Heater & ATO for 29 Gal BioCube

heyjanie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Its getting to that very short time of year where I need to figure out a good heater for my 29 gal BioCube (I say this because I live in Florida, so not much need for one outside of maybe 3 months out of the year so I've been putting off getting one). I'm also in the market for an ATO since I've got a decent amount of corals now and I want to ensure there are no salinity swings.

For the heater, I've been trying to research what the best option is for my tank, but I keep seeing a bunch of mixed reviews on different ones so I'd love to hear everyone's opinions to try to narrow down the options. Also, is it worth getting the Inkbird controller? If so, 306A or 308S? Is the wifi one even worth considering?

For the ATO, I think I've narrowed it down to the Tunze 3155 Osmolator, but still open to feedback here!

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions :D

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim Jager or Fluval M-Series are both really good. Tunze is what I'd go with for an ATO. Inkbirds are good, but they're really geared towards inanimate titanium rods. Otherwise you basically have to use the Inkbird as a failsafe for your controlled heater since it doesn't work the same controlled heaters.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim Jager or Fluval M-Series are both really good. Tunze is what I'd go with for an ATO. Inkbirds are good, but they're really geared towards inanimate titanium rods. Otherwise you basically have to use the Inkbird as a failsafe for your controlled heater since it doesn't work the same controlled heaters.
I’ve had like 3 fluvals go out on me and cook fish. I don’t trust anything but Eheim Jager heaters anymore. I got the inkbird controller specifically to prevent this issue with my heaters. It does a good job and since my Jager heater is one of the like 1/1000 that won’t properly calibrate it makes me feel a little safer with it. They’re massive heaters but I don’t trust any other brand anymore.

OP
OP
heyjanie

heyjanie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had like 3 fluvals go out on me and cook fish. I don’t trust anything but Eheim Jager heaters anymore. I got the inkbird controller specifically to prevent this issue with my heaters. It does a good job and since my Jager heater is one of the like 1/1000 that won’t properly calibrate it makes me feel a little safer with it. They’re massive heaters but I don’t trust any other brand anymore.
Oh man that’s horrifying! I can’t imagine coming home to everything cooked

Maybe I will go with the Inkbird in addition just for peace of mind.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man that’s horrifying! I can’t imagine coming home to everything cooked

Maybe I will go with the Inkbird in addition just for peace of mind.
The first two times it just messed with some coral but the third time my coral beauty died. I only had 3 fish at the time and damsels are basically the devil so of course it survived and my engineer goby was fine. But after that I decided a temp controller was a must.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back