Guide to the Triton Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tim OK I am set up to dose but won't began intel next week. I read you guy recommend 2 mils for 26 gallons I figure with the sump I have 105 to 110 gallons, so 4 mills a day. I can spread this out over 24 hours so should I dose all the elements at the same time over 24 hours?

The base line reccomendation of 2ml/26gallon is for the display tank volume, not total system volume.
You should spread the dosing out throughout the day, but it may be hard to divide such a small does up.

Night Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tim OK I am set up to dose but won't began intel next week. I read you guy recommend 2 mils for 26 gallons I figure with the sump I have 105 to 110 gallons, so 4 mills a day. I can spread this out over 24 hours so should I dose all the elements at the same time over 24 hours?
Yes at different times and spread out each one. Watch your ALK level and try to keep your ALK steady. If ALK goes higher then you want lower each by half and measure your ALK levels you need to adjust when your ALK goes under/over your target. If needed you can water down with ro water but make sure you do it evenly.

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm about to be in my 4th month of triton and things seem well. I did a test and found tin as well as the culprit. Things looked pretty good overall except I needed 6 weeks of 10% water changes to lower tin. Getting ready to order more!

john1214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a was to calculate out how much to dose based on your alk consumption and water volume? Or an online calculator for it?

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tim one more question, I am mixing my base elements today, the number one the powder one. How long does it take this stuff to dissolve fully I still see some on the bottom that has not been fully dissolved. I bought some containers to mix into then I will fill my Dos contemnors

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tim one more question, I am mixing my base elements today, the number one the powder one. How long does it take this stuff to dissolve fully I still see some on the bottom that has not been fully dissolved. I bought some containers to mix into then I will fill my Dos contemnors
Never mind it finally dissolved too about 4 to 5 hours

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tim
OK I have sent off my ICP test just got an Email it should be done first part of next week. I have started dosing Triton now, and things are looking good, I am getting some good polyp extension, and growth.
My Alk when I started the tank was 8.6, it has slowly dropped last night it was 7.4 my Cal had droped some but not a lot it started at 462 and is now at 431. My Quetion is do I need to bump up my Alk?

Last edited:

Rmcuddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to start up a new 125g tank and use the triton method with their 44 gallon sump. If I follow all of their guidelines, would I be able to use Caribsea Liferock for my rock in the main tank? From the reviews, it looks like it still allows helpful bacteria to be housed in its spores. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to start up a new 125g tank and use the triton method with their 44 gallon sump. If I follow all of their guidelines, would I be able to use Caribsea Liferock for my rock in the main tank? From the reviews, it looks like it still allows helpful bacteria to be housed in its spores. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Around the 8 min mark they discussed the man made options. I’ve looked at it before and don’t see an issue. I’m running Triton but have Reef Saver. I think the main component is really in the refugium.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/week-10-what-you-may-not-have-known-about-live-rock/

My cheto has not grown as I’ve seen others and I’m into month 5 already.

However, I have sponge growth blowing up in display [emoji4]

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tim2@Triton
Hi Tim
I am planning to go with Life reef sump. Refuge would be fist chamber but couple of questions here
1- Would the filter pads in sump conflict with Triton method?
2- Regarding the 10x turnover in display tank. If I have oversized power heads that can move the water in the display tank, would turnover 5x for example be enough?

lg_Orange_Grey.JPG

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tim2@Triton
Hi Tim
I am planning to go with Life reef sump. Refuge would be fist chamber but couple of questions here
1- Would the filter pads in sump conflict with Triton method?
2- Regarding the 10x turnover in display tank. If I have oversized power heads that can move the water in the display tank, would turnover 5x for example be enough?

lg_Orange_Grey.JPG
While I’m no expert I do run triton. While I’m not sure on the filter pads I wouldn’t run them. Once the cheato is established it does wonders. I would want pods etc to be able to circulate the system from the refugium. With regards to the turnover the 10x flow through the sump is some people run slow flow rates for increased contact time for skimmer etc. the idea behind the flatter rate is so that your sump does not create a different environment than the tank I believe.
Also worth noting I want to believe that triton recommends that the skimmer chamber baffle feed under as proteins float which allows for better contact time.
I have read a lot of information and I almost bought a life reef they put out some solid stuff and their skimmers are supposed to be amazing.
I have ran #synergyreef my last 3 sumps. There triton line is impressive @mixer911 does an amazing job.

