Hello (from the UK)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello out there to all my new reefing family.

I've arrived here from a recommendation on Reddit so I look forward to learning from you all.

Bit of background on my fish keeping:

- during my younger years - I had your classic 80s fish bowl with goldfish, no filtration, weekly water changes etc. Eventually moved up to a larger tank probably no more than 30L and have an extra goldfish or two.
- teenage years - I graduated to tropical freshwater fish (100L) tank. Proper old school tank from the early 90s, rectangular tank, no lid, no drilled holes for plumbing, no sump, all glass. Mostly kept guppies with the odd other fish.
- early 20s - no fish keeping for multiple reasons :(
- late 20s - after finally finding my own place to live, I got my first nano 23L tank (Fluvel Edge). Tropical set up to reignite my love for fish keeping.
- early 30s - after buying my first house, I get my old 100L tank back and try to scale up my interest again. Guppies again (of course), but also Shrimp and really learning an expensive lesson on not keeping small fish with shrimp.
- now (late 30s) - moved house and decided not to set up the 100L tank. It's now sat in the garage along with a 15L nano tank I somehow came to own. My 23L Fluval has however been lost forever. But I have gained a 200L Aqua One cube tank that has started my passion to learn more about Reefing. And that's why I'm here.

My reef tank has been up and running for three years, with more expensive lessons learned. Many fish have come and gone, and I'm pretty certain it's through a combination of poor water management and a dominant Clarkii clownfish that I don't know what to do with.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, from the UK too. Always good to have more UK based peeps, we just need more UK businesses to follow suit and we might get a mini version of the competitions that the luck USA folks get the chance to win.
Would be nice to win something yeah ^_^

OP
OP
C

Clarkii82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither really as im from bradford but been here 13 year now but if had to choose be red ^_^

ha, wouldn’t matter anyway but good to know you’re leaning towards the red half. A Liverpool fan myself even though I’m Scottish and living in Bedfordshire.

OP
OP
C

Clarkii82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, from the UK too. Always good to have more UK based peeps, we just need more UK businesses to follow suit and we might get a mini version of the competitions that the luck USA folks get the chance to win.
Hello. Yeah I did notice this place is very US centric. I really need to work on my gallons<>litres conversations. Haven’t noticed the competitions element or the lack of Uk businesses but certainly would be good if there was some activity.

For the life of me I’ve been unable to find a decent Uk forum for support. I’ve tried Facebook (but trying to use it less and less), Reddit (which I’m using more and more), and now here.

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Yeah I did notice this place is very US centric. I really need to work on my gallons<>litres conversations. Haven’t noticed the competitions element or the lack of Uk businesses but certainly would be good if there was some activity.

For the life of me I’ve been unable to find a decent Uk forum for support. I’ve tried Facebook (but trying to use it less and less), Reddit (which I’m using more and more), and now here.
Regardless of how we miss out on competitions here R2R is still a great community and a source of great info and knowledge, there are truly some great people here.

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! It is true that while we like to think we're keeping fish or corals, we're really keeping water -- the fish or corals are the reward for good water husbandry. Do you have any LFS that may be willing to take your problematic clown in return for some store credit? In my area, there is a pretty robust reef club, and members often post fish that are looking for a new home at a decent price.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello out there to all my new reefing family.

I've arrived here from a recommendation on Reddit so I look forward to learning from you all.

Bit of background on my fish keeping:

- during my younger years - I had your classic 80s fish bowl with goldfish, no filtration, weekly water changes etc. Eventually moved up to a larger tank probably no more than 30L and have an extra goldfish or two.
- teenage years - I graduated to tropical freshwater fish (100L) tank. Proper old school tank from the early 90s, rectangular tank, no lid, no drilled holes for plumbing, no sump, all glass. Mostly kept guppies with the odd other fish.
- early 20s - no fish keeping for multiple reasons :(
- late 20s - after finally finding my own place to live, I got my first nano 23L tank (Fluvel Edge). Tropical set up to reignite my love for fish keeping.
- early 30s - after buying my first house, I get my old 100L tank back and try to scale up my interest again. Guppies again (of course), but also Shrimp and really learning an expensive lesson on not keeping small fish with shrimp.
- now (late 30s) - moved house and decided not to set up the 100L tank. It's now sat in the garage along with a 15L nano tank I somehow came to own. My 23L Fluval has however been lost forever. But I have gained a 200L Aqua One cube tank that has started my passion to learn more about Reefing. And that's why I'm here.

My reef tank has been up and running for three years, with more expensive lessons learned. Many fish have come and gone, and I'm pretty certain it's through a combination of poor water management and a dominant Clarkii clownfish that I don't know what to do with.
Welcome! It sounds like you bring some knowledge with you! This is a great place to ask questions and to share your experiences!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back