Getting started with SPS. Extra Tips?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing softies and LPS for a long while now, everything is doing spectacularly. I've decided I am going to try my hand at some simple SPS corals: a red monticap and a green birdsnest. I've heard these are the easiest SPS to care for and are less picky than others. I will be testing every two days or so with the Red Sea Foundation Pro test kit (Alk, Mg, Ca), and then dosing accordingly.
Any extra tips about placement or care? From my research I have decided to place them both around the middle of the tank, giving them lots of room to grow, and I have also upped the flow slightly.
Thanks for any tips and suggestions, Thomas

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are on the right track! Stability will be key, but good choice by turning up the flow. Just remember that monti will grow and shade anything underneath, so place it accordingly. Good luck and happy reefing!

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear I am setting myself up for success, but in this hobby nothing is 100%. I moved my duncan around because I figured where it was, the birdsnest could easily cover it, or even impale it. Very excited about this new step in my reefing journey!

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are on the right track! Stability will be key, but good choice by turning up the flow. Just remember that monti will grow and shade anything underneath, so place it accordingly. Good luck and happy reefing!
Actually I do have a question about flow: do I need to keep my powerhead on 24/7? Or do I turn it off at night?

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, leave it on. Flow doesn't relax at night on the reef! You should be fine with those corals, I see no reason why you couldn't add some cheap acros as well!

Right now water changes should suffice, but once the corals start taking off you'll obviously need to dose. For placement, put them lower in the tank at first to get them acclimated to the light. You can move them up a little every few days.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, leave it on. Flow doesn't relax at night on the reef! You should be fine with those corals, I see no reason why you couldn't add some cheap acros as well!

Right now water changes should suffice, but once the corals start taking off you'll obviously need to dose. For placement, put them lower in the tank at first to get them acclimated to the light. You can move them up a little every few days.
Im going to do water changes and dosing just to get everything going well.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update: got my shipment today, added everything ran some tests, everything is good! Ca, Mg, Alk, I, are all good. Corals look awesome too! The birdsnest opened up quickly, I have had it for less than 5 hours and it's already my favorite coral :) SPS is so cool!!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad can anyone tell me how I can tell if my SPS is happy? Mine are currently very colorful, polyps extended. The monticap is hard to tell.
Well if there not brown, and not white, and are generally colourful and growing there probably happy.

Just maintain stable water parameters within ‘normal levels’ and adequate lighting and that’s it. Especially keep an eye on alkalinity and nutrient levels

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sound happy to me. How big is the tank? Are you going to keep it as mixed reef? The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to be aware of your placement and be PATIENT. SPS have a habit of initial slow growth that will tempt you to get more coral and place them "appropriately" spaced. Then your older coral will start a growth spurt that will catch you by surprise and frustrate you when everything starts growing into each other.
152A3447-BDC7-41D8-9A1E-F74BC4D52282.jpeg
0B9027CD-4482-4101-B5AF-20CD5DD20041.jpeg

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sound happy to me. How big is the tank? Are you going to keep it as mixed reef? The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to be aware of your placement and be PATIENT. SPS have a habit of initial slow growth that will tempt you to get more coral and place them "appropriately" spaced. Then your older coral will start a growth spurt that will catch you by surprise and frustrate you when everything starts growing into each other.
152A3447-BDC7-41D8-9A1E-F74BC4D52282.jpeg
0B9027CD-4482-4101-B5AF-20CD5DD20041.jpeg
Tank is 20g, currently mixed reef, with softies, LPS and now two SPS frags. I don't really plan on buying more corals for now, maybe just a frag of stylophora, I basically just want to grow everything out.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep alkalinity stable. Find a spot with your nutrients (PO4 and NO3) and keep them there. Don’t go adding any magical potions in a bottle that promise you this and that. I’ve found that not messing with my tank keeps all of my corals happy.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep alkalinity stable. Find a spot with your nutrients (PO4 and NO3) and keep them there. Don’t go adding any magical potions in a bottle that promise you this and that. I’ve found that not messing with my tank keeps all of my corals happy.
Finished running all of my tests, as of now everything is stable, but it seems my Mg is high. Is that something I need to be worried about?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished running all of my tests, as of now everything is stable, but it seems my Mg is high. Is that something I need to be worried about?
How high is your Mg? Don’t quote me on this as I’m not a chemist. Calcium ions and carbonate ions interact to form calcium carbonate. If magnesium is too high, it prevents calcium and carbonate to work together. Hence, you will see you alkalinity and calcium not getting used up as fast as it should. In short, your corals will be stunted in growth.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back