Guide to the Triton Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been struggling to find a dosing pattern and location in the sump that doesn't create precipitation. Can you please tell me where the magical place in my sump is where water passes through at a high flow rate so to avoid precipitation? If it isn't in the return chamber, skimmer chamber, or refugium...then where is it?
I've seen precipitation form when the liquid runs down the side of the sump and dries before going into the water like @Terence tank did. Can't remember how he remedied the situation. However, are you talking about precipitation forming after the liquid is in the sump water, on the bottom of the sump in a slurry?

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, but my issues with the method reside elsewhere.

Agreed...I think a lot of my disappointment stems from the informercial-esque hype and expectations that came with its introduction. In 8+ months, I have yet to receive a Triton test result back that doesn't prescribe a series of water changes.
I've seen precipitation form when the liquid runs down the side of the sump and dries before going into the water like @Terence tank did. Can't remember how he remedied the situation. However, are you talking about precipitation forming after the liquid is in
I've seen precipitation form when the liquid runs down the side of the sump and dries before going into the water like @Terence tank did. Can't remember how he remedied the situation. However, are you talking about precipitation forming after the liquid is in the sump water, on the bottom of the sump in a slurry?

The precipitated liquid is

The precipitate I'm experiencing is a solid, compact formation. On the sump walls it forms a hard layer that was difficult to remove w a striaght razor...after relocating dosing tubes to the return section, it began caking up on the return pump's body.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The precipitate I'm experiencing is a solid, compact formation. On the sump walls it forms a hard layer that was difficult to remove w a striaght razor...after relocating dosing tubes to the return section, it began caking up on the return pump's body.
I guess I should have asked the question, "Is the liquid forming a solid as it is dripped in the air from the end of the dosing tube?" Or, "Does the dosed liquid exit the dosing tube underwater and cake up there?" Because if the answer to the former question is yes, wouldn't moving the tube's exiting end under the surface water alleviate the problem? The reagents would just mix into the sump water?

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should have asked the question, "Is the liquid forming a solid as it is dripped in the air from the end of the dosing tube?" Or, "Does the dosed liquid exit the dosing tube underwater and cake up there?" Because if the answer to the former question is yes, wouldn't moving the tube's exiting end under the surface water alleviate the problem? The reagents would just mix into the sump water?

The precipitate is forming once the additives make contact with the water. @Randy Holmes-Farley knocked the cover off of the ball with his article on the subject.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a smart idea. I'm honestly surprised that there isn't a more elegant solution for an issue of this magnitude.

When you add a highly buffered solution into a water that contain much kalcium (over 400 ppm) you will have a precipitation regardless what method you use. It is not a problem exclusive for the Triton method. You need to add in a high speed environment and dose in a slow paste. I use slowest speed on the dosing pump and normally only in 1 ml segment when I add Core 7 3 a and b. I have a pump below the inserting point (blowing upwards) and have the tube end 1 - 2 cm above the water. If you have it in the water -you will clog the hose sooner or later.

Sincerely Lasse

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you add a highly buffered solution into a water that contain much kalcium (over 400 ppm) you will have a precipitation regardless what method you use. It is not a problem exclusive for the Triton method. You need to add in a high speed environment and dose in a slow paste. I use slowest speed on the dosing pump and normally only in 1 ml segment when I add Core 7 3 a and b. I have a pump below the inserting point (blowing upwards) and have the tube end 1 - 2 cm above the water. If you have it in the water -you will clog the hose sooner or later.

Sincerely Lasse

You're correct. The refugium and skimmer chamber flow rate requirements both make it difficult to find a place in the sump for dosing in a high speed environment.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an overflow to the return pump? Even if it is a small flow between them - the speed in the overflow use to be high. I would prefer to add after the skimmer.

Sincerely Lasse

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a smart idea. I'm honestly surprised that there isn't a more elegant solution for an issue of this magnitude.
There is buy the right sump... TS-44 from @mixer911 @synergyreef. Dosed right into the crash box.
image.jpg

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question on expiration of triton chemical in liquid form - I might've jumped the gun a little. My tank is fairly new - 2 months old about. I mixed up my 4 parts and have them in 3 liter jugs. I prepped up my doser, have all my lines run, and primed them all to the point that if I run a doser motor at all, they would start dosing right into the tank (so the lines have triton liquid in them). Just curious if the liquid in the 3 liter jugs, and the liquid in the lines will stay good for a few months, or if I should flush them or replace the liquid completely when I start to dose, which I anticipate to be 2-3 months from now. Thanks. @Tim@Triton

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question on expiration of triton chemical in liquid form - I might've jumped the gun a little. My tank is fairly new - 2 months old about. I mixed up my 4 parts and have them in 3 liter jugs. I prepped up my doser, have all my lines run, and primed them all to the point that if I run a doser motor at all, they would start dosing right into the tank (so the lines have triton liquid in them). Just curious if the liquid in the 3 liter jugs, and the liquid in the lines will stay good for a few months, or if I should flush them or replace the liquid completely when I start to dose, which I anticipate to be 2-3 months from now. Thanks. @Tim@Triton
It took almost 8 months to use my first 1000ml when I set up my tank. Just my personal experience.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Tim@Triton , I have a question , is there any shops in Europe where I could buy a Triton trigger sump from ...all my searches on the interweb thing only shows American outlets ....

