From Canister filter to sump. Help please

saraeelove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m still new to this website and the hobbie.
I have a 40 gallon saltwater tank.. Fish and live rock only.my tank is 4 feet high.

I’ve been using a fluval canister filter and Im honestly fed up with canister filters and wanting to move to sumps.

I have a diy 10 gallon fish tank made to a sump. I just bought a bubble magus 2.5 protein skimmer to go in my sump.
Now for the reason why I am asking for help.
I need a return pump and overflow box.

Any recommendations ?
I am being thrown off with how many GPH I need for my tank.
I was thinking of getting the RIO 12HF hyperflow water pump.
And the marine depot overflow Box OF-800.

Will this work out? I am hoping to have everything running smoothly no overflow mess and I don’t want my new filtration system to be too loud. Some noise is ok.

Any other recommendations if you don’t recommend an overflow box ?
I don’t want to drill holes in my aquarium tank when it’s already up and running.

Quah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the GPH (Gallons Per Hour) of the pump into the tank is the same or less than the GPH maximum of the overflow box you should be fine. With that being said, sometimes overflows flood, or kill their siphon. I'd get one of the self-siphoning overflows.

Ryan Browne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a DC Pump, that way you can buy an oversized pump and then slow it down to the GPH you need. DC Pumps are great because they
are controllable. Jebao makes some ok pumps if you are on a budget $70-$100. The pump I would recommend is Reef Octopus, they start at $180, but
will last for a very long time. The Jebao pumps tend to fail. As for the overflow box, I have never used one, but I have heard a ton of great things about
Lifereef overflow boxes. http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html. Yes the website looks like something from the early 90's, but they make some dang good
equipment. If I was going to use a hang on back overflow, I would only buy Lifereef. Good Luck

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put a valve on the return you can pinpoint the correct flow for the box. Eshopps makes fine overflows as well, but need to be quieted.

As far as flow a good 600 gph pump minus the head pressure so you get about 400 gph would be more than fine(10x tank) imho. I do about 5x. The Rio 10HF would be fine with the valve on the return mentioned, but buy 2 because you want a backup for failure.

The marine depot box will work fine, but be loud like the eshopps without silencing it. You can find the silencing video on youtube, but the lifereef would probably be the better option.

I would go to a bigger sump like a 20L or 30 since they are really cheap and will allow for back drain from the return if siphon is created. No mess and not much cost up front. You could even make a small chamber for your ATO.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started 2 years ago I was about to use a canister filter, but after researching I changed my mind and went with a sump instead. Being a noob I was too scared to drill my brand new tank so I went the HOB overflow route and picked up a Eshopps PF800 ( same design as Lifereef ). As was mentioned they are noisy so I made a Stockman standpipe for it and it's very quite now, check out videos, it's really easy and cheap to make. In the 2 years of operation I haven't had any issues with this setup.

OP
OP
S

saraeelove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started 2 years ago I was about to use a canister filter, but after researching I changed my mind and went with a sump instead. Being a noob I was too scared to drill my brand new tank so I went the HOB overflow route and picked up a Eshopps PF800 ( same design as Lifereef ). As was mentioned they are noisy so I made a Stockman standpipe for it and it's very quite now, check out videos, it's really easy and cheap to make. In the 2 years of operation I haven't had any issues with this setup.

I am worried that if I get an Eshopp overflow box ,
If you put a valve on the return you can pinpoint the correct flow for the box. Eshopps makes fine overflows as well, but need to be quieted.

As far as flow a good 600 gph pump minus the head pressure so you get about 400 gph would be more than fine(10x tank) imho. I do about 5x. The Rio 10HF would be fine with the valve on the return mentioned, but buy 2 because you want a backup for failure.

The marine depot box will work fine, but be loud like the eshopps without silencing it. You can find the silencing video on youtube, but the lifereef would probably be the better option.

I would go to a bigger sump like a 20L or 30 since they are really cheap and will allow for back drain from the return if siphon is created. No mess and not much cost up front. You could even make a small chamber for your ATO.

So at longest I get 400 gph going into my tank?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Eheim Compact 2000 will be enough for a overflow box. Eshoop overflow box's are fine I have the Lifereef one, you need a lot of flow through them to keep the bubbles out, also get a Tom's Aqua Lifter w/ air line tubing and solid airline tubing so you can suck the bubbles out of the U-tube also buy a second one for mantience purposes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back