Heater Settings Dilemma

Auphoenix43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help confirm my heater set up please? 2 heaters in my sump, one for backup in case the other fails. I have the Inkbird to plug them both into. I set the thermostat on heater 1 to be 2 degrees higher than the Inkbird so the Inkbird controls on and off. What do I set the 2nd heater to? I don’t want both heaters on at the same time do I?

thanks!

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same setup with the Inkbird and I use both heaters at the same time, so both are set higher than the Inkbird setting. The goal is if one stops working, the other one will.

If one overheats, the Inkbird will shut it down. Unless the Inkbird fails, but that’s another story.

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a primary heater on my apex at 78.3. The drift is 78-78.5

The inkbird is backup and set to 77degrees. If I ever see the temp pegged to 77. I know the primary is down. Alternatively I could also monitor the amperage on the inkbird outlet to see it working, but I choose to recognize 77 degrees as primary failure.

Many ways to deal with this. Just have a way to know what is and is not working so you can do something about it.

Let us know what you decide to do!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not running inkbirds but two Ranco controllers. I have my primary controller set to 78° F with a differential of 1° F the secondary is set to 78° F but with a differential of 2° F. In normal operation the temperature fluctuates between 77 - 78° F but if for some reason that will not maintain temperature the secondary will turn on at 76° F.

OP
OP
A

Auphoenix43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a primary heater on my apex at 78.3. The drift is 78-78.5

The inkbird is backup and set to 77degrees. If I ever see the temp pegged to 77. I know the primary is down. Alternatively I could also monitor the amperage on the inkbird outlet to see it working, but I choose to recognize 77 degrees as primary failure.

Many ways to deal with this. Just have a way to know what is and is not working so you can do something about it.

Let us know what you decide to do!
Thanks so much for the info!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back