Glass scratched

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my waterbox for almost 2 years and all of a sudden large scratches are showing up everywhere on the inside of the tank. What is going on? Is it from my flipper magnet cleaner? I just threw it in the trash. There was no sand on it but why is it causing these scratches? Any real way to buff the scratches out without draining my tank? I’m done cleaning my glass with any blade/magnet.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my waterbox for almost 2 years and all of a sudden large scratches are showing up everywhere on the inside of the tank. What is going on? Is it from my flipper magnet cleaner? I just threw it in the trash. There was no sand on it but why is it causing these scratches? Any real way to buff the scratches out without draining my tank? I’m done cleaning my glass with any blade/magnet.
Rescue that flipper! It can be used as a handy nori clip.

It's possible that the blade became twisted or scarred and that this scored your glass; it's also possible that you've scratched it in some other way and that algae is now growing in the grooves, making them more visible.

Have you contated Waterbox? They'd be in the best position, by far, to tell you if the scratches can be buffed out.

OP
OP
S

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rescue that flipper! It can be used as a handy nori clip.

It's possible that the blade became twisted or scarred and that this scored your glass; it's also possible that you've scratched it in some other way and that algae is now growing in the grooves, making them more visible.

Have you contated Waterbox? They'd be in the best position, by far, to tell you if the scratches can be buffed out.
Thank you for the advice, could it also be that I left the flipper in the tank for almost a week? Maybe algae grew on it? Totally my fault but I didn’t expect anything to happen where it scratches my glass. I’m going to shoot waterbox an email to see if there’s anything I can do. Thank you

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice, could it also be that I left the flipper in the tank for almost a week? Maybe algae grew on it? Totally my fault but I didn’t expect anything to happen where it scratches my glass. I’m going to shoot waterbox an email to see if there’s anything I can do. Thank you
No, I don't think that would be the cause.

This may be unhelpful, but try to train your mind not to see the scratches -- it's like having floaters in your eyes. If the scratches are merely cosmetic, and do not affect the integrity of the tank, then you can ignore them. I gouged several unpleasant scratches into the front of a used RSM250 I moved myself -- ratchet straps will do that -- and then realized that I was the only one who cared. Lighting changes made them barely visible in the end.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that it's scratched, you'll get over it. We all will scratch glass, it's just a matter of when. More than likely you got sand under the scraper at some point. Low iron tanks just tend to make it more noticeable.

Edit:
@davidcalgary29 said, learn to look past it or be prepared to buy a new display or replace the glass pane. Buffing is a pain and you have to drain the tank to try.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats why I dont use these algae scrapers , I have had my share of scratched tanks over the years. Sorry I know VERY disheartening>

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back