Kordi83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i am switching over to full Triton method. Now i have to add 15 ml a day of alkalinity to keep it at 8.5. My calcium and magnesium are replenished by my galon a day water change. When i switch over should i dose all 4 at the same dose?
Tank is 43 gallons.

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question regarding other biomedias. I'm sorry if this has already been addressed but I can't find a definite answer. I'm going to start up a new system with full Triton. Is it okay to use marine pure blocks in addition to live rock or is it better to just have several varieties of macroalgae and ditch the unnatural medias. I've heard that marine pure may leach Aluminum, but some phosphate binding agents contains Al anyway. I plan on using a variety of macroalgaes regardless, but I've had success with siporax in the past. Just want to start off right.

loli2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I mix core7 triton method and core7 other method in 1:1 ratio if I dont meet volume reqirements for algae refugium? Its 7% of the tank volume.
Thanks

george7523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've just started the triton method and have some very basic questions I can't seem to find on triton's site or anywhere else.

1) When dosing core 7 base element 1, 2, (3a+3b combined), how much time must pass in between dosing each solution ? (ie. When dosing ESV b-ionic 2 part, I usually dose alkalinity first and then wait 30 minutes before dosing calcium. is it the same for triton core 7 ? 30 minutes wait time ?)

2) I understand alk, and ca needs to be dosed at 30 minutes interval to avoid precipitation. what about solution 1 ( magnesium) ? do we also need to allow 30 minutes to pass before dosing calcium or alkalinity ?

3) after mixing 3a+3b together, the resulting solution is clear and has no precipitation at all. However when I dose it (3.5 ml) into my sump (via ghl doser) white flaky precipitate forms. the doser drips into the return pump section of the sump which is quite small containing only 1.5 gallon of water. Am I right in assuming due to small size of the section that is the cause of the precipitate ? or any solution to avoid precipitate ? I didn't have this problem dosing esv b-ionic 2 part.

my current parameters are:

alk: 8.0
ca: 438
mag: 1320
sal: 1.026
phos : 0.04
nitrate: 0

tests done via Hanna checkers.

question 1, 2 are very basic and i'm surprised triton method does not have any instructions on this anywhere on the website or pamphlet.

thank you for reading and helping

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've just started the triton method and have some very basic questions I can't seem to find on triton's site or anywhere else.

1) When dosing core 7 base element 1, 2, (3a+3b combined), how much time must pass in between dosing each solution ? (ie. When dosing ESV b-ionic 2 part, I usually dose alkalinity first and then wait 30 minutes before dosing calcium. is it the same for triton core 7 ? 30 minutes wait time ?)

2) I understand alk, and ca needs to be dosed at 30 minutes interval to avoid precipitation. what about solution 1 ( magnesium) ? do we also need to allow 30 minutes to pass before dosing calcium or alkalinity ?

3) after mixing 3a+3b together, the resulting solution is clear and has no precipitation at all. However when I dose it (3.5 ml) into my sump (via ghl doser) white flaky precipitate forms. the doser drips into the return pump section of the sump which is quite small containing only 1.5 gallon of water. Am I right in assuming due to small size of the section that is the cause of the precipitate ? or any solution to avoid precipitate ? I didn't have this problem dosing esv b-ionic 2 part.

my current parameters are:

alk: 8.0
ca: 438
mag: 1320
sal: 1.026
phos : 0.04
nitrate: 0

tests done via Hanna checkers.

question 1, 2 are very basic and i'm surprised triton method does not have any instructions on this anywhere on the website or pamphlet.

thank you for reading and helping
Just wait between components long enough for the water to clear the sump.. 30 seconds? 2 minutes? Depending on flow. And it’s fine. Honestly I just set my DOS to the total amount I want to dose for the day and it’s fine. Let the dos figure it out. I used to wait 2 minutes and program like 48 dosings a day but it’s not needed. You’re over thinking it.

Are you assuming 3a and b are precipitating because it’s cloudy when it enters the water? If so that’s not precipitation. The difference that you visibly see is probably because the triton is more concentrated then the b ionic.

Fábio Cruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm from Brazil and would like to know if the samples should be preserved until they reach the laboratory in Germany for analysis. If so, how can I be assured that the test results will actually reflect my aquarium snapshot with precision even days after the sample. Could someone explain better in this case?
thank you

Last edited:

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm from Brazil and would like to know if the samples should be preserved until they reach the laboratory in Germany for analysis. If so, how can I be assured that the test results will actually reflect my aquarium snapshot with precision even days after the sample. Could someone explain better in this case?
thank you
No need to preserve the water for ICP lab testing as the machine atomizes the water sample breaking the molecules down to their basic elements. Regardless of the changes that occur during transport the numbers of of each atom in the water being tested remains unchanged. This is the beauty of TRITON ICP lab testing.

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alk and Mg seem to be a little low (6.3dKH &1230ppm) and my Ca is ok (450ppm). It's my understanding that I should INCREASE the dose of 1 and 3A/B and CONTINUE with same dose of #2. Is this correct?
ALTERNATIVELY I can continue with the same Triton dose and ADD baking soda for Alk and a magnesium supplement. Is this correct as well?

Back