Garage sump. Good idea or bad?

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys. So I have a pretty straight shot and easy false shelf wall I could run pvc through for a garage based sump. However my garage is a typical garage that gets used for garage like things. For those of you that have done something like this how have you kept your tank clean and uncontaminated?
My garage seems to be well insulated though I will be getting a smart temp probe that will record the temperature fluctuations. I have a fish room but the return and drain would have to go up around a door way and I’m pretty sure that would be too much for the drain.

Attachments

• IMG_4337.mov
    24.5 MB

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as long as you're not using harsh chemicals near the tank I'd think it would be fine, temperature permitting...

OP
OP
L

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell ya now the temp is the main issue. After that it's bugs... everything else is fine if you have the sump covered.
Luckily my garage is insulated. The garage door even has the insulating foam boards in each segment.
Still going to take temps for a while though.

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily my garage is insulated. The garage door even has the insulating foam boards in each segment.
Still going to take temps for a while though.
It doesn't matter if it's insulated or not. I don't know where you live but here, the winters kept my two 400w heaters on all the time.

OP
OP
L

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get two weeks of snow max. It doesn’t get that bad here. Im in the Pacific Northwest.
I don’t even have to wear socks and shoes in the garage most nights in the winter.
It doesn't matter if it's insulated or not. I don't know where you live but here, the winters kept my two 400w heaters on all the time.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say go for it if you get your plumbing worked out. Get some of the Pink Foam Board, and build an insulated box, around the sump. Just lift it off, when working on the sump. Sleeve the Plumbing in some Computer cable flex hose, large enough to get ventilation from the house, for your foam enclosure. BTW, how far does this setup, place you from a sink?

Brett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine entire fish room/systems are in my garage. But my garage is insulated and heated with radiant heat. You'll also want/might need some type of humidity control system in the summer or your garage will be humid/things will rust. I ended up adding an AC system to handle moisture. One possible benefit of using the garage, more fresh air than the house, so CO2 should be lower. My PH runs between 8.1 and 8.2 without using any kalk or Co2 scrubbing. I will add my garage is a little unique, I live on the coast, so my house is elevated due to flood plain constraints. It's more like I have an above ground basement, 1800 Sqrft, and I park two cars in it everyday. My sump is located next to my cars.

Point is, I had concerns similar to yours initially, but not an issue for me (besides needing to add humidity control).

Good luck

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add, I’d love to put a mini split heat pump in my garage. On a couple rare occasions, it has come close to freezing. During the Summer it is too hot and humid to work in. Moisture from Vehicles is a concern too.

acrocapital

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a garage sump, battling about 27’ of head pressure. Mistakes I learned go bigger on drain lines initially 2” pond tubing is what I wish I went with. And pumps reeflo pumps will leak, iwaki is currently what I am using and it’s holding well.
img_9479-jpeg.3547819
IMG_9466.jpeg
IMG_1644.jpeg
IMG_1649.jpeg
IMG_1648.jpeg
IMG_1646.jpeg
IMG_1652.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9479.jpeg
    IMG_9479.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 83

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a garage sump, battling about 27’ of head pressure. Mistakes I learned go bigger on drain lines initially 2” pond tubing is what I wish I went with. And pumps reeflo pumps will leak, iwaki is currently what I am using and it’s holding well.
img_9479-jpeg.3547819
IMG_9466.jpeg
IMG_1644.jpeg
IMG_1649.jpeg
IMG_1648.jpeg
IMG_1646.jpeg
IMG_1652.jpeg
holy crap that's some industrial kit! nice!

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add, I’d love to put a mini split heat pump in my garage. On a couple rare occasions, it has come close to freezing. During the Summer it is too hot and humid to work in. Moisture from Vehicles is a concern too.
Super easy...look up MrCool DIY....no permits, no special wiring, no gas charging.....plugs into regular power outlet....alll DIY....did my garage with it.....2 hour job.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My concern is open saltwater near my vehicles. My daily (and my wife's) is traded in often enough not to care. 9 months out of the year I drive my HellCat home though, not really comfortable with an open sump of saltwater next to a car I plan to keep for an extended period of time

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back