Grow out contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Clownman727

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone think about this?

$100 buy in. If you have a reef tank and don’t have a $100...... never mind. Lol.

Coral will be an acropora of Adams choice. Something nice but not crazy expensive

6 month grow out. Picture when you place in tank and a full tank shot to get started in the contest. If you fail to post the first two pics you're out. After that a picture every month, Miss any month and you’re out.

At the end of the 6th month the winner will be the one with most growth and overall appeal according to Adam.

Not sure about payouts. What you guys think?

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Clownman727
I think everything is great about that but the price point. I understand where you’re coming from, but I don’t think a lot of people would want to drop $100. For me, that’s not just another drop in the bucket. I’m not trying to argue, but a lot of reefers are on a budget. I think a slightly lower price would open the playing field to more reefers who might want to be part of this contest. I’d still be interested, but just throwing it out there that having the price on the high side limits the people that will join.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk it would be tough for me to drop a 100 on a acro frag unless it was something really nice. Obviously play to win but I also have to assume I won't win either so I'm buying a 100 acro peice essentially.

That’s my thought as well. I don’t often (or almost ever) spend $100 on frags.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have healthy crop of Vivid Rainbow Delight growing right now thanks to a good friend. May be great pick for the contest. Been captive for ages, moderately fast grower, practically indestructible but can be a little challenging to really color up well, which may add some flare to the contest.

what do you think good pitch? lol

would go 25 for a roughly 2" frag.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have healthy crop of Vivid Rainbow Delight growing right now thanks to a good friend. May be great pick for the contest. Been captive for ages, moderately fast grower, practically indestructible but can be a little challenging to really color up well, which may add some flare to the contest.

I’d be 100% in for that!
The idea of growth + color would be an interesting twist as well!
The fact that it’s indestructible is also a welcome attribute!! Lol

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Battlecorals are you able to tell us the total cost would be for the frag and shipping? Maybe we can add additional $20 after that cost for a prize pool.

Also are you willing to hold the prize pool money for the winner, maybe get a battle bag for the prize pool. Can you be the judge of the contest?

Jayp5117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Photo of the colony?

jason12e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in this as well!

I agree with the sentiment however that the buy-in price is a bit steep. $40 for a frag would probably be ok if we were buying individually, but I imagine if we had more than 10 people participating there should at least be some discount from the seller. Not to mention it would be free "marketing" for them, as posts about their corals would be occurring at a regular cadence in the forum.

Maybe $50 buy-in, of which $30 is shipping, and $20 for the cost of the coral. The winner gets $X worth of coral from Battlecorals, where X is $5 multiplied by the number of participants. This effectively means that each participant paid $15 for the frag that they have received, and contributed $5 towards the winner's prize.

This also means that Battlecorals would have subsidized the difference between what the participants paid for their frag and the regular price of the frag. Finally, since the winner's prize is in the form of Battlecorals credit, then the seller recovers some portion of the subsidized cost.

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know $100 is more than a lot want to spend especially this time of year where i've already overspent on Christmas as it is, but, I think to keep people in it and committed you would have to have something a little extra in. As Adam said, $25 for the frag, $30 for the shipping, and at minimum $20 for the contest and we're at $75 buy in.

I'm definitely in for that...just dont tell my wife! Because said coral is harder to color up, does better color at the end count more than growth? Who is going to hold onto the pot?

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different acro. More challenging grower.

Plus I already have a vivids colony and want to play lol.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ease of growth is part of the appeal (;
You might just have to add another vivid to have a little fun and play the game!!

Jayp5117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needs to be something alot of people can play with, if you make it 100 dollar buy in for a hard to keep frag I'm out, that's a 100 dollars towards something else I know I want or another peice of coral.

jason12e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know $100 is more than a lot want to spend especially this time of year where i've already overspent on Christmas as it is, but, I think to keep people in it and committed you would have to have something a little extra in. As Adam said, $25 for the frag, $30 for the shipping, and at minimum $20 for the contest and we're at $75 buy in.

I'm definitely in for that...just dont tell my wife! Because said coral is harder to color up, does better color at the end count more than growth? Who is going to hold onto the pot?
I'm not necessarily pushing for my suggestion, but I'm wondering how the buy-in of $75 could maximize accountability and commitment more effectively than $50.

Personally, I see the additional $25 more as a barrier to entry rather than an incentive to continue to participate/post updates.

Again, not advocating for any particular buy-in price. Just challenging some assumptions regarding human behavior.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back