OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those numbers aren't terrible... Leave the tank alone so it sorts itself out... If you keep messing with it, you are gonna lose your corals too...
Thank you I agree with leaving it alone. Need to focus one thing at a time and I think this bloom is priority right now. There is no Dino’s visible at the moment.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tricky... maybe “Do No Harm” is best right now for a few days.
I am hoping all corals pull through
Glad you second that. I had zero nutrients for a month and although corrals weren’t happy they lived just fine. The dinos if it comes back will be minor because I currently see no Dino’s in the tank. Wouldn’t that be nice if once this resolved they never come back haha.

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prep another 40% water change. Feed the corals lightly then give it a few hours and change the water. Personally water changes are my go-to in a nano, if the water is clean and the right temp I can’t see the harm in doing them regularly to help stabilise the tank. Your corals are probably giving off all kinds of chemical signals atm

Last edited:

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prep another 40% water change. Feed the corals lightly then give it a few hours and change the water. Personally water changes are my go-to in a nano, if the water is clean and the right temp I can’t see the harm in doing them regularly to help stabilise the tank. Your corals are probably giving off all kinds of chemical signals atm
If he keeps changing the water, he rips the nutrients out of the tank and feeds the dinos he has going on... He needs to leave it alone...

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will sort itself out... I have faith... lol

Just not necessarily the way we want :O

I get what you’re saying, it can be a hard call and ‘do nothing’ is almost always the right pick. With a bloom like this in a nano though I would be wanting to compensate for the lack of volume to dilute all the chemistry going on atm.

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I experienced this too with my 30g. I think the small sized tanks are more susceptible to rapid changes and blooms than larger vol tanks.

Luckily I only lost a couple hermits, and I hadn't added fish into the system when it happened. Taking advice from here, I purchased a cartridge UV filter to resolve the algae and bacterial blooms.

Why are you doing a 100% water change? You will lose all your salt and will have to re-add, then the problem will just happen again. For the addition of freshly oxygenated water, I suggest doing several 20% water changes over a few days. But IMO it's a UV filter you need to keep the issue from happening again. It shouldn't have too much affect on the beneficial bacterial numbers as those are in the sand and on the rock surface, whereas the bacteria you want to get rid of are in the water column.

You could add a UV tube to your tank, but from what I read the danger is that this can damage passing fish/inverts (in some cases kill if the UV is strong enough). So I opted to get an internal cartridge filter with a UV tube fitted inside, so the water is sucked into the inlet and passes the UV steriliser that kills the bacteria and algae without the risk of damaging any stock.

I know most here will say internal filters are not usually things are done in the marine hobby, but i'm coming from a freshwater perspective and all my tanks have internal and external filters. The internal UV cartridge filter I added not only cleared the bacterial bloom literally overnight, it has since then kept my water crystal clear with no bad smells. Better yet, the cartridge filters outflow has an air inlet tube so my tank has a constant stream of micro bubbles oxygenating the water (my clowns love the bubbles!).

I also have an external filter with a spray bar inlet for circulation, and I keep it at a steep angle for more bubbles and the oxygenating benefit.

Scott

EDIT: forgot to mention if you decide to go for a cartridge UV, make it even better by purchasing some phosphate removal filter media and a bag of anti-silicate. I wish i'd done that at the time as I am currently trying to get rid of diatoms - trust me its not something you want.

Last edited:

Marc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the best news. The fish store owner called me. I told them it was their fault. She tried everything to make her coworker sound smart but I’ve done my research. She hands her phone to her husband who also owns the store with her cuz she didn’t know what to say to me. After speaking with him he said I can tell you know your stuff and I believe you. We will talk to the employee who told you wrong information and we want to keep your business ( I have spent 2 grand there ) because we like when people are in the hobby for the long run. You will have a 400$ in store credit when you come in next. That will cover the cost of all my fish dead and more. I think I’m going to get cheaper clown fish really hope I don’t lose corrals.

That's what separates a good LFS from a GREAT LFS. Its not about the bottom line but keeping the customer happy.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's what separates a good LFS from a GREAT LFS. Its not about the bottom line but keeping the customer happy.
I completely agree. Although I know they were thinking I’ve already spent 2 grand so they didn’t want to lose me I’m glad they made it right.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good news I can finally see stuff in my tank. I was able to locate my dead shrimp and mandarin before I couldn’t find them. I must say all my corrals are okay so far and even my zoas are open. I really can’t thank you guys enough on this forum. It was so scary coming home to dead livestock but with all your help I managed to save my corrals. That last minute run to Walmart was a life saver. Every pet store was closed. Here is my tank now. I will update when it fully clears and I add my new fish. Much love to you guys for helping me <3

D93E44B2-065D-4BDF-B106-B2B4BDB6A2B3.jpeg

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,

I experienced this too with my 30g. I think the small sized tanks are more susceptible to rapid changes and blooms than larger vol tanks.

