OP
OP
reefinnewb

reefinnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that same think about a year ago, lost much of my corals - it took me about 6 months of pulling my hair out before I figured it out and had the " WOW , I could have had a V8" moment = not calibrating my refractometer. Where in PA are you? The club in the Pittsbrugh area is reasonably active- Covid19 shut us down this year, but we have a facebook page and our own area on this forum = 3RMAS.com. If you are in our area- please PM.
I'm about 4 hours east. Allentown area. 45 minutes north of Philly.

I couldn't believe I let it go for that long uncalibrated. In the almost 20 years I've been doing this I've had three crashes. 2 of three I knew what it was immediately. This one stumped me for a bit. I'm a network admin so troubleshooting is in my blood. Just happened that this happened to be the last thing I checked. The other was due to heat when I was living at home in the attic, the tank literally melted, and the other the tank cracked while I was out of town.

Good news is it was an easy fix and suprisingly a few of the coral I thought were goners have started to grow back.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning all! Figured I'd introduce myself. Long time reefer (handle is from the beginning) I started in 2004 with a little 7 gallon, moved to a 15, to a 32, 40b, 65. Then life started and took a few year break. Wife got pregnant and to deal with stresses of that I started a 32 gallon cube, then moved to a 57 rimless which is where I'm currently at. Looking to move in the next year or two (COVID dependent) then the larger tank will come. I already have the plans in my head. Needless to say, once you get into this hobby, it's hard to stay out of it.
Welcome to the R2R community and happy reefing!!

Welcome To The Team GIF by memecandy

OP
OP
reefinnewb

reefinnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked you up on the map, that looks like it’s near limestone country...my ex boss told me its like the best trout fishing east of the Mississippi ....
you fish?
oh welcome!
We have fantastic trout fishing here and terribly hard water... Lol

I used to fish when I was little and then lost interest. Now that my son is old enough I've started again. My father in law and brother in law are huge fisherman so we have great sources of information.

madisonmajhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning all! Figured I'd introduce myself. Long time reefer (handle is from the beginning) I started in 2004 with a little 7 gallon, moved to a 15, to a 32, 40b, 65. Then life started and took a few year break. Wife got pregnant and to deal with stresses of that I started a 32 gallon cube, then moved to a 57 rimless which is where I'm currently at. Looking to move in the next year or two (COVID dependent) then the larger tank will come. I already have the plans in my head. Needless to say, once you get into this hobby, it's hard to stay out of it.
Hey there! Lived in PA my whole life up until I moved to FL. I’m brand new to the hobby and absolutely love it and yes it is a very addictive escape! XD Happy Reefing and good luck with the new baby!

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 4 hours east. Allentown area. 45 minutes north of Philly.

I couldn't believe I let it go for that long uncalibrated. In the almost 20 years I've been doing this I've had three crashes. 2 of three I knew what it was immediately. This one stumped me for a bit. I'm a network admin so troubleshooting is in my blood. Just happened that this happened to be the last thing I checked. The other was due to heat when I was living at home in the attic, the tank literally melted, and the other the tank cracked while I was out of town.

Good news is it was an easy fix and suprisingly a few of the coral I thought were goners have started to grow back.

I'm about 30min north of you in the poconos!

The North East PA area is lacking in quality reef store.

Glad to see you got things sorted out and back on the right path with the tank.

If you need any cheap frags to restock your tank let me know!

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R!
I'm originally from Slatington but I live in GA now. Mother lives in Leighton and all the rest of the family in an around the area. I love it up there, always plan my visits in the winter so I can come play in the snow :D

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back