Glass sump repair help

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 26, 2016
Messages
1,611
Reaction score
3,282
Location
Hudson Valley, NY
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey R2R,
I recently purchased a stand and the gentleman was nice enough to throw in a sump that has some chips missing from shipping damage. They’re not very deep and only on one corner. I think I can use the sump if I reinforce it? I took a couple pictures or the chips and used a chunk of foam to show how I was thinking of laying the glass in there. I think the first foam pic is the way to go. Couple other questions. Do I just seal around the edges of the reinforcement glass or do it stick it in there like a piece of tile and silicone it like crazy? Do the pieces of glass need to be the exact full length of that section or slightly shorter to allow for silicone joint? How thick should the glass be? I don’t think I really need to reinforce but I’d feel better that way. Thanks!!

28B1AC9D-688A-4B66-8573-3905E785BF80.jpeg 909017B5-20FF-47D6-B1E8-6294F3764792.jpeg 44B12F14-9614-4787-9F5C-5F6CA87C3944.jpeg 2A7A6335-FEA5-4176-B084-47CC711EE557.jpeg 1BC43A14-910B-4639-9CD8-305E8BCD28B2.jpeg 2083BBAD-8EB2-4DCD-B979-2F6C5B8A9F68.jpeg
 
Hard to tell from pics, but if chipped I wouldn't use.
 
Ever seen a small chip in a windshield turn into a huge crack?
Point taken, it’s just such a nice sump it seems like a shame not to use it. Maybe I’ll explore replacing the entire panel. Thanks!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new