OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the 125 developed a slight leak during cleaning. I have decided to take it apart and reseal it. Changing the demensions from 72x18x24 to 72 x 30 x 24 making it 225 gallons. Going with a plywood bottom and 1/2" glass for the 30" sides that I already have. 1/2" x 4" euro brace with 2 center braces of the same dimensions. Not sure on what aspect of the build to do first, the 210 or the 225. The 225 is still going in the fishroom but haven't decided if I'll put it on the outside wall blocking the only window in the room or doing an in-wall with the overflow on the side like the peninsula so you can see thru the tank into the room. The problem with doing this is that is were my sump has to go so it will be a fairly high in-wall.
It will not effect the skimmer I'm going to build as far as height, I would just have to make it an external skimmer as I'm planning it to be about 6 foot tall with the cup on. Too much to do and not enough time in the day to do it.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the 125 developed a slight leak during cleaning. I have decided to take it apart and reseal it. Changing the demensions from 72x18x24 to 72 x 30 x 24 making it 225 gallons. Going with a plywood bottom and 1/2" glass for the 30" sides that I already have. 1/2" x 4" euro brace with 2 center braces of the same dimensions. Not sure on what aspect of the build to do first, the 210 or the 225. The 225 is still going in the fishroom but haven't decided if I'll put it on the outside wall blocking the only window in the room or doing an in-wall with the overflow on the side like the peninsula so you can see thru the tank into the room. The problem with doing this is that is were my sump has to go so it will be a fairly high in-wall.
It will not effect the skimmer I'm going to build as far as height, I would just have to make it an external skimmer as I'm planning it to be about 6 foot tall with the cup on. Too much to do and not enough time in the day to do it.
225g's..... ;Meh
lol

OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a long time since my last update and that’s because there hasn’t been anything to update you about until now.
I ordered my skimmer and it is on its way as I type.
I called up Jeff from reeflife and ordered a VS3-48. With custom colors to match the apex.
He got excited about his first flange skimmer that wasn’t black and clear and made a tiny error.
So without further ado here is my VS3-48” tall skimmer good for 500 gallons
a9f79a58fc5182fbcb11fd73ed29c256.jpg
3fde7eabebf73c040e3728f09e66de4a.jpg
05fe0f00f0fdddc9ae7b215a81581492.jpg

He made me a VS3-72” monster. And I couldn’t bring myself to let him cut it shorter. That and he charged me for the 48” so I can handle 3X the volume I was planning for, 1,500 gallons.
The answer is Yes, I am having a good day.

Last edited:

foozed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a long time since my last update and that’s because there hasn’t been anything to update you about until now.
I ordered my skimmer and it is on its way as I type.
I called up Jeff from reeflife and ordered a SV3-48. With custom colors to match the apex.
He got excited about his first flange skimmer that wasn’t black and clear and made a tiny error.
So without further ado here is my SV3-48” tall skimmer good for 500 gallons
a9f79a58fc5182fbcb11fd73ed29c256.jpg
3fde7eabebf73c040e3728f09e66de4a.jpg
05fe0f00f0fdddc9ae7b215a81581492.jpg

He made me a SV3-72” monster. And I couldn’t bring myself to let him cut it shorter. That and he charged me for the 48” so I can handle 3X the volume I was planning for, 1,500 gallons.
The answer is Yes, I am having a good day.

Holy shi* that’s a heck of a skimmer!!!
Jealous! I love my life reef setup :)

OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the skimmer came. And me be the impatient person that I am I put it on the current system of 150 gallons I may take it back off later especially when I start plumbing in the new build. It’s been running for 48 hours and started skimming out crap after 24. I don’t think it’s broke in yet but so far so good. I will need a bigger pump when I put it on the new system. I have a jabeo 9000 on it now that doesn’t care for the 6”x 6’ head pressure. It works but I think I need more. I would like to get the fmm from Neptune for my next purchase and see how much gph I’m actually putting through it. I could figure it out the old fashioned way but a flow meter is cooler and I was getting it anyway.
IMG_0639.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG
IMG_0646.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG

OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jabeo DCP-18000 will be here tomorrow. I’m going to try it out on the lifereef but I want to try it for a return to one of the tanks on the new build too.
If I can handle the noise then I will get another blue line/panworld 70hd for permanent use on the skimmer. I’ll try the one I have on the mixing station first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Lifereef skimmer is massive holy cow I can’t believe you have a 6ft skimmer !!! That’s insane ! But impressive!!

Thanks Clayton
I measured it and is actually 6’ 1 1/2” I’m 6’4” so the skimmer and I can look each other in the eye lol.
I was talking with Jeff from lifereef yesterday about building me a skimmate waste container to match the skimmer with a black base, grey flange, and orange lid, with a built in vent to hold carbon a quick connection fitting for the drain line and spots for 2 float switches one for full alert and the other for shutting off the skimmer if I forget about the first.
I think I’ll have him build a calcium reactor too that matches but that’s down the road. I was going to make all these things but you would be upgrading from your current tank build to your next one before I was done with this. I just don’t have the time.
Next phase is taking out some walls, and putting in new tile in our entryway then I can place the stand and start plumbing.

Last edited:

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Clayton
I measured it and is actually 6’ 1 1/2” I’m 6’4” so the skimmer and I can look each other in the eye lol.
I was talking with Jeff from lifereef yesterday about building me a skimmate waste container to match the skimmer with a black base, grey flange, and orange lid, with a built in vent to hold carbon a quick connection fitting for the drain line and spots for 2 float switches one for full alert and the other for shutting off the skimmer if I forget about the first.
I think I’ll have him build a calcium reactor too that matches but that’s down the road. I was going to make all these things but you would be upgrading from you current tank to your next one before I was done with this. I just don’t have the time.
Next phase is taking out some walls, and putting in new tile in our entryway then I can place the stand and start plumbing.

Man @ haanstang! That’s a massive skimmer ! Taller then me I stand 5’11” ! That’s would be nice to see a waste collector and calcium reactor all build to match ! I say you get them done! Wow it sounds like you have quite a bit of work to do but , u got this and keep getting it all done to bring that tank into place .. we are both extremely close !

OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0688.JPG
IMG_0687.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG

Jabeo DCP-18000 came today.
I’m going to try and install it on the skimmer before work.

OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant wait to see that sump in action. Looks awesome. Fun build so far!

I can’t wait either. The sump still needs some finishing touches yet. And I haven’t decided on color for the outside of it. I was thinking grey and orange to match other things but then I was thinking to clear epoxy it or a light colored stain with polyurethane so you can see that it’s wood. Might be cooler to tell it’s a wooden sump at first glance.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back