Guide to the Triton Method

Discussion in 'Triton Applied Reef Bioscience' started by Tim@Triton, Apr 5, 2017.

1. powers2001

powers2001 started reefing 1999 R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I've seen precipitation form when the liquid runs down the side of the sump and dries before going into the water like @Terence tank did. Can't remember how he remedied the situation. However, are you talking about precipitation forming after the liquid is in the sump water, on the bottom of the sump in a slurry?

2. slewrock1

slewrock1 Active Member R2R Supporter

Agreed...I think a lot of my disappointment stems from the informercial-esque hype and expectations that came with its introduction. In 8+ months, I have yet to receive a Triton test result back that doesn't prescribe a series of water changes.
    The precipitate I'm experiencing is a solid, compact formation. On the sump walls it forms a hard layer that was difficult to remove w a striaght razor...after relocating dosing tubes to the return section, it began caking up on the return pump's body.

3. powers2001

powers2001 started reefing 1999 R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I guess I should have asked the question, "Is the liquid forming a solid as it is dripped in the air from the end of the dosing tube?" Or, "Does the dosed liquid exit the dosing tube underwater and cake up there?" Because if the answer to the former question is yes, wouldn't moving the tube's exiting end under the surface water alleviate the problem? The reagents would just mix into the sump water?

4. slewrock1

The precipitate is forming once the additives make contact with the water. @Randy Holmes-Farley knocked the cover off of the ball with his article on the subject.

Salahunreal likes this.
  5. Lasse

Lasse Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

When you add a highly buffered solution into a water that contain much kalcium (over 400 ppm) you will have a precipitation regardless what method you use. It is not a problem exclusive for the Triton method. You need to add in a high speed environment and dose in a slow paste. I use slowest speed on the dosing pump and normally only in 1 ml segment when I add Core 7 3 a and b. I have a pump below the inserting point (blowing upwards) and have the tube end 1 - 2 cm above the water. If you have it in the water -you will clog the hose sooner or later.

Sincerely Lasse

Smprc, slewrock1 and Salahunreal like this.
  6. slewrock1

You're correct. The refugium and skimmer chamber flow rate requirements both make it difficult to find a place in the sump for dosing in a high speed environment.

7. Lasse

Lasse Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Do you have an overflow to the return pump? Even if it is a small flow between them - the speed in the overflow use to be high. I would prefer to add after the skimmer.

Sincerely Lasse

8. madcanary

madcanary Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

There is buy the right sump... TS-44 from @mixer911 @synergyreef. Dosed right into the crash box. image.jpg

slewrock1 and Salahunreal like this.
  9. sgrosenb

sgrosenb Member

Quick question on expiration of triton chemical in liquid form - I might've jumped the gun a little. My tank is fairly new - 2 months old about. I mixed up my 4 parts and have them in 3 liter jugs. I prepped up my doser, have all my lines run, and primed them all to the point that if I run a doser motor at all, they would start dosing right into the tank (so the lines have triton liquid in them). Just curious if the liquid in the 3 liter jugs, and the liquid in the lines will stay good for a few months, or if I should flush them or replace the liquid completely when I start to dose, which I anticipate to be 2-3 months from now. Thanks. @Tim@Triton

Mark Gray likes this.
  10. madcanary

madcanary Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

It took almost 8 months to use my first 1000ml when I set up my tank. Just my personal experience.

Mark Gray likes this.
  11. Jason mack

Jason mack Monti madness R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Hello @Tim@Triton , I have a question , is there any shops in Europe where I could buy a Triton trigger sump from ...all my searches on the interweb thing only shows American outlets ....

12. Kordi83

Kordi83 Member

Hi, i am switching over to full Triton method. Now i have to add 15 ml a day of alkalinity to keep it at 8.5. My calcium and magnesium are replenished by my galon a day water change. When i switch over should i dose all 4 at the same dose?
    Tank is 43 gallons.

13. Cflow

Cflow Member

I have a question regarding other biomedias. I'm sorry if this has already been addressed but I can't find a definite answer. I'm going to start up a new system with full Triton. Is it okay to use marine pure blocks in addition to live rock or is it better to just have several varieties of macroalgae and ditch the unnatural medias. I've heard that marine pure may leach Aluminum, but some phosphate binding agents contains Al anyway. I plan on using a variety of macroalgaes regardless, but I've had success with siporax in the past. Just want to start off right.

14. lucyus

lucyus New Member

... hi, can work core7 with kh 9-10 ? (ca 470, mg 1400)..

Draft saved Draft deleted