Gree, red, and UV leds

icemountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of ordering an LED fixture. Should be ordering it in a day or two but before I finalize it, what are the effects of green, red, and uv leds? I am ordering 2 55 3w fixtures and each fixture having 2 cyan, 2 reds, and 2 uv in it which is going to be sitting over a 65 gallon tank. Should I take those colors out or reduce them to 1? What do you guys think?

Juicycoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its personal preference, The ocean contains red in it up to 30 feet of salt water. So i would keep them. The UV, I have been reading a lot about them and people are actually seeing more coral growth with the UV LED's. They aren't as bright as some of your cool white 3W but they are beneficial to a home reef. I'm personally doing a DIY home kit myself. Your need to go to Reefledlights.com and look at their phoenix 55 kit. If you have any question give them a call or a email. They are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Juicycoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green would be good to add a little more color to your reef. Cyan Not sure about that. I would give them a call or maybe someone else on here can help with that.

Bluejawtrigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong, but I see it in mine. You actually get green from your cool whites. I would go with the UBS and cyan. Throw a couple of reds in. Just my op.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say the more colors the better my motto always is, " it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it"

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

my2girls

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on more colors the better. IMO cyan is better than green. I would get both. Order more UV than you think you will use, they are very dim.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 39 37.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back