Good Morning!

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having had an experience where my employer forced me into an absurd commute situation and it ended up almost ruining my career despite my commitment to my job….

I can’t say I know enough to empathize with all you’re going through but I’ve had some things happen…@CMMorgan

but I’m only a pm away to vent.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you doctor says your job is doing this to you, workmen's comp.
The company is too small, and it was a preexisting condition. The job has just made it worse. I don't think I have a claim here. I'll ask my HR husband in the morning but I think companies under so many employees and exempt. We don't even get insurance. We get a monthly allowance to put towards buying our own.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take FMLA and do you have any disability benefits?

What happens if your doctor puts a temporary medical restriction on you?

How does changing jobs affect your health insurance?
Company is too small for FMLA.
Good question on the medical restrictions... but that restriction pretty much eliminates my ability to do my job, so ... not sure where that leaves me. I may just need to suck it up and call the agency owner and give him the heads up as to what is happening. In a fantasy world, he finds a solution to keep me. In reality, he will probably start looking for my replacement.
My insurance is through my husband, so no issue there other than my paycheck.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having had an experience where my employer forced me into an absurd commute situation and it ended up almost ruining my career despite my commitment to my job….

I can’t say I know enough to empathize with all you’re going through but I’ve had some things happen…@CMMorgan

but I’m only a pm away to vent.
Thank you. That is my fear... both opportunities provide a company car. My current commute is about an hour and I do spend my life on the road. One of the opportunities would start my territory about 80 miles north of my house. I really think that is a relocation option only. The other covers a wider area but part of it is only 30 minutes north, so at least every day isn't 4 hours just driving. Still a lot to think about. I'm just overwhelmed.
I do greatly appreciate the shoulder.... thanks.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. That is my fear... both opportunities provide a company car. My current commute is about an hour and I do spend my life on the road. One of the opportunities would start my territory about 80 miles north of my house. I really think that is a relocation option only. The other covers a wider area but part of it is only 30 minutes north, so at least every day isn't 4 hours just driving. Still a lot to think about. I'm just overwhelmed.
So what if you just quit? You need to think outside the box. Your job is breaking your parts.
Take some time, get fixed, heal up, finish that degree. Sell the second car, cook at home.
Do something completely different.
I have been a pharmacy technician, store manager, CEO, Mainframe computer operator, Real estate appraiser,
telephone repair technician and 911 system installer. I never became invested in a career, just a paycheck.
You would be surprised how well general skills and a work ethic translate across different job opportunities.

And now I am nothing and you would be surprised how well you can make that work when you are forced to.
You will have to quit anyway when there is nothing left of you to work.

Last edited:

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont wish to alienate you so I am going to butt out of your business now with this final comment.
You are in so much pain you cant sleep at night but now you are talking about moving your household or working farther away.

I know you got slighted at work. It happens. I worked at the phone company when that was a big monopoly still. I was the first person hired off the street into the pay grade of top craft. I beat out 400 other applicants. I almost got beat up.
I must have been someone importants son or something. The was a labor issue and they came after me in a bathroom.
Top craft made more than 1st level management.

The most eminently qualified person for any job advancement was some managers family member. Even if they had zero skills. I had a manager with a history degree that didn't know how to use a screwdriver. True story.

I will say no more and go back to cat pictures now. I wish you the very best and hope you find a way that makes you happy and satisfied.
Good reefing to you.

Last edited:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what if you just quit? You need to think outside the box. Your job is breaking your parts.
Take some time, get fixed, heal up, finish that degree. Sell the second car, cook at home.
Do something completely different.
I have been a pharmacy technician, store manager, CEO, Mainframe computer operator, Real estate appraiser,
telephone repair technician and 911 system installer. I never became invested in a career, just a paycheck.
You would be surprised how well general skills and a work ethic translate across different job opportunities.

