Romadov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220914_035601.jpg

Ich or velvet? The fish still eating and not breathing that fast
If its ich i want to treat with hyposalinity. What do you guys think?

OP
OP
R

Romadov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is another pic t from another blue tang and copperband butterfly fin
20220914_040445.jpg

Attachments

• 20220914_035812.jpg
    20220914_035812.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 39

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lack of rapid breathing and the way the spots look, I would say ich. Hypo has worked for me, if that's the way you want to go. I would do it immediately. If I had the ability, it might also be worth moving to a different tank.

OP
OP
R

Romadov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lack of rapid breathing and the way the spots look, I would say ich. Hypo has worked for me, if that's the way you want to go. I would do it immediately. If I had the ability, it might also be worth moving to a different tank.
The pictures are from qt, i already moved the fish from the main tank. Im hoping its ich but i dont know if ich would have this many spots, or it is late stage ich?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is another pic t from another blue tang and copperband butterfly fin
20220914_040445.jpg
This is cryptocaryon - marine ick and best treatment will be Hyposalinity at1.009 or TTM. Cryptocaryon enters your fish’s body through their skin, gills, mouth, and other openings. other treatment is copperpower at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 for a full 30 days monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna btrand- no Api
Increase aeration during treatment and monitor ammonia levels during treatment

OP
OP
R

Romadov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is cryptocaryon - marine ick and best treatment will be Hyposalinity at1.009 or TTM. Cryptocaryon enters your fish’s body through their skin, gills, mouth, and other openings. other treatment is copperpower at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 for a full 30 days monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna btrand- no Api
Increase aeration during treatment and monitor ammonia levels during treatment
Thankyou :) I'm glad and sad at the same time, how many days do i need to slowly decrease the salinity?

And does TTM cure fish that already infected? I thought TTM only prevent fish from getting ich

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thankyou :) I'm glad and sