Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Unitylover
I did the dip this morning
No clue if it’s algae bits or flukes
084F1D6E-7F9B-49E1-9D16-4EA37358A7E5.jpeg
E9475CB1-746C-4F3C-AE43-944592576B68.jpeg
84219AB0-7DFC-4E50-95C3-897CFB5D1B2B.jpeg

I don't see Neobenedenia flukes in that. Other species of flukes are too small to see without a microscope.

Lethargy is simply not a primary symptom for flukes. You'll see some variation in symptoms, depending on the species, but rapid breathing and a "tattered" look are the most common symptoms. You may also see cloudy eyes and thickened mucus on the body and fins.

Jay

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
I fed my fish PE mysis instead of the usual San Francisco Bay Mysis
Is it possible it was a bad batch of food and the fish have "stomach problems" as a result?
I only bring this up because all the fish ate it, now they don't touch it, but they will eat pellets.
When I did feed it the clowns (middle of the road condition) ate a little, the Royal Gramma (worse condition) ate a ton, and the blenny (best condition) barely ate a morsel.
Is there such thing as a bad batch of frozen food that could cause this lethargy I'm observing in my fish?

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I thought. The clowns are still eating. The male ate like he normally does, the female is a bit slow probably due to the freshwater dip. The royal gramma ate so so much of the suspect food that he is not doing too hot at all. This afternoon I'll try and feed everything a pea, so that their insides get cleaned out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mysis pellets will not cause this unless fish constipated in which it would have unusual swimming pattern or behavior .
Yes you can try boiling a couple of frozen peas and feeding the inner meat of the pea to see if it helps.
Im a little behind on thread
How is breathing rate?
What test kits are you using?
A 90 minute ruby rally pro bath may help clean this up a little if you have access to rally

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
I fed my fish PE mysis instead of the usual San Francisco Bay Mysis
Is it possible it was a bad batch of food and the fish have "stomach problems" as a result?
I only bring this up because all the fish ate it, now they don't touch it, but they will eat pellets.
When I did feed it the clowns (middle of the road condition) ate a little, the Royal Gramma (worse condition) ate a ton, and the blenny (best condition) barely ate a morsel.
Is there such thing as a bad batch of frozen food that could cause this lethargy I'm observing in my fish?

The food could be the issue, but you need to ensure it is indeed cause and effect - if the fish began acting like this within 24 hours of being fed this food, then that is possible, after a week? Unlikely.

The problem with aquarium frozen foods is that it is sometimes handled poorly before you buy it - freezing and thawing many times. I once went to a LFS to buy some food and they had a self-service freezer. I pulled out a pack and it was all mushy!

Jay

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis pellets will not cause this unless fish constipated in which it would have unusual swimming pattern or behavior .
Yes you can try boiling a couple of frozen peas and feeding the inner meat of the pea to see if it helps.
Im a little behind on thread
How is breathing rate?
What test kits are you using?
A 90 minute ruby rally pro bath may help clean this up a little if you have access to rally
Sorry to not clear this up. It was frozen mysis. I think it thawed and I didn't realize when I put it in the freezer.
Breathing is normal across the board.
I used a stupid API ammonia test because that's the only one that I could get access to. The results were not accurate (gave me multiple colors)

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to not clear this up. It was frozen mysis. I think it thawed and I didn't realize when I put it in the freezer.
Breathing is normal across the board.
I used a stupid API ammonia test because that's the only one that I could get access to. The results were not accurate (gave me multiple colors)
how long ago did you feed the mysis before last night?

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The food could be the issue, but you need to ensure it is indeed cause and effect - if the fish began acting like this within 24 hours of being fed this food, then that is possible, after a week? Unlikely.

The problem with aquarium frozen foods is that it is sometimes handled poorly before you buy it - freezing and thawing many times. I once went to a LFS to buy some food and they had a self-service freezer. I pulled out a pack and it was all mushy!

Jay
It was most definitely cause and effect. I fed it one day, next day the fish were a tiny bit out of it (also fed this day), the next day (yesterday) they were not doing too hot at all.

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
Do you know of a treatment for this?
There's no way I can get food down to my royal gramma.
He's basically a breathing corpse. When I poke him he doesn't move, just a flick of the tail.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Are the fish’s gills red or inflamed by chance?
If you are getting false ammonia readings and the vessels become infected, the fish will become infected
Spoiled fish food can increase ammonia drastically. With effects of high ammonia, the fish will breathe more quickly; you will seem them flap their gills more rapidly than normal. Fish may also gasp at the surface of the water. In mild cases, fish may become lethargic and hid in the recesses of an aquarium. Invertebrates may shrink back, retracting tentacles. Invertebrates become less responsive in the presence of ammonia. The biggest sign of ammonia poisoning
Please note that I’m listing this as a possibility and not likelihood that this is what’s happening

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back