What substrate do you prefer

• Total voters

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been Reefing for about 2 years now and have been planning this build for about 4 years it seems like. I have a 65g tank at the moment with a 30 gallon sump that is too wide for my stand so it's on the floor in the spare room ( soon to be fishroom ).
Anyway my new build. The tank is a 72 x 24 x 29 non reef ready. I'm putting it in my living room to divide the kitchen, entryway hallway from the living room. Wanting more water volume that I could fit underneath the display I decided to put the sump in the spare room where the current tank is now. I may get critiqued on this next part but there is a hallway that divides the fishroom from the living room so the overflow pipes will run down inside the wall, underneath the hallway floor and back up so the sump. I am using a shadow overflow box with three 1.5" pipes. The top of the tank will be 4'+ higher than the top of the sump. ( I'll have pictures of the layout later) so water going in will push the water out of the pipes just like a P-Trap. I will use my apex to monitor the overflow with the new Fmm and optical sensors to shut off the return pump and text me if there is ever a problem.
So this past weekend I finally got started on my stand. I went with a wood stand since I was not too worried about fitting everything underneath but that backfired when I decided to put a second DT underneath with its own sump. This way the wife can have her own tank with what she wants. So there will be a 40 breeder on the bottom and it's sump next to it in a compartment.

OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
544cd53692883da595335f14aabcba05.jpg
4d5183ef44402154e65c9f3ee43da999.jpg
5c23a15ec1e1245954081a482af20cc6.jpg
d1e253b2373fb9e6de9ba668ce9721fc.jpg
2d5f631d36393719aa86daff2656d687.jpg
8c035eeb788dd6c0262ac98c60c067d8.jpg
215d22277a5f957d7df6880d7ba40a7f.jpg

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pee trap and using a over flow box... Sounds like fun! Food for thought, I would add a float switch in your sump where your return pump is, so it would turn off your pump if your sumps starts to get low that way there won't be a huge mess of water on the floor if something does go wrong.

Edited: Woops didn't read all of it sounds a bit thought out.

OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pee trap and using a over flow box... Sounds like fun! Food for thought, I would add a float switch in your sump where your return pump is, so it would turn off your pump if your sumps starts to get low that way there won't be a huge mess of water on the floor if something does go wrong.

Edited: Woops didn't read all of it sounds a bit thought out.

I will still probably do that as well. Redundancy is our friend

OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the plan is at this point to go with an sps dominated rock structure with some hammers frogs and torches in the lower flow end. Going with a travertine bottom that eventually will be covered in zoanthids and palys.
60" x 8 bulb ATI fixture with two 60" reefbrite leds
My current 65 gallon will become the display refugium in the fish room.
I am back and forth on the sump. I would like 100 Gallons of water volume but not sure if I will build a sump or buy possibly a 75g and another 40 breeder and build baffles.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a peninsula tank myself of a similar size. I'm following along.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks awesome in my head. So that's a plus[emoji51]

Yeah rock work is always a challenge for me, I doing a nano build. The rock work seems even more challenging then my old 75g reef.

Here is a picture of what I got going on, not sure if I will keep it this way.

IMG_20170308_222354.jpg

OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My saltwater mixing station has been up and running for a little over a month now. It's not the nicest that I've seen by far but it works for me.
I have two 32 gallon brute cans on top for my rodi water and one 44 gallon for fresh saltwater. I picked up a blueline 70 hd in almost new condition. I will be able to pump saltwater or top off water to the fish room and old saltwater from the fishroom and back to the garage to a utility sink I put in years back. I am thinking about using the apex to do continuous water changes with the DOS or I can set it up for automatic water change with the apex. I really love my Apex. The possibilities are endless with this thing.
I bought a smart buddy booster pump that automatically flushes the ro membrane for 18 seconds every time it is turned on. Another reason to have an apex energy bar on the station is to program the outlet for the smart buddy booster pump to turn off and right back on every 2 hours it is running so it will flush the membrane every two hours.
My rodi unit is a 10 stage hybrid of aqua fx, spectra pure and brs. I have 3 sediment filters 5 , 1 & .2 microns, 3 carbon blocks 5 , 1 & .5 microns a 75 gallon per day ro membrane ( that I get way more out of) and three di resin canisters
3ac57477a7b610806edc8e58ee46b92e.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have better picks on my phone of the rodi I'll get some tomorrow and post them

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you started on it yet?
I have the tank and the stand is in progress. I am putting together the aquascape now. That is about all I have done so far. I might put a thread up relatively soon just to get feedback early in the process.

OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have more rodi units then quite a few fish shops

Probably but I don't have the best water to start with. And this way the expensive ones last longer. I need to do some calculations tomorrow if I have time. I know I am getting over 100 gpd with a 75 gpd membrane but I want to find out what my number actually is. With my booster pump I'm get 100-105 psi. #Ryanbrs did a video on rodi gpd and the effects of different psi. I'll see if I can find it. If I were to guess I would say I'm close to 150 gpd out of a 75 gpd membrane. Another thing that is different with this smart buddy booster pump is that the sediment and carbon cartridges don't have the high pressure running through them like others pumps say to do. I don't know if that is a major help or difference over the other brands or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of young tangs that will go in the 210. But other than them I am up in the air for my stocking list
Thinking about a male/female pair of blue throat triggers and a harlequin tusk
Anyone have any input?
What would you put in the tank?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back