Getting Back to Hobby Soon

PharmrJohn

Maker of Mac & Cheese
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings one and all. It's been awhile. I used to be a regular on 3reef, but on returning, it was a ghost town. Seriously, ever seen that Twilight Zone with that dude that was the only guy in town? I was that guy. I saw that on a rather exhaustive forum search that R2R was affiliated, so here I am.

My old tank has been sitting in the same place for about 8 years give or take. Dead. And that's OK. It died almost overnight (cause unknown) and I didn't have the cash to revive it and move forward. In this time period, I have forgotten much of my knowledge base. It's there. And it's coming back, I just need reminding. I'm going to start slow. Sloooowww. My Signature shows a bunch of outdated equipment and much will need to be replaced. My plan is to use some of what I had. I am going to buy new pumps, all the way around. I'll keep my lighting (a T5 array), but buy new bulbs (I used to run around 14K on the average if memory serves). I'm going to replace all the PVC. I'm keeping my old, very touchy, skimmer for the time being. I'm going to keep my tank if it's still good. It was relatively new at the time and 90G is a good size for me. I want to do corals. The livestock will center around what will be introduced in about 1 year from rebirth. Said livestock will be in place and stable before move in this direction. I have all the rock I need. I am unsure about a sandbed. I think that is what did killed my tank. My husbandry was excellent, so I cannot think of anything else that could have killed it so fast. Prior to setting up the tank, I'll cycle my rock in a garbage can to get a head start.

Over the years, I am sure that new and improved methods of digital information can be gleaned from the water and sent to a smart phone. Back in the day, that sort of tech was a tad out of reach financially, but now, I am excited to see what is out there. Also, lighting equipment has probably changed (T5s and Halides were the mainstay back then, with LEDs too expensive to deal with). My skimmer was a good one and did the job well. But it will have to be changed out one of these years. So the plan is....

1.) Break down the old tank and figure out what I had going and how I had it working. Also, break down the fuge and figure out what I had going there
2.) Clean the rock and get it ready (I don't know how to do this, cleaning it that is. I know how to cycle)
3.) Get the plumbing figured out and cut to fit for future build
4.) Get a new return configuration
5.) Get new pumps (figure out what is considered optimal these days. I think it the ratio was 50:1)
6.) See if the 90G tank is still seaworthy
7.) .....That's the basic start up plan

I am not planning on plugging this whole thing in until between September and December of this year, to give time to redo my flooring underneath where I want the tank to be and to buy equipment in such a way that the wife doesn't have a heart attack.

Any help and recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. PJ.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3E04C8BC-7171-4125-A3D0-6DDDFADF3AB2.gif

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice plan! I think you should go to your family doctor and have your physician prescribe you a 90 gallon reef tank. That way you can spend all the money you'll need to stay healthy, keep the wife happy, and be able to deduct all the expense next year at tax time.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! We love tank builds! Well, I do anyway. Soak the rock in like a 15% bleach to water solution in a big garbage can for a week and just scrub off loose debris first. Rinse the rock clean and then cure it for a while. If you dont have an RO/DI system you might want to look into that. As for pumps... look into the new DC style pumps. You can vary the speed on them and they're nearly silent. Eco-Tech has a line called Vectra. The S1 1400 GPH, M1 2000 GPH, L1 is 3100 GPH. Vertex, Skimz, and Reef Octopus make nice skimmers. Check out the Neptune Apex controller. Those things have come a long way. You can keep a good handle on things with it constantly monitoring your system. Plus it is expandable to do more as your needs grow. I'm with you on the old school lighting... I still like T5 and Halide. But I think with my new build I am going to have to do led because I dont want to do a chiller to compensate for the fluctuations in temp due to the amount of halide light I will need to fill a 36" tall tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back