Greetings from Tampa, FL

Sthomp01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef and to the addiction.
Zoom In Coral Reef GIF by Justin

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

I am moving into a new home in a few months and would like to start my first Salt Water aquarium after I get settled in. I’ve had some fresh water tanks in the past, and have long since wanted a salt water tank.

Not entirely sure of location and size of tank yet, keeping my options open :) My wife is interested in a Macro Algae tank, so may have two tanks (his and hers) one on either side of the TV.
That said, been thinking about a small FOWLR in my office to start and go from there.
Will probably be mostly lurking for the next few months while our move in date approaches.
Be seeing you in all the reef places,
—Chris
Hi Chris .
welcome to r2r

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Chris, Welcome to the reef :)
A macro algae tank could make an excellent refugium for the reef.
If you plan on a sump, it could feed into both tanks...
I was actually thinking about that exact thing! Not sure about the plumbing with the two tanks being on opposite sides of a large TV.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Any specific store recommendations?
For sure! I'm not sure where you're going to be in Tampa, and I'm on the other side of the bay so I only know a few more eastward.

The Coral Coral has already been mentioned by a few people, a great wide selection though I find that their prices for some things can be a little high, but they have these big bins separated by price, really fun to go in and see the variety of corals. A decent selection of fish and inverts as well, I've spent both time and money happily and they have a monthly giveaway.

Fish and Other Ichthy stuff Is a smaller store, but their stock is top quality IMO. Coral selection varies, the fish are all super healthy, and great prices.

In the Largo area there's a place called A Tropical Reef, it's worth a swing through if you know what you're looking for, or call ahead like I do since it's a drive even for me. They've been doing some remodeling but the people who work there are really knowledgeable.

There's a new place I found that's just getting started further south in Clearwater called AJ's Aquariums. The owner is super friendly and gives great deals, and has an Ebay presence, which is how I found him since it saved on shipping to pick up the bids I won. The storefront is new, but he's been selling out of his house for years so it's not like, completely new.

Hope that helps!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back