And now I am nothing and you would be surprised how well you can make that work when you are forced to.
You will have to quit anyway when there is nothing left of you to work.
Real estate ... that is a consideration.
Quitting .... slowing down ... I am a workaholic textbook definition of a Capricorn.
Just the idea of this makes me hyperventilate.
Scared Birds GIF

I do think that I am going to just live in denial until I speak directly with the surgeon. The ARNP did not tell me to stop working or give me restrictions. That is either because she did not think she had to or that I can keep going a while. Until I hear from a surgeon that I need to step off of merry go round, I'm going to keep spinning.
I applied for three positions with the competitor last night. I'm going to keep my eyes open for other opportunities and wait until I have more information to talk to the boss. I'll see how the interview goes on Monday and see where that leads. All of this sounded good at 4 am when the meds wore off and I felt like talking it out with my poor husband who would have rather been sleeping.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real estate ... that is a consideration.
Quitting .... slowing down ... I am a workaholic textbook definition of a Capricorn.
Just the idea of this makes me hyperventilate.
Scared Birds GIF

I do think that I am going to just live in denial until I speak directly with the surgeon. The ARNP did not tell me to stop working or give me restrictions. That is either because she did not think she had to or that I can keep going a while. Until I hear from a surgeon that I need to step off of merry go round, I'm going to keep spinning.
I applied for three positions with the competitor last night. I'm going to keep my eyes open for other opportunities and wait until I have more information to talk to the boss. I'll see how the interview goes on Monday and see where that leads. All of this sounded good at 4 am when the meds wore off and I felt like talking it out with my poor husband who would have rather been sleeping.
They will not unless you ask them to. For some people a job restriction is a kiss of death so to speak so the doctors will not usually start that conversation.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont with to alienate you so I am going to butt out of your business now with this final comment.

You are in so much pain you cant sleep at night but now you are talking about moving your household or working farther away.

I know you got slighted at work. It happens. I worked at the phone company when that was a big monopoly still. I was the first person hired off the street into the pay grade of top craft. I beat out 400 other applicants. I almost got beat up.
I must have been someone importants son or something. The was a labor issue and they came after me in a bathroom.
Top craft made more than 1st level management.

The most eminently qualified person for any job advancement was some managers family member. Even if they had zero skills. I had a manager with a history degree that didn't know how to use a screwdriver. True story.

I will say no more and go back to cat pictures now. I wish you the very best and hope you find a way that makes you happy and satisfied.
Good reefing to you.
You are 100% right and I am not unappreciative or alienated in any way. The other jobs are in the same field but with different responsibilities that can extend my career without pain. What I do now is much more physical. I think I just need to hold on until I know more. I simply do not know what this surgery is going to entail or what the aftermath will look like.
I am just trying to set up where I will land when it is all over.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This very thing happened to me about 6 years ago. I was in the same career, financial auditor, for a very large healthcare conglomerate. I'm salaried, so no compensation for overtime. We were constantly pressured to work 50+ hours per week. One day I calculated my needed work time based on my budgeted assignments and I would have had to work 23 hours per day for the rest of the year to meet my goals....I'm not kidding.

I showed up for a routine doctors appt and my BP was off the charts. The nurse kept coming in to check my BP and I was getting more and more upset every time she walked in the room, so that wasn't helping. My BP finally came down and my doctor asked what on earth was going on....he looked me straight in the eye and asked why I was letting this job do this to me. I went home strapped to a Holter monitor for 24 hours. Everything was ok, but husband said ENOUGH, and I turned in my notice. I ended up taking about a year off, where I was able to help with my elderly mother, help my sister after surgery, and just get my act together.

I went back into a similar job as a part-time contractor under a different company (no way I was going back to the other one) and eventually went back full time (yet a different company). I'm starting to feel the heat again with pressure for OT, but this time I can actually call it quits for good. I'd like to hold out until fall.

@CMMorgan, I hope you can find the right path. Your health (mental and physical) are worth it!

