Hawaiian flame wrasse

str8salt

OG SALT CREEP!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for info on these. I have 2 females coming in on thursday and was wondering about acllimation tips, hardiness, and female to male transformation. Thanks for your help and info.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for info on these. I have 2 females coming in on thursday and was wondering about acllimation tips, hardiness, and female to male transformation. Thanks for your help and info.
yup... the more dominant one will become a male overtime... acclimate like any other new fish... a QT tank would be awesome to make sure they are eating well before putting them in the main tank... they are pretty hardy and great eaters once you get them going... don't be surprised if they don't come out too much for the first few days... just make sure they eat... I feed mine mysis, enriched brine, flakes, spectrum, frozen cyclops, and Rod's food... good luck... :)

OP
OP
str8salt

str8salt

OG SALT CREEP!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I don't have a qt tank yet, but my tank is very peaceful. Very low fish load. They will be the stars. When the female turns to a male will it look like a male? I keep seeing the turn supermale thrown around. I have garnered that that referes top a all the time male. But how would you know unless you hatched and reared the fry? Thanks

thincat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing...they are major jumpers and you need a lid or they will be carpet surfers for sure...
T.

OP
OP
str8salt

str8salt

OG SALT CREEP!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a full hood. Its about 18 inchs tall. I hope they wont jump out? Too expensive to lose. How high do they jump? If higher than that I will put some light diffuser grid across the top. Let me know. Thanks,

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I don't have a qt tank yet, but my tank is very peaceful. Very low fish load. They will be the stars. When the female turns to a male will it look like a male? I keep seeing the turn supermale thrown around. I have garnered that that referes top a all the time male. But how would you know unless you hatched and reared the fry? Thanks
here's a nice "male"... don't think it's a SuperMale yet! but still awesome... sorry, no still shots...

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of wrasses are jumpers and can find small nooks and crannies in their pursuit of a carpet surfing experience. My lineatus took a dive into the brick floor this weekend with the canopy only opened a crack. Run some egg crate across any open areas and you should be fine. I'd cover overflows, too. My meleagris has gone overflow diving a few times...

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Supermale with a five female harem. Become ultra tame and will come by your hands to check out what you are doing. I've even had them swim into the container I was thawing frozen food out in as I poured it into the tank!

OP
OP
str8salt

str8salt

OG SALT CREEP!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked them up. They are aclimating as we speak. I will try to snap some pictures when they are in the tank. I'm just so anxios. These are my holy grail of fish. I saw them when we were in Mauii and I had to have some. Thanks for the suggestions.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked them up. They are aclimating as we speak. I will try to snap some pictures when they are in the tank. I'm just so anxios. These are my holy grail of fish. I saw them when we were in Mauii and I had to have some. Thanks for the suggestions.

Pics? I might have to swing by on my way to the fire station.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back