Help clownfish eating acro

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eric23
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Eric23

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
366
Reaction score
124
Location
Mamaroneck
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I saw my clownfish nipping at piece of stag and this morning it was bone white and he was still eating what little flesh was left on it

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
 
Typically clownfish will not prey on stony corals. Although if the coral is already dying, the flesh will peel off, fish, shrimp, crabs, snails, etc will eat the dying flesh.

I don't think the clownfish is the source of the problem. The coral was probably RTN'ing.
 
Yep. Really unusual for a clownfish to eat corals. But I did have a damsel wreak havoc on some xenia once, before I knew to avoid both :)
 
Clown fish eating corals

Yep. Really unusual for a clownfish to eat corals. But I did have a damsel wreak havoc on some xenia once, before I knew to avoid both :)
Well don't feel bad I have a
gold-flick Angel that's eating about $400 worth of Acans from Australia and she looking for more.:cry:
 
I have never heard of a clown doing this but I have personally had a goby that would do the same thing!
 
I think its rtn because I can see the flesh peeling off the frag and I guess he's just eating it as it peels. I've never had this happen the only thing I've started doing differently is dosing brightwell a & b I guess I should break this frag off my rock ? It's still green around the very bottom where it encrusted so I'm thinking maybe there's a chance it will grow back from that ?? Or should I leave it in and see if it comes back ?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
 
I think its rtn because I can see the flesh peeling off the frag and I guess he's just eating it as it peels. I've never had this happen the only thing I've started doing differently is dosing brightwell a & b I guess I should break this frag off my rock ? It's still green around the very bottom where it encrusted so I'm thinking maybe there's a chance it will grow back from that ?? Or should I leave it in and see if it comes back ?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Trim off the RTN area otherwise it will quickly consume the entire coral.

Check your alkalinity and calcium as soon as possible, something is definitely off.
 
Just did some tests

Salinity 1.026
Dkh 8.4 - 8.7
Ca 410-420



Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 5.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new