Guts' 15 gallon column reef tank

guts11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a spontaneous purchase with my girlfriend who asked, "Can we get Nemos?" I was thrown head first into the hobby. I had a few freshwater tanks growing up (I also could not keep anything alive for too long), but never saltwater. I have recently added some new live rock and a coral-cabable light. I got my first two frags from a local reefer (Green Nephthea and GSP)

Livetock is currently: 2 Oc. Paired Clowns, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 Cleaner Goby, 1 Turbo snails, 3 Astraea snails, 2 Ceriths snails, 1 Strawberry Conch, 2 Blue Legged Hermits and about 22 pounds of live rock.

Equipment: Hipargero 30W LED Light, Hydor Koralia 240, Aqueon 10 HOB running carbon, Aqueon 50W Heater. I have an EHEIM autofeeder for times I am on break as a college student.

Trials and Tribulations:
  • Did not top off tank with FW before water changes, slowly raising the salinity to 1.028. Lost a few snails as a result.
  • Flukes
I have attached a few photos I have of the tank (Not sure how to do that photo list at the end of the post).

Tank-10-16-2018.JPG Tank-1-30-2018.JPG 2-7-18.png 2-10-18.jpg 2-19 Green Nephthea Closeup.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

guts11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the Gramma's current situation, I am not too sure. I may give it a couple more days and see if/how the treatment performs as my LFS said it will take a few days before I see any improvements. I have seen the goby on the fish a few times so I am hoping it gets better. The first photo was taken 3/5 and the second was 3/7.

3-5 Gramma Condition.jpg 3-7 Gramma Condition.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

guts11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated diagnosis after I brought the fish into my LFS was that it was flukes. Did a FW dip which stressed the little guy out a ton, but he is still eating so I am hoping he pulls through.

OP
OP
G

guts11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank totally crashed about a month after this post. All fish and inverts died. Starting up a fresh build soon on an IM Nuvo 20 so I will start that thread soon.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back