Grow out contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im in lets get this started!

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ll pass on this. I already have pc rainbow and I don’t want to comprise the integrity of the contest. Good luck to all. I will follow the contest.
The coral this time is Vivid's rainbow delight.

Last edited:

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- when would the start date for this contest be / how soon could the corals be sent out (I’m thinking this might be best to start in the new year after the holiday craziness many people will be going through)?
QUOTE]

Definitely after the New Year. My UPS/FedEx driver never shows up until 10pm anymore and the last time a shipment got delayed I had 1/2 DOA especially being 20 degrees out.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been a definitive price or coral yet. Been following but allot of this and that so far

Adam said the coral will be vivids rainbow delight. The cost of the frag is $25. He just needs to tell us price of shipping. I think most seemed okay with adding $10 for a prize pool. So total cost should be $25 + $10 + shipping cost.

If you hate to pay the shipping for one coral, ask what else he has that he can add for whatever budget you have.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it will definitely have one start after the new year. That gives Adam time to frag everything into equal pieces and let them heal and to organize shipping days with the participants. I also think the $75 price point is more reasonable for this one, to get more people interested. The more participants, the more likely this will last the full 6 months. We could always organize a more serious one in the future at a higher price point.

For the $75 price that includes the coral ($25), shipping ($40 - can someone confirm this?) and $10 as a contribution towards the prize for the winner. If 30 people participate that is a $300 prize!

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding rules, I think 1 progress picture a month with the coral next to a ruler is reasonable. The deadline should be the 1st of the month. One person should be in charge of making sure everyone posted for the month. If someone misses a month they are out. If the coral dies they're out. The coral should be judged on overall height, and if there are ties also consider if there are any new branches. Color is too subjective and difficult to photograph.

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds fun, I'm in- I've been wanting to keep an sps rather than poci/monti's. And another good incentive to keep my tank parameters in tip-top conditions!

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral should be judged on overall height, and if there are ties also consider if there are any new branches. Color is too subjective and difficult to photograph.

While I don't know if only height should be considered, I do agree that the contest should focus on growth instead of color. Color can be subjective. A better way to measure growth would actually be by weight, but that would require everyone to have some sort of analytical balance. That way vertical and horizontal growth are both factored. This method would also required a bit of the honor system (no pennies on the scale). Maybe this method could be used if there was a tie or a dispute. A video showing the coral being placed on a tared analytical balance (but you would have to have a starting weight as well). Ehhh just a thought.

That being said I think I could be interested in getting involved in this contest.

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but you would have to have a starting weight as well).

To this point, if Adam has a analytical balance he could assign a "tare weight" to each frag before sending out, which could be used to compare the final weight against. It would not be possible to swap your frag plug though since that throws off the weight.... (one way around it is that everyone is supplied with a "fresh" frag plug of the same brand that has never been placed in a system (pest control for those who are worried about the sort of thing).

Now that I think of it eve a kitchen scale could be used...

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To this point, if Adam has a analytical balance he could assign a "tare weight" to each frag before sending out, which could be used to compare the final weight against. It would not be possible to swap your frag plug though since that throws off the weight.... (one way around it is that everyone is supplied with a "fresh" frag plug of the same brand that has never been placed in a system (pest control for those who are worried about the sort of thing).

Now that I think of it eve a kitchen scale could be used...
Weight is going to be hard to determine once the coral encrusts on your rock....

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far there are 36 people who expressed interest in this thread
bubbaque
Clownman727
rlman41299
Chac317
alten78
Maddlesrain
tcup25
Jayp5117
Greenstreet.1
Coastie Reefer
Leahfiish
Da Ghost
pilot108
gar732
Ergodyne
dbenenh0
smiley28
Dsnakes
RUNVS
MTBake
vertigo01
KJoFan
ewelch
jason12e
ReeferMadness80G
ptpablo
jamesgaines
newbreefer316
TonapahNorth
Mykesocalreef
DanTer
stylaster
Dabbin_with_reefs
kdino
SaltySteve
aarbutina

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Count me in too. I will pay for frag(s) and shipping or whatever is needed to participate. I always love grow out challenges.

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bubbaque
Clownman727
rlman41299
Chac317
alten78
Maddlesrain
tcup25
Jayp5117
Greenstreet.1
Coastie Reefer
Leahfiish
Da Ghost
pilot108
gar732
Ergodyne
dbenenh0
smiley28
Dsnakes
RUNVS
MTBake
vertigo01
KJoFan
ewelch
jason12e
ReeferMadness80G
ptpablo
jamesgaines
newbreefer316
TonapahNorth
Mykesocalreef
DanTer
stylaster
Dabbin_with_reefs
kdino
SaltySteve
aarbutina
Missed me :)

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bubbaque
Clownman727
rlman41299
Chac317
alten78
Maddlesrain
tcup25
Jayp5117
Greenstreet.1
Coastie Reefer
Leahfiish
Da Ghost
pilot108
gar732
Ergodyne
dbenenh0
smiley28
Dsnakes
RUNVS
MTBake
vertigo01
KJoFan
ewelch
jason12e
ReeferMadness80G
ptpablo
jamesgaines
newbreefer316
TonapahNorth
Mykesocalreef
DanTer
stylaster
Dabbin_with_reefs
kdino
SaltySteve
aarbutina

That’s a 720 pack or a 360 pack hmmmmm

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back