sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Reefies
no sun this morning. light rain
corn will be "knee high by the 4th of july".
I predict large amounts of ducks this year.
can't be any worse than last year.
I get to go inside the hallowed halls of Cherry Corals tomorrow.:D:D:D
have really ok day.;)

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning
Fish are on truck to be delivered, Got cranked over nothing. I always was a self starter.

Happy anniversary baby - We decided to stay home and I will make us dinner. Chicken Saltimbocca which is the Italian version of Chicken Cordon Bleu. I havent made it in a long time.

I am having a problem I don't understand. Perhaps you could offer me some advice. I am on 3 drugs prescribed by the neurologist. He is one of the top guys in West Virginia for PD according to the internet.
as an example I was given Sinemet 25-100

Proscribing information freely available on the net.
Initially, levodopa 100 mg/carbidopa 25 mg (as 1 tablet) 3 times daily.

Increase dosage by levodopa 100 mg/carbidopa 25 mg (1 tablet) daily or every other day until a daily dosage of levodopa 800 mg/carbidopa 200 mg is reached or adverse effects prevent further increases or necessitate discontinuance.

What I was told to do
take 3 a day come back in 3 months
take 4 a day come back in 3 months
take 1 every 4 hours while awake come back in 3 months
Okay try this other med come back in 3 months

after many months I am taking both together and I am at 12 a day

after many more months they start me on a patch too. But not on the dose for the disease I have but the lowest one.
1mg is fine give me 2mg, 2mg is fine give me 4. 4mg/24hrs is supposed to be the minimal dose for PD

You see the pattern
If I call into the office and ask them to change the dose they do.
They also ask me how much are you taking now? Like they expect me to do this.

But I am basically self treating. They are changing the dose to one I am already taking and are one step behind me.

And yes I have asked them directly and haven't got an answer. 3 times in 3 different ways. They spout medical gobbledygook at me.

If you screw up with this stuff it can get really interesting.
You need to see a new doctor.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The girl at the nursery in Nashville called me to let me know my two Oncidiums arrived. The humidifier will be here today and I ordered a fan for air circulation (same fan I use over my tank). That will be here on Sunday.

I love orchids, but they don't love me! I have 4 now, in the kitchen, back window, indirect sunlight. I tried moving them to the covered deck last year, thinking they would like the humidity, but nope. Don't ask me what I have....other than a big white one and three others. The big white one blooms all the time. The other 3 never bloom. I treat them all the same way. Interestingly, the big white one is squashed in a pot with no holes. The other 3 are in "orchid" pots with holes. Maybe they all want to be squashed? Let me know if you have any suggestions!

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy anniversary baby - We decided to stay home and I will make us dinner. Chicken Saltimbocca which is the Italian version of Chicken Cordon Bleu. I havent made it in a long time.
Happy anniversary!

I wish I could help with the PD. I've been on the financial side of the medical world for a long time. I've found that neurologists can be the most difficult medical people to deal with. They also tend to be the busier practices and are generally backlogged. Unfortunately, even larger cities can be limited in the number of neurologists available. Do you have any other choices in who you can see?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mr. Johnson: “I want to speak with you about your son. I discovered him playing doctor with my daughter.”
Neighbor: “Well, it’s only natural for children that age to explore their sexuality in the form of play.”
Mr. Johnson: “He took out her appendix.”

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,
Up early making to-do lists and prepping for water change day. Going to Tampa for a working wkend again, I love it. Once a mom, always a mom.
Don't hurt your back!

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love orchids, but they don't love me! I have 4 now, in the kitchen, back window, indirect sunlight. I tried moving them to the covered deck last year, thinking they would like the humidity, but nope. Don't ask me what I have....other than a big white one and three others. The big white one blooms all the time. The other 3 never bloom. I treat them all the same way. Interestingly, the big white one is squashed in a pot with no holes. The other 3 are in "orchid" pots with holes. Maybe they all want to be squashed? Let me know if you have any suggestions!
Just like corals, they can be tricky and temper-mental. Are you letting them dry out completely before watering? Over watering can be an issue with orchids. They also require a little air movement so if that window does not get opened, maybe try a small fan but don’t blow it directly at them.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning again
Hydros is supposed to come today. I really hope it isn't a frustrating experience. The Wyze smart plugs I am not happy with may be replaced by 2 WIFI controllable outlet strips on the Hydros. I can add a sensor to kill the skimmer if the bucket gets full.

First is figuring out how to keep the crabs from ripping the sensors off the wires again.

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like corals, they can be tricky and temper-mental. Are you letting them dry out completely before watering? Over watering can be an issue with orchids. They also require a little air movement so if that window does not get opened, maybe try a small fan but don’t blow it directly at them.

