Hello from NYC !

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and welcome back to the hobby! Looks like you are off to a good start, a tank thermometer and some 5 gallon buckets (or other water mixing station would be good to add to the list - though you may still have them from your last tank. An auto top off is also nice, they aren't mandatory, but they definitely make it easier to maintain stability.

OP
OP
Cheeze

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and welcome back to the hobby! Looks like you are off to a good start, a tank thermometer and some 5 gallon buckets (or other water mixing station would be good to add to the list - though you may still have them from your last tank. An auto top off is also nice, they aren't mandatory, but they definitely make it easier to maintain stability.
Thanks Salty! Forgot to add a hydrometer/refractometer to the list!!

Forgot to mention I ordered a gravity-operated top off system, one of those where you screw a water bottle into, with the 2 tubes in the water...since I won't have a sump and limited space with the size of the tank, I'm going to see how this fares.

And check the box on the buckets!!!

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
r2r.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community

OP
OP
Cheeze

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for all the warm welcomes!!! Just browsing other threads, I've jogged my memory from my previous tank and am learning new things and techniques!

I've been slowing purchasing the necessities from my original post as I patiently await my tank arrival, and have a few items left to go. In the meantime, can I ask a couple of questions to get your advice?

Considering the tank size is 35" L x 16" W x 16" H, and I plan on keeping a mixed reef dominant in LPS with some SPS and soft:

1) Powerhead/Wavemaker - What strength would you suggest? Would 1,500 gph be good or should I go smaller?

2) Lighting - I'm debating btwn the (a) Radion XR15 or the (b) AI Prime 16HD (thanks @Bepis for the suggestion!). Both seem to have a 24 x 24 spread but would one of either be sufficient, or would I need two given the tank dimensions? Or should I go two smaller lights?

3) Test Kits - refractometer is on the way, but would I need anything else other than testers for Ph, Alkalinity, Phosphate, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia and Calcium? Bearing in mind I'll be cycling from scratch.

Again, thank you all!!!

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for all the warm welcomes!!! Just browsing other threads, I've jogged my memory from my previous tank and am learning new things and techniques!

I've been slowing purchasing the necessities from my original post as I patiently await my tank arrival, and have a few items left to go. In the meantime, can I ask a couple of questions to get your advice?

Considering the tank size is 35" L x 16" W x 16" H, and I plan on keeping a mixed reef dominant in LPS with some SPS and soft:

1) Powerhead/Wavemaker - What strength would you suggest? Would 1,500 gph be good or should I go smaller?

2) Lighting - I'm debating btwn the (a) Radion XR15 or the (b) AI Prime 16HD (thanks @Bepis for the suggestion!). Both seem to have a 24 x 24 spread but would one of either be sufficient, or would I need two given the tank dimensions? Or should I go two smaller lights?

3) Test Kits - refractometer is on the way, but would I need anything else other than testers for Ph, Alkalinity, Phosphate, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia and Calcium? Bearing in mind I'll be cycling from scratch.

Again, thank you all!!!

hello cheeze (love the name)

1: Regarding powerhead I wish I had gone with a DC on my small tank. I’d go for something like the Reef Breeders RPM
or if profile is your thing you can go for the Nero 3. Eventually if you want you can add a 2nd.

2. Regarding lighting for both a XR15 and AI Prime 16 HD it is required to have 2.
If you have the money I’d go with the xr15s since they produce much better spectrum and par (by a far shot) than the AI Primes. The reason 2 are needed is since especially with the ai prime at 24” your par is already at 30 and that’s nowhere near what is needed in a 35” tank your gonna have areas without light at all with a single fixture

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back