Golden Dwarf Moray- Feeding Schedule

BenitaSolo

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 27, 2017
Messages
307
Reaction score
141
Location
Milford
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellows,
About 2 months ago I picked up a golden dwarf moray from my LFS. The eel began to accept frozen from the feeder tongs within a week. Thus far I have been feeding bay scallops and shrimp from the grocery deli counter.

I have been feeding 5-6 times per week with 1-2 'chunks' per days I feed.
I know they don't necessarily need fed everyday. I don't think I am doing anything wrong or that the fish is in peril. I just want to make sure I am doing it right!
Questions-
-What else should I feed?
-How big should the pieces be? (this is the real question) I just don't know if I am feeding enough. The pieces I shoot for are about 1/2" sized chunks.
-How often should I feed?
 
Eels only need to be fed a couple times a week.

Fresh seafood is great.

Keep the food to a manageable size for him.
 
Mine tells me when he's hungry (he's sticks out of his cave more than usual and his mouth is open), Usually once or twice a week but sometimes as long as 3 weeks. A few krill, a small shrimp, half a silverside-gut loaded, small clam, cut up squid. Sizes - nothing bigger than the circumference of his body. Variety is the key as I never feed the same food 2 times in a row..
 
Yeah I understand variety is key.
I was thinking that the reason it was eating every single time I offered food is because the chunks are too small and as a result I am underfeeding.
 
the 1st month or so my eel ate a ton, almost daily and a lot. I think it was starving from transit and bulking back up. The last year a steady 2 to 3 times a week.. will reject food if i try to do more often. Yes they will let you know, mine sticks his head out much farther from cave. I call it begging for food but have a feeling more looking for something to grab and eat when swims by.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new