!!!GRAB-BA-BA-BAGGIE BATTLEBOXES!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bryopsis in my tank and my sps is coloring and growing faster than ever... if you ask 95% of the people on this forum if this would be possible they'd probably say no. People overreact about silly things.

No, that's not unusual at all. I think the point that's being made that with algae like that is there is a problem some how some where. Could be an infinite number of things but rampant algae growth isn't good. Corals can do well with algae, it's not so much the algae it's self as what is causing the algae. Know what I mean?

How long has your system been running? Does the algae come and go? Normally in a mature SPS system algae no longer because a problem because the system has had time to reach a balance where micro/macro fauna are in tune with micro/macro flora. You do have an imbalance and because your corals are growing and doing ok doesn't necessarily mean all is well. Algae is an indicator of an issue. I count possibly begin to know what it is but just a few things come to mind: Parameter swings, detritus build up, low flow, an unknown nutrient source, lack of algae grazing micro fauna(pods), improper lighting (too much for instance), new system syndrome, high nutrients, ineffective export systems, lack of or buildup of micro/macro elements. These are just the beginning.

I'm not saying you are a poor Reefer, or that you are not doing everything you should. I'm just saying don't blow off the algae thing. Address it, problem solve, elimination , test, clean, inspect, when in doubt change water and fresh GAC.

just looking out for you bro, I hate to see anyone suffer through all the things I have had to go through in my Years and Years of learning, the hard way LOL.

Good luck man! Keep up posted and I am willing to help at any time. I love to talk Reef/coral.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Fluconazole is tempting but I dont think it's worth the risk for something that I just have to trim weekly

I've used it twice. Has not harm in anyway anything in my tank except nuisance algae.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The battle box i got yetrday
c06b461b4cc41637ea610cc1f4b6fce2.jpg
727a97348f7e7c4bb1bbc390d0e0426d.jpg
2d975d5c3a211196261419c11252cda7.jpg
182ae4cc81a1781565cdba13fb9c3d99.jpg

More like a Battle Pallet!! Lol, nice pack!

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it's actively going away. The rocks are almost completely clean, and the sand bed is getting better. I'm not worried... Params are stable and it will settle.

I just went through your build thread. Really nice looking system, you defiantly doing all the right things and have the right equipment. You are doing a great job. I hope you don't feel I was harping on you.

Your system is still a baby and algae blooms and cycles of blooms will occur. Once it's matured these things won't bother you like they do now as long as you don't rush it. I know you are patience as I see you QT your fish. Most important thing I have learned in the hobby is patience and not just ability to wait but the strength to not act rashly or rush to fix something. It's far better to correct an issue over time than to make sudden change.

Anyway, I feel you probably already know these things but there are those out there that can benefit and I can only hope they get the opportunity to leaner these skills before the hobby defeats their desire and wallets lol.

I'll be keeping up with your build. BTW, I think it's time you updated it! Haha.

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally Amazing! We had our aclimation time, then a nice dip, no bugs, and into the display we went. As soon as I put them in the display color began to pop out everywhere. Some have begun to extend a few polyps.
Adam is the best and has the best coral by far! Battlecorals is my place for SPS from now on.

Tom.
848314a2016b638611165750601c73b5.jpg
de26512fd9496b54e9e230ddfe87ebb8.jpg
99ce76d4adf0e0397b0238b2ab4c374d.jpg

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share a couple not so good pics of the Sky Dopple received 7/27/17 (the ugly rock will get better eventually):

Another BC piece that I got a very generous chunk of from a local, Therman's Rainbow, so not a battlebox piece for me, but probably for someone once upong a time:

There's 12 other BC frags in there, unfortunately I've kind of lost track of what's what. But, I have a porthole coming tomorrow so hoping to grab some decent pics this weekend and maybe match them up to their names again.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just wanted to share a couple not so good pics of the Sky Dopple received 7/27/17 (the ugly rock will get better eventually):

Another BC piece that I got a very generous chunk of from a local, Therman's Rainbow, so not a battlebox piece for me, but probably for someone once upong a time:

There's 12 other BC frags in there, unfortunately I've kind of lost track of what's what. But, I have a porthole coming tomorrow so hoping to grab some decent pics this weekend and maybe match them up to their names again.

Nice! the thermans rainbow is awesome and is far more a "@therman" coral than it is a BC. :) I cant take any credit for that beauty. I was just lucky enough to start trading with Tim years ago!

excellent Score!

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! the thermans rainbow is awesome and is far more a "@therman" coral than it is a BC. :) I cant take any credit for that beauty. I was just lucky enough to start trading with Tim years ago!

excellent Score!
The base color of the skin was even lighter when I first got it, but then it transitioned to brown all over with a hint of purple in my smaller tank w/ leds, once it got moved to the bigger tank under Radium it's gotten more (and better?) light and is hopefully coming back to it's former glory. The piece is huge and I got it for a steal. I just knew the original frag came from BC, I should have worded that clearer. :)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The base color of the skin was even lighter when I first got it, but then it transitioned to brown all over with a hint of purple in my smaller tank w/ leds, once it got moved to the bigger tank under Radium it's gotten more (and better?) light and is hopefully coming back to it's former glory. The piece is huge and I got it for a steal. I just knew the original frag came from BC, I should have worded that clearer. :)

No worries at all! I just wanted to give Tim credit where credit was due:) He's had that one for ages!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back