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I’m no expert I do run triton. While I’m not sure on the filter pads I wouldn’t run them. Once the cheato is established it does wonders. I would want pods etc to be able to circulate the system from the refugium. With regards to the turnover the 10x flow through the sump is some people run slow flow rates for increased contact time for skimmer etc. the idea behind the flatter rate is so that your sump does not create a different environment than the tank I believe.
Also worth noting I want to believe that triton recommends that the skimmer chamber baffle feed under as proteins float which allows for better contact time.
I have read a lot of information and I almost bought a life reef they put out some solid stuff and their skimmers are supposed to be amazing.
I have ran #synergyreef my last 3 sumps. There triton line is impressive @mixer911 does an amazing job.
Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate it.
Yeah I agree the filter pads will block stuff. I will not be using it. Regarding the skimmer under baffle. Refuge most properly will be separated to have highest water level. If I run the refuge with the skimmer in same sump, will not be able to have very high water level in refuge as will be constrained by the skimmer height and cabinet height

tiomm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone of you guys reached 0 nutrients in your water using Triton? I used chaeto in my Red Sea system and had 0 nitrates and phosphates which practically starved my corals to near extinction. I'm interested in Triton but am not interested in going through such an experience again.

And before you start telling me, I know Triton is coming out with their N-DOCS test and additives. But as far as I know it's not yet on the market.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the solutions are disbursed into high flow then there should not be an issue dosing into the return chamber. If you only have a slow return pump then I would not recommend dosing into that area as the solution could precipitate in the plumbing. You can dose into most areas of the system but ideally the skimmer should be last in line.

I have been struggling to find a dosing pattern and location in the sump that doesn't create precipitation. Can you please tell me where the magical place in my sump is where water passes through at a high flow rate so to avoid precipitation? If it isn't in the return chamber, skimmer chamber, or refugium...then where is it?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been struggling to find a dosing pattern and location in the sump that doesn't create precipitation. Can you please tell me where the magical place in my sump is where water passes through at a high flow rate so to avoid precipitation? If it isn't in the return chamber, skimmer chamber, or refugium...then where is it?
When I was dosing Triton, it was in the return chamber and I also used a small powerhead aimed at the drip area to create a turbulent zone. Koralia ph's work well in this situation.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guide to the TRITON Method 5-4-17-web-1.jpg

Guide to the TRITON Method 5-4-17-web-2.jpg

Guide to the TRITON Method 5-4-17-web-3.jpg

Guide to the TRITON Method 5-4-17-web-4.jpg

Guide to the TRITON Method 5-4-17-web-5.jpg

Guide to the TRITON Method 5-4-17-web-6.jpg

Guide to the TRITON Method 5-4-17-web-7.jpg

Guide to the TRITON Method 5-4-17-web-8.jpg

Guide to the TRITON Method 5-4-17-web-9.jpg

Guide to the TRITON Method 5-4-17-web-10.jpg

Guide to the TRITON Method 5-4-17-web-11.jpg

Guide to the TRITON Method 5-4-17-web-12.jpg

PDF below :D

TMGuide.png

I have a colleague from a major Aquarium institution, recieve DOC testing vials. To fill with H2O from their public aquariums, 25 vials. I'm assuming there from your company.

Question:

Do vials have to be frozen, cold packed. To send back to you guys? Please help

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was dosing Triton, it was in the return chamber and I also used a small powerhead aimed at the drip area to create a turbulent zone. Koralia ph's work well in this situation.

That seems like a smart idea. I'm honestly surprised that there isn't a more elegant solution for an issue of this magnitude.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back