Luckily I only lost a couple hermits, and I hadn't added fish into the system when it happened. Taking advice from here, I purchased a cartridge UV filter to resolve the algae and bacterial blooms.

Why are you doing a 100% water change? You will lose all your salt and will have to re-add, then the problem will just happen again. For the addition of freshly oxygenated water, I suggest doing several 20% water changes over a few days. But IMO it's a UV filter you need to keep the issue from happening again. It shouldn't have too much affect on the beneficial bacterial numbers as those are in the sand and on the rock surface, whereas the bacteria you want to get rid of are in the water column.

You could add a UV tube to your tank, but from what I read the danger is that this can damage passing fish/inverts (in some cases kill if the UV is strong enough). So I opted to get an internal cartridge filter with a UV tube fitted inside, so the water is sucked into the inlet and passes the UV steriliser that kills the bacteria and algae without the risk of damaging any stock.

I know most here will say internal filters are not usually things are done in the marine hobby, but i'm coming from a freshwater perspective and all my tanks have internal and external filters. The internal UV cartridge filter I added not only cleared the bacterial bloom literally overnight, it has since then kept my water crystal clear with no bad smells. Better yet, the cartridge filters outflow has an air inlet tube so my tank has a constant stream of micro bubbles oxygenating the water (my clowns love the bubbles!).

I also have an external filter with a spray bar inlet for circulation, and I keep it at a steep angle for more bubbles and the oxygenating benefit.

Scott

EDIT: forgot to mention if you decide to go for a cartridge UV, make it even better by purchasing some phosphate removal filter media and a bag of anti-silicate. I wish i'd done that at the time as I am currently trying to get rid of diatoms - trust me its not something you want.
Thank you for your reply. I have no heard of a cartridge for a UV. Is this what you mean ?

5EBB0113-7F2D-4896-9B18-812FF46DEA1B.jpeg 583A145A-631F-45A4-9DC4-F504E1AEC423.jpeg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does BRS have any idea when the UV size you need will be back in stock?

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I posted about the UV option before reading all the rest, sorry to hear you lost your fish :( What were the types?

This is an internal catridge UV filter. Directional Nozzel at top is an outlet bubble spray, UV tube is inside the filter.

images.jpg

I know cartridges are not usually used for marine aquariums, as the more expensive marine aquariums come with a sump to put things like this in and rely on a skimmer. But I am not in that position financially, and I have spare equipment from my freshwater aquariums. Besides, my wife would kill me if I started drilling holes in our furniture to do a DIY sump! Well on second thoughts she needs my salary, so maybe just broken knee-caps ;)

My new tank came with a built in filter and another chamber for a second filter, so I made use of the space with a UV cartridge. There are small gaps that allow my filters outlet nozzels to spray directly into main area of the tank.

But it sounds like you have what you need now. Are you going to keep the aerator going to make sure your water is always oxygenated? I'd suggest so, especially if you can get a very fine air stone for micro-bubbles.

I don't know why more marine hobbyist don't use one, after all anyone who has ever snorkled above a reef (I've done it off Australia, Portugal and Japan) know from the wave effects that the water is constantly full of bubbles, so it is what would naturally occur. My Clowns and Damsel seem to love playing in the bubbles! :)

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does BRS have any idea when the UV size you need will be back in stock?
I actually live by BRS. They don’t know due to covid. But I was able to already return the wrong sized one. I have ordered the desktop from another website. Should be here by Monday the quicker shipping was so expensive.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I posted about the UV option before reading all the rest, sorry to hear you lost your fish :( What were the types?

This is an internal catridge UV filter. Directional Nozzel at top is an outlet bubble spray, UV tube is inside the filter.

images.jpg

I know cartridges are not usually used for marine aquariums, as the more expensive marine aquariums come with a sump to put things like this in and rely on a skimmer. But I am not in that position financially, and I have spare equipment from my freshwater aquariums. Besides, my wife would kill me if I started drilling holes in our furniture to do a DIY sump! Well on second thoughts she needs my salary, so maybe just broken knee-caps ;)

My new tank came with a built in filter and another chamber for a second filter, so I made use of the space with a UV cartridge. There are small gaps that allow my filters outlet nozzels to spray directly into main area of the tank.

But it sounds like you have what you need now. Are you going to keep the aerator going to make sure your water is always oxygenated? I'd suggest so, especially if you can get a very fine air stone for micro-bubbles.

