from one head like yours.
I them up and sold them and miss them so much , I just bought back a piece of my original back to grow again.

2020-OldKithchenTankHawkfish.jpg

Some LPS can handle more, but in general they like flow that is not Rough or direct from a narrow stream.

This is my Tank now, and that Bubble coral (grown from a baby) is Extremly Delicate so I adjusted flow around it..
Putting those Pumps in Previous photo (at the Back). It was too much for the Bubble Coral as it got big.
On the Right is the Frogspawn I bought back.

2020-05-31_90Gallon-Mixed-KitchenTank.jpg

One of my Ausssie Golden Torches (the one on left) did awful for a while till I reduce the Agressive flow on it.
Then it opened up and started to Flourish.

So your Frogspawn flow to me looks great.

A pump or pumps inside a tank pointing at a Frogspawn matters. (Look at it. Not caculate Turn Over Rate).
And NO FLOW is also bad, they need flow to dust them off.
They get stronger with resonable flow. Flop if they get too little.

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing. I see your frogspawn is a bottom of tank.

LPS like the Frogspawn EAT LIGHT.
They don't need to be fed (Coral Foods like Zoa's or Mushrooms), since they make their food from Light, more than other Corals.

So over time, move it up (SLOWLY) so it get's more light.
You can tell when it's too high when it closes early.
Rule of thumb, is when your Frogspawn either closes when Lights off, or doesn't close at all, it's happy with Lighting.

Then it will adjust, and move it up again closer to light, or increase lighting intensity.

LPS like Frogspawn have some kind of Light clock. They will open and close almost automatically as they learn your lighting schedule.

It's cool. After they learn your lighting setup, they will open and close at the same time. Even if you one-day leave lights on longer or start earlier.

So keep your lighting stable (intensity and duration). Make adjustment slowly and rarely.

Hope it does well.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the corrections. I will make sure to not blast my LPS directly with flow once I get my tank set up. Do you find Frogspawn an easy coral to keep overall? What about the Torch and Bubble Corals? Can you suggest to me the best LPS overall for a new tank and first time reefer?

OP
OP
BigKestral

BigKestral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing. I see your frogspawn is a bottom of tank.

LPS like the Frogspawn EAT LIGHT.
They don't need to be fed (Coral Foods like Zoa's or Mushrooms), since they make their food from Light, more than other Corals.

So over time, move it up (SLOWLY) so it get's more light.
You can tell when it's too high when it closes early.
Rule of thumb, is when your Frogspawn either closes when Lights off, or doesn't close at all, it's happy with Lighting.

Then it will adjust, and move it up again closer to light, or increase lighting intensity.

LPS like Frogspawn have some kind of Light clock. They will open and close almost automatically as they learn your lighting schedule.

It's cool. After they learn your lighting setup, they will open and close at the same time. Even if you one-day leave lights on longer or start earlier.

So keep your lighting stable (intensity and duration). Make adjustment slowly and rarely.

Hope it does well.

Thanks for that info, I just this frogspawn a few hours ago. Its the most expensive($20) coral in the tank :p. So I am slowly acclimating it to my light (Lominie Asta 20 from amazon) . The video seems bright but it was at the lowest setting.

I usually leave the light on max setting during the day. I'm thinking to acclimate the frogspawn, I'll reduce the lighting to half of what it was.

OP
OP
BigKestral

BigKestral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the corrections. I will make sure to not blast my LPS directly with flow once I get my tank set up. Do you find Frogspawn an easy coral to keep overall? What about the Torch and Bubble Corals? Can you suggest to me the best LPS overall for a new tank and first time reefer?

I could use this info too, I'm a noobie also hehe.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Frogspawn are probably the Easiest of all LPS (tentacle type).
They can take anything, and will recover (except from Being torn or Jelly Disease).

This is my Green with Purple Tiped one (from Past). Glows like Crazy under blue lights, and even under whites.
2017-09-18_FrogSpawnBig.jpg

If you can find a Golden Frogspawn get one (if price is right). They are georgeous.
I lost it becuase of an Accident. :(

GoldenFrogSpawn-WB2.jpg

TORCHES for me ARE TOUGH. I keep losing them for unknown reasons.
They last for a while then all of a sudden don't do well.
I'm lucky that my Aussie Torch recovered and is doing well.

But one recommendation. Get anything that is branching.
When eg. Branching Frogspawns, or Branching Hammers grown, they grow with Hard Skelton between each head, so you can cut/split them up, or sell them.

Don't get Corals like NON-Branching Hammer. Unless you want it forever since it will just grown as one piece.
Some folks (experts can cut a Non-Branching Hammer) and then heal it, but it's not easy.

This is my first bubble (in tank photo above), and it grew like crazy, so I think they are easy if they are in gentle flow.
My Bubble now at least 10 arms, and multiple mouths.

2019-10-21_BubbleCoralSplitting.jpg

But they are not separate, so almost impossible to split. I would have to cut through flesh. I won't risk it.
I'm running out of room for it. So That's why I suggest Branching LPS.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back