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are 100% right and I am not unappreciative or alienated in any way. The other jobs are in the same field but with different responsibilities that can extend my career without pain. What I do now is much more physical. I think I just need to hold on until I know more. I simply do not know what this surgery is going to entail or what the aftermath will look like.
I am just trying to set up where I will land when it is all over.
There isn't much worse than direct nerve pain and horrible pain in parts of you that have nothing wrong with them.
I can tell you after my nerve release I felt better than I had in 10 years. They made me get up and be active right after the surgery. It reduces the swelling around the spinal area. I enjoyed pacing the hall because my left leg worked again.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning! I'm going to try to make myself take a walk. I decided if I get up and put on my walking clothes/shoes right away, it might happen....well, it has a better chance than if I'm sitting around in my bathrobe until noon, which is my preferred Saturday attire.

I hope you all have a great day. We all need to take better care of ourselves. Our fish friends need us! :)

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning!
CMM, I think i agree with Ned.
I was underemployed for years. that has its upside and downsides. i realized it was not feeding me so i went to work. due to issues of a physical nature, labor. pushing a shovel, became painful. but i did it anyway. I woke up one day and tried to psych myself into another difficult day because that was what i HAD to DO. i said to myself ' why don't you take the day off?' i asked me 'is that ok?' i said 'sure' I was so grateful and relieved. I found other work that didn't aggravate the damaged parts and was able to work relatively pain free for 27 years. When i realized that i was starting to 'lose a step' i was able to allow myself to retire and, again, see life in a new way.
think outside of your box my friend. you may be able to do what you need to; and see what it is you 'need' in a new light.
bless you. and all my companions-in-life. Viva la vida salada

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago I saw a picture in a textbook and I never forgot it.

A dog in a box standing with it front legs hooked over the side.

It was a psychology experiment. The floor of the box would shock the dog causing it pain. The box was low and the dog could jump out. The dog refused to momentarily put it's front feet down on the ground to be able to jump out of the box. That would increase it's pain though only momentarily, then it would be pain free.
It couldn't do it.

I vowed to never ever be that dog a long time ago. I have always jumped.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic day on the boat yesterday with 2 other couples. My wife was leary about going out because I have had a lot of boat problems in the last 2 weeks. Distributor caps, rotors, plugs, coils, then a few days ago it wouldn't start, just a big clank. I broke my cardinal rule and let the marina change the starter because this old body just wouldn't squeeze under the engine to do it.

Then I checked the oil and noticed it was 4 quarts overfilled OOOOOOooooNNNNNNNooo.
The only way that could happen is if, "One" I am senile and changed the oil but forgot to remove the old oil, or TWO, if it wasn't oil at all, but seawater. o_O

Good news, I am not senile, bad news, it's seawater. AAAAArrrrrrrrrrrr. That could mean a few things, none good.

I removed one of the four exhaust manifolds and there was a big hole in it so seawater, which is supposed to remain in the sea was filling my engine. ;Greedy

That left two things to do, #1, drain the oil/seawater mixture and use it for water changes in my tank, or #2, change the manifolds.

I had people coming out the next morning and it was already 3:00. I asked the marina mechanic to do it and he gave me an estimate of almost $6,000.00 and he needs two weeks to do it.

AAAAAAahhhhhhhhh That ain't going to happen. TWO weeks. :eek:

I speed to the boat parts store and dump $1,200.00 for the manifolds for one engine. I didn't think I was going to do this today so I had to borrow tools.

I had that manifold changed in 2 hours and changed the oil. I then go to start the engine and I hear......

CLICK.

I then remembered my first cardinal rule, never let anyone work on your boat, house ,car or change your kidney.

The kid didn't tighten up the wires on the starer. Of course he didn't. He was still there so I grabbed him by the collar and stufed him back under my engine to tighten up the wires.

Started it up and it purred like Cat woman from Batman.
Now I have 3 more of them to change but all is well again. :p

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 72 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back