Green Chromis jumped, what should I do next?

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I just got back home not too long ago, and I noticed that I was missing a fish, well it turns out that he jumped while I was away. Everything seemed fine before I left, everyone was acting normal, nothing to be concerned about. After finding the dead fish I did notice that my return pump was running dry, which has happened before and hasn't resulted in a carpet-surfing fish, so I'm not sure if that might have startled him into jumping but that's my assumption. I've also been noticing that my clownfish (which is relatively smaller than the chromis) has been bullying some of the chromis (well, now only the one) and that might have assisted with the jump. Putting all that aside, since the damage has been done and there is nothing to do about it now, what should I do now? I am currently testing my parameters to check for flaws while pricing out a cover for my DT at the same time, but what else should I do?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get hold of a cover, fine mesh is what I prefer since it has rebound compared to something like glass. EVERY fish can and will jump if given the chance and reason, I learnt the hard way with a mandarin which isn’t known to jump. I kept it alive for a good 5 years just to have it jump.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think fish jumping is inevitable... It's like entropy if the tank and fish are alive long enough.
Well, I mean I’ve been having a Watchman Goby for almost 2 years and it’s never jumped. Other than the two chromis that have (one attempted but I saved, and this one which I was too late for).

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get hold of a cover, fine mesh is what I prefer since it has rebound compared to something like glass. EVERY fish can and will jump if given the chance and reason, I learnt the hard way with a mandarin which isn’t known to jump. I kept it alive for a good 5 years just to have it jump.
Dang I would not expect that at all, yeah I’m looking into making one myself from a previous post on here.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pump running dry? Are you not topping off?

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pump running dry? Are you not topping off?
Sometimes I don't notice that the water level down in the sump is low and it will start sucking up air. But normally when I do notice, I'll just top off with water.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I don't notice that the water level down in the sump is low and it will start sucking up air. But normally when I do notice, I'll just top off with water.
I recommend doing what I do which is check the RO/DI every 4-5 days and if it’s low top off.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some cheap stuff is actually pretty good. Float switches are cheap and its not a fancy unit but it definitely gets the job done safely

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis often fight til theres 1 or 2 left. Clowns are also pretty aggressive towards them and other damsels. So either couldve chased and scared him out of the tank. Id just get a cover and monitor aggression from here.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best not to do that, it causes salinity swings and ato are super cheap, im still a fan of my dual float switches, they work well

That cheap little guy carried me for years until I got a Apex controller. They were 25-30 bucks when I bought, but it worked like a champ.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO Before you burn up your pump. I prefer a glass top. Humidity is already a problem in the new tight houses, no since in adding to the problem.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back