Goniopora declining

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online everybody says the trick is manganese. They say you get the coral, it looks great for a few months or even a year, then it depletes the manganese and dies.

I give mine manganese and it's doing great but it hasn't been long enough for me to claim to be an expert. It's just a data point to consider.

Maybe get an ICP test?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You think it might be growing and that's why it has been closing up kind of like branching corals do when they are going through splits?
No - but it can still take up food

OP
OP
J

jschrecongost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to move it to the back corner of the tank temporarily and see if that resolves the issue. Should help if it's a light/flow issue. If that doesn't seem to work I'd think bacterial infection.

Thanks for suggestions and help!

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

My ORA Red goniopora has not been thriving the last few months. After I purchased it, it grew exceptionally well and was always very extended. I’ve had it through a variety of conditions, including alk anywhere between 5 and 14 at various points.

My parameters are very stable now, and lighting and flow have not changed since the coral was thriving. I’ve even started dosing manganese but only a small amount since I’m not doing icp tests. My nutrients are fairly low, but the Goni has looked like this since about April, when nutrients were high at points.

Still my best hypothesis is that it’s getting too much light. The top half is very pale and extending less than near the base. Any thoughts? The pic where it looks good is from March and it hasn’t extended like that since.

Parameters are as follows:

Alk-8.5-9
Cal 440
Mag 1400
Nitrates 10
Phosphates 0.05

The only ones that have changed much recently are the nutrients, and it’s looked like this for months with different nutrient levels. Additionally I am feeding it reef roids once every few weeks as I have done since I’ve gotten it. I also do weekly water changes with IO salt.

Thanks so much!
Josh

IMG_4799.jpeg IMG_4269.jpeg
It looks like the numbers you have provided are good and if you're doing regular water changes with reef salt it'll be replacing the trace elements which can cause color loss. You may try 2-3 days a week with acro power with spot feeding and have the tank slack. It won't have to be extended that way to feed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back