Goniopora declining

jschrecongost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

My ORA Red goniopora has not been thriving the last few months. After I purchased it, it grew exceptionally well and was always very extended. I’ve had it through a variety of conditions, including alk anywhere between 5 and 14 at various points.

My parameters are very stable now, and lighting and flow have not changed since the coral was thriving. I’ve even started dosing manganese but only a small amount since I’m not doing icp tests. My nutrients are fairly low, but the Goni has looked like this since about April, when nutrients were high at points.

Still my best hypothesis is that it’s getting too much light. The top half is very pale and extending less than near the base. Any thoughts? The pic where it looks good is from March and it hasn’t extended like that since.

Parameters are as follows:

Alk-8.5-9
Cal 440
Mag 1400
Nitrates 10
Phosphates 0.05

The only ones that have changed much recently are the nutrients, and it’s looked like this for months with different nutrient levels. Additionally I am feeding it reef roids once every few weeks as I have done since I’ve gotten it. I also do weekly water changes with IO salt.

Thanks so much!
Josh

IMG_4799.jpeg IMG_4269.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all,

My ORA Red goniopora has not been thriving the last few months. After I purchased it, it grew exceptionally well and was always very extended. I’ve had it through a variety of conditions, including alk anywhere between 5 and 14 at various points.

My parameters are very stable now, and lighting and flow have not changed since the coral was thriving. I’ve even started dosing manganese but only a small amount since I’m not doing icp tests. My nutrients are fairly low, but the Goni has looked like this since about April, when nutrients were high at points.

Still my best hypothesis is that it’s getting too much light. The top half is very pale and extending less than near the base. Any thoughts? The pic where it looks good is from March and it hasn’t extended like that since.

Parameters are as follows:

Alk-8.5-9
Cal 440
Mag 1400
Nitrates 10
Phosphates 0.05

The only ones that have changed much recently are the nutrients, and it’s looked like this for months with different nutrient levels. Additionally I am feeding it reef roids once every few weeks as I have done since I’ve gotten it. I also do weekly water changes with IO salt.

Thanks so much!
Josh

IMG_4799.jpeg IMG_4269.jpeg
A couple questions - are you feeding it directly? i.e there are special foods for goniopora - which I would recommend.

I can tell you, thought - as many will - I bought 2 of them - they were from the same store, the same tank - one lived for 5 years (until a controller issue occurred) - the second one - steadily declined. With these corals sometimes it's hard to tell. Many will supplement iron/manganese - which I believe Kent still makes.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Numbers look OK. What is the par and flow level.
Interesting - is that the coral did fine - so - I'm not sure thats the issue. (UNLESS - it was changed). I have had perhaps 50 goniopora, and its crazy - 0ne that has been doing well for xxxx months - all the sudden does poorly. The Hawaii aquarium has found luck with sunlight (suggesting our LED's set to blues may be part of the problem), IDK. Also - they need relatively 'dirty' (not chemically) - but particulate - which I think is why feeding is important for success

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - is that the coral did fine - so - I'm not sure thats the issue. (UNLESS - it was changed). I have had perhaps 50 goniopora, and its crazy - 0ne that has been doing well for xxxx months - all the sudden does poorly. The Hawaii aquarium has found luck with sunlight (suggesting our LED's set to blues may be part of the problem), IDK. Also - they need relatively 'dirty' (not chemically) - but particulate - which I think is why feeding is important for success
It's only been in the tank a few months per the OP. Corals decline from inside out typically and can take weeks or months to show the decline externally as it is currently showing.

Early on I had corals decline and thought my radion lights were perfect at 50% intensity along with MP40s at 45%. Boy was I wrong. My lights now run at 100% intensity and my MP40s peak at 26% even with SPS dominant mixed reef and I have substantial growth and color now.

OP
OP
J

jschrecongost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only been in the tank a few months per the OP. Corals decline from inside out typically and can take weeks or months to show the decline externally as it is currently showing.

Early on I had corals decline and thought my radion lights were perfect at 50% intensity along with MP40s at 45%. Boy was I wrong. My lights now run at 100% intensity and my MP40s peak at 26% even with SPS dominant mixed reef and I have substantial growth and color now.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I've had the coral for a few years and it grew very well up until about April of this year. Issue has been since April. I directly feed it reef roids and also broadcast feed the tank AB+ and Acropower.