I let them dry out. I've tried the ice cube method (adding 3 ice cubes per week). Do you water weekly? Maybe I'm watering too often. I didn't know that about the air movement. I'm sure there's a little fan around here somewhere!

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said good morning....at least I don't think I did! Anyway, good morning! I'm glad it's Friday, which also means it's pizza night. Meeting with the boss in 20 minutes, and then I'm signing off work for the week.

Celebrate King Kong GIF by Godzilla vs. Kong

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and Good morning everyone!
Hydros is supposed to come today.
Good to see your still plugging away or in, something new;)
If I start up another I will go with the Control/Hydros stuff. Good luck!

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Friday! Looks like a rainy weekend, so there's no excuses for me not to get the overdue list of stuff knocked out - setup new doser pump, upgrade the reactor situation, RODI filter/media swap, and leak test the newly revived 75g. I will say the screw on cap to the RO membrane is seriously testing my manhood.. I'm hoping it doesn't end poorly with a hammer and a purchase from BRS.

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let them dry out. I've tried the ice cube method (adding 3 ice cubes per week). Do you water weekly? Maybe I'm watering too often. I didn't know that about the air movement. I'm sure there's a little fan around here somewhere!
@ReefGrammie I water when I can stick my finger into the substrate and it comes out completely dry. The most important thing is to make sure the exposed roots get wet enough. I hold them over the sink and wet them down thoroughly and let them drain completely before returning them to their “fancy” pots that the plastic pots sit in.
In the “wild”, orchids grow out of tree bark and are only watered by rain and fog. They don’t do well when watered with tap water because it’s treated and has minerals in it ( TDS ). I only water with RO/DI water.
maybe try filling your watering can with some of your RO water.

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefGrammie I water when I can stick my finger into the substrate and it comes out completely dry. The most important thing is to make sure the exposed roots get wet enough. I hold them over the sink and wet them down thoroughly and let them drain completely before returning them to their “fancy” pots that the plastic pots sit in.
In the “wild”, orchids grow out of tree bark and are only watered by rain and fog. They don’t do well when watered with tap water because it’s treated and has minerals in it ( TDS ). I only water with RO/DI water.
maybe try filling your watering can with some of your RO water.
Great, thank you! When I lived in Miami, we had orchids growing in random trees. I loved them! I've definitely been guilty of using tap water. I will switch to RO/DI water...in fact, I need to go run the unit now.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visit to the doc was informative but not positive.
It looks like I have irreparable nerve damage at C3 and C5.
There are 4 points that the nerve is being compressed or pinched. Multiple herniated or bulging discs down to C7.
On a helicopter view, it's bad and it has gotten significantly worse since the previous MRI in January 2020.
That means the next conversation that I have is with the surgeon. It also means that this job that I have been doing for three years has been literally damaging. I'm pretty shook right now because this changes a lot of things.

If I have the surgery, it is unlikely that I can continue in my current role. I was just passed over for promotion, so that leaves nothing for me at this employer. The company is too small to be required to comply with "reasonable accomodations".

I have an interview on Monday and I heard from a competitor today that they have a position I could slide into. Both options would be about a 90 - 120 minute commute. Even if I would relocate, how do you go into an interview for a job knowing that you need to have pending surgery? I'm either honest in the interview and hope they are flexible or I hide the issue, push the can down the road a few months and then drop the bomb on them. Neither option feels great.

I guess I was delusional. I was really thinking they were going to tell me what the last doctor did ... that it was no big deal, we'll give you a shot or steroids and you'll be good. Feels like a gut punch of reality.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visit to the doc was informative but not positive.
It looks like I have irreparable nerve damage at C3 and C5.
There are 4 points that the nerve is being compressed or pinched. Multiple herniated or bulging discs down to C7.
On a helicopter view, it's bad and it has gotten significantly worse since the previous MRI in January 2020.
That means the next conversation that I have is with the surgeon. It also means that this job that I have been doing for three years has been literally damaging. I'm pretty shook right now because this changes a lot of things.

If I have the surgery, it is unlikely that I can continue in my current role. I was just passed over for promotion, so that leaves nothing for me at this employer. The company is too small to be required to comply with "reasonable accomodations".

I have an interview on Monday and I heard from a competitor today that they have a position I could slide into. Both options would be about a 90 - 120 minute commute. Even if I would relocate, how do you go into an interview for a job knowing that you need to have pending surgery? I'm either honest in the interview and hope they are flexible or I hide the issue, push the can down the road a few months and then drop the bomb on them. Neither option feels great.

I guess I was delusional. I was really thinking they were going to tell me what the last doctor did ... that it was no big deal, we'll give you a shot or steroids and you'll be good. Feels like a gut punch of reality.

Can you take FMLA and do you have any disability benefits?

What happens if your doctor puts a temporary medical restriction on you?

How does changing jobs affect your health insurance?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back