Grow out contest

Discussion in 'Battlecorals' started by leahfiish, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Clownman727

Clownman727 Active Member Tampa Bay Reef Keepers

What does everyone think about this?

$100 buy in. If you have a reef tank and don’t have a $100...... never mind. Lol.

Coral will be an acropora of Adams choice. Something nice but not crazy expensive

6 month grow out. Picture when you place in tank and a full tank shot to get started in the contest. If you fail to post the first two pics you're out. After that a picture every month, Miss any month and you’re out.

At the end of the 6th month the winner will be the one with most growth and overall appeal according to Adam.

Not sure about payouts. What you guys think?

Zack Klabunde likes this.

2. Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain Well-Known Member

@Clownman727
    I think everything is great about that but the price point. I understand where you’re coming from, but I don’t think a lot of people would want to drop $100. For me, that’s not just another drop in the bucket. I’m not trying to argue, but a lot of reefers are on a budget. I think a slightly lower price would open the playing field to more reefers who might want to be part of this contest. I’d still be interested, but just throwing it out there that having the price on the high side limits the people that will join.

Ergodyne and Dsnakes like this.
  3. Jayp5117

Jayp5117 Active Member

Idk it would be tough for me to drop a 100 on a acro frag unless it was something really nice. Obviously play to win but I also have to assume I won't win either so I'm buying a 100 acro peice essentially.

4. Maddlesrain

That’s my thought as well. I don’t often (or almost ever) spend $100 on frags.

Ergodyne, RickG, leahfiish and 2 others like this.
  5. vertigo01

vertigo01 Active Member

Something hardy, I'm in. Something finicky, I'm out as my tank is still in it's infancy.

Ergodyne and smiley28 like this.
  6. bubbaque

bubbaque Valuable Member

You got to think the entry can't be to low because after shipping cost (maybe $30), plus the frag ($40)and a small prize pool would be what's left. It's $70 without having anything left for the prize pool.

haanstang, Ergodyne and Dsnakes like this.
  7. Battlecorals

Battlecorals Aquaculturist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I have healthy crop of Vivid Rainbow Delight growing right now thanks to a good friend. May be great pick for the contest. Been captive for ages, moderately fast grower, practically indestructible but can be a little challenging to really color up well, which may add some flare to the contest.

what do you think good pitch? lol

would go 25 for a roughly 2" frag.

8. KJoFan

KJoFan Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

This. Me too.

9. Maddlesrain

I’d be 100% in for that!
    The idea of growth + color would be an interesting twist as well!
    The fact that it’s indestructible is also a welcome attribute!! Lol

10. bubbaque

bubbaque Valuable Member

@Battlecorals are you able to tell us the total cost would be for the frag and shipping? Maybe we can add additional $20 after that cost for a prize pool.

Also are you willing to hold the prize pool money for the winner, maybe get a battle bag for the prize pool. Can you be the judge of the contest?

Ergodyne, Dsnakes and Maddlesrain like this.
  11. ewelch

ewelch Active Member

I’d be interested in this

12. Jayp5117

Jayp5117 Active Member

Photo of the colony?

Ergodyne and Dsnakes like this.
  13. jason12e

jason12e Member

Interested in this as well!

I agree with the sentiment however that the buy-in price is a bit steep. $40 for a frag would probably be ok if we were buying individually, but I imagine if we had more than 10 people participating there should at least be some discount from the seller. Not to mention it would be free "marketing" for them, as posts about their corals would be occurring at a regular cadence in the forum.

Maybe $50 buy-in, of which $30 is shipping, and $20 for the cost of the coral. The winner gets $X worth of coral from Battlecorals, where X is $5 multiplied by the number of participants. This effectively means that each participant paid $15 for the frag that they have received, and contributed $5 towards the winner's prize.

This also means that Battlecorals would have subsidized the difference between what the participants paid for their frag and the regular price of the frag. Finally, since the winner's prize is in the form of Battlecorals credit, then the seller recovers some portion of the subsidized cost.

14. alten78

alten78 Active Member

I know $100 is more than a lot want to spend especially this time of year where i've already overspent on Christmas as it is, but, I think to keep people in it and committed you would have to have something a little extra in. As Adam said, $25 for the frag, $30 for the shipping, and at minimum $20 for the contest and we're at $75 buy in.

I'm definitely in for that...just dont tell my wife! Because said coral is harder to color up, does better color at the end count more than growth? Who is going to hold onto the pot?

15. kennedpa

kennedpa Well-Known Member

Different acro. More challenging grower.

Plus I already have a vivids colony and want to play lol.

16. kennedpa

Fairy food

chuckfu5, Bunnee911 and nine9d like this.
  17. Maddlesrain

The ease of growth is part of the appeal (;
    You might just have to add another vivid to have a little fun and play the game!!

18. Jayp5117

Jayp5117 Active Member

Needs to be something alot of people can play with, if you make it 100 dollar buy in for a hard to keep frag I'm out, that's a 100 dollars towards something else I know I want or another peice of coral.

19. jason12e

jason12e Member

I'm not necessarily pushing for my suggestion, but I'm wondering how the buy-in of $75 could maximize accountability and commitment more effectively than $50.

Personally, I see the additional $25 more as a barrier to entry rather than an incentive to continue to participate/post updates.

Again, not advocating for any particular buy-in price. Just challenging some assumptions regarding human behavior.

DanTer and Maddlesrain like this.
  20. kennedpa

That's the beauty of opinions. Mine is for keeper vs coral.

Draft saved Draft deleted