I don't know why more marine hobbyist don't use one, after all anyone who has ever snorkled above a reef (I've done it off Australia, Portugal and Japan) know from the wave effects that the water is constantly full of bubbles, so it is what would naturally occur. My Clowns and Damsel seem to love playing in the bubbles! :)
I’m glad I don’t have a wife yet because I spend way to much money on this stuff ahaha. Let’s just say I hide the real cost from the dates ahahaha. What kind of tank do you have ? And I’m leaving the air stone until Friday for sure. I have an oxygen test kit now and a ph reader ( low o2 makes ph drop). So if I maintain my normal 8.1 ph I don’t think I need the extra oxygen. I personally don’t like the look of micro bubbles especially in a 20 gallon tank. I have spent a lot on equipment tho and my power head is pointed up with the nozzles that’s go into the tank. Pretty much I believe if you have a ph over 8 and test oxygen and it’s 8mg/l or higher I think there is plenty of oxygen. In the future tho anytime I dose bacteria I for sure Will keep a air stone in because a lot of times when you dose bacteria you shut off the protein skimmer ( one way to add 02). In essence shutting of skimmer and dosing bacteria leading to a bloom is a death sentence.
Side note I’m jealous you have dived. I can’t wait to do so I just graduated nursing school so I have the funds finally. Any suggestions where the first place I should dive to look at reefs?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

images.jpg

If you are curious when I tested my oxygen in tank I concluded I only had 2mg/l oxygen and my ph went from 8.1 normally to 7.4. This was when I noticed my fish dead.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

images.jpg

I used a green killing machine UV for my Dinos. It said it was suitable for saltwater, but the pump impeller rod started rusting after 2 months. It did get rid of my Dinos very quickly though.

Maybe you should check to make sure yours is holding up ok in saltwater.
Let me know if it is because I need a good thrifty choice in case I ever need one again. I just cant justify $300.

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad I don’t have a wife yet because I spend way to much money on this stuff ahaha. Let’s just say I hide the real cost from the dates ahahaha. What kind of tank do you have ? And I’m leaving the air stone until Friday for sure. I have an oxygen test kit now and a ph reader ( low o2 makes ph drop). So if I maintain my normal 8.1 ph I don’t think I need the extra oxygen. I personally don’t like the look of micro bubbles especially in a 20 gallon tank.
My tank isnt much larger than yours, it's a Superfish Home 110.
If you don't like the look of bubbles, then the easy solution is just to turn it on at night, then turn it off when you get up.
It may be the case that the sudden drop in pH was the biggest killer, esp affecting corals.

Side note I’m jealous you have dived. I can’t wait to do so I just graduated nursing school so I have the funds finally. Any suggestions where the first place I should dive to look at reefs?
Depends where you are located as you don't have that info in your profile. If your in the US like most on this site, Gulf of Mexico for sure, just be careful as tourists can be targetted. I haven't been to Mexico myself as I travelled further South, but back in Uni a few mates did a summer together as scuba instructors there and said it was awesome (babe magnet supposidly but you can't believe all students say!)

If your in Europe, then its a relatively short flight to either the Amalfi Coast off Italy in the Adriatic Sea, or a little further flight time to the coast off Israel in the Med where there is the coral beach Eliat and the Yatush wreck. Portugal is v nice just watch the strong Atlantic currents.

Great barrier Reef off Cairns AU was amazing esp the giant clams. But I was very young and dumb back then doing lots of crazy things (Pirahna fishing in Brazil for example) so if I did it now i'd be thinking Great White Sharks...dur dum... dur dum...the Med is safer!

Scott

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank isnt much larger than yours, it's a Superfish Home 110.
If you don't like the look of bubbles, then the easy solution is just to turn it on at night, then turn it off when you get up.
It may be the case that the sudden drop in pH was the biggest killer, esp affecting corals.

Depends where you are located as you don't have that info in your profile. If your in the US like most on this site, Gulf of Mexico for sure, just be careful as tourists can be targetted. I haven't been to Mexico myself as I travelled further South, but back in Uni a few mates did a summer together as scuba instructors there and said it was awesome (babe magnet supposidly but you can't believe all students say!)

If your in Europe, then its a relatively short flight to either the Amalfi Coast off Italy in the Adriatic Sea, or a little further flight time to the coast off Israel in the Med where there is the coral beach Eliat and the Yatush wreck. Portugal is v nice just watch the strong Atlantic currents.

Great barrier Reef off Cairns AU was amazing esp the giant clams. But I was very young and dumb back then doing lots of crazy things (Pirahna fishing in Brazil for example) so if I did it now i'd be thinking Great White Sharks...dur dum... dur dum...the Med is safer!

Scott
That is a good idea about turning it off at night. I’m located in the United States. I should probably add that to my profile thanks for pointing out. I’m going to google some of those reefs you mentioned later today. I can’t wait to be able to point out corrals and fish I know :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back