Thanks!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree though sometimes a coral just goes south for unexplained reasons which may be the case here too. Here is an example of my current flow and lighting.

Attachments

• 20231105_141234.mp4
    53.4 MB

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I've had the coral for a few years and it grew very well up until about April of this year. Issue has been since April. I directly feed it reef roids and also broadcast feed the tank AB+ and Acropower.

Thanks!
Oh ok I misunderstood, then it's probably like MnFish indicated. Sometimes they just go south for reasons unknown? Pests? Bacteria infection?

OP
OP
J

jschrecongost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers look OK. What is the par and flow level.
I did a par test once and numbers were really low but I think it was the meter. It's a 3' x 2' x 20" 75 gallon and I have 2 Gen 5 Xr15 Pro's at 70%, which has been constant for about 2 years.

Flow is pretty high since the top half of the tank is primarily acropora frags. Still pretty steady for a long time.

Based on the top half looking so pale my best guess is too much light somehow. My plan is to move it into the back corner where it will get less par and flow.

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple questions - are you feeding it directly? i.e there are special foods for goniopora - which I would recommend.

I can tell you, thought - as many will - I bought 2 of them - they were from the same store, the same tank - one lived for 5 years (until a controller issue occurred) - the second one - steadily declined. With these corals sometimes it's hard to tell. Many will supplement iron/manganese - which I believe Kent still makes.
I don't have any Goni but I've been doing a lot of research as I always do. One thing that I've learned is they need to be fed. Amino acids is a good start.

I wish you the best of luck as I want a Goni in my new build.

OP
OP
J

jschrecongost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok I misunderstood, then it's probably like MnFish indicated. Sometimes they just go south for reasons unknown? Pests? Bacteria infection?
I'm considering dipping (probably coral revive and iodine) it to see if that can help. My hesitation is that I try that with acropora that are either stn or rtn but haven't succeeded with that at all, though that has not been for quite a while. Perhaps considering using chemiclean in the dip like the kfc dip.

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a par test once and numbers were really low but I think it was the meter. It's a 3' x 2' x 20" 75 gallon and I have 2 Gen 5 Xr15 Pro's at 70%, which has been constant for about 2 years.

Flow is pretty high since the top half of the tank is primarily acropora frags. Still pretty steady for a long time.

Based on the top half looking so pale my best guess is too much light somehow. My plan is to move it into the back corner where it will get less par and flow.
That is another I've heard. People who have luck with Goni have moved them a few times until it looks happy. PAR should be about 50-100 from what I gather, and flow med and random.

OP
OP
J

jschrecongost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is another I've heard. People who have luck with Goni have moved them a few times until it looks happy. PAR should be about 50-100 from what I gather, and flow med and random.
Yeah I am wondering if it is too much flow but it used to love high flow. Additionally other Goni frags right near it are happy. My best guess for par there is probably 125 but just an educated guess.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm considering dipping (probably coral revive and iodine) it to see if that can help. My hesitation is that I try that with acropora that are either stn or rtn but haven't succeeded with that at all, though that has not been for quite a while. Perhaps considering using chemiclean in the dip like the kfc dip.
I would say no. Just feed it.... ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I am wondering if it is too much flow but it used to love high flow. Additionally other Goni frags right near it are happy. My best guess for par there is probably 125 but just an educated guess.
They tolerate the tide coming in and out. IF the flow is intermittent - IMHO no issue

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The key is - the Goni frags are happy....

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was running my XR15 pros at 70% also and was shocked how low the par was when I rented a par meter. Mine run 100% intensity now on AB plus setting. My tank is 36x22x22

OP
OP
J

jschrecongost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also worth mentioning that I somehow neglected but my clowns host the Goni, or other way around, whichever is the correct term. They have been for better part of a year. I think this may have an impact, but the lower parts of the coral which they are in contact with the most are the parts doing the best.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not chemiclean but if you have any ciprofloaxin instead.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will tell you this, I had a red one decline and die on me some months back. It was shaded out by a big birdsnest colony. I completely removed the flower pot coral. I gave the birdsnest to my LFS. Which opened up light again. Now there must have been goni DNA left on the rock. A tiny polyp sprouted and now months later it has grown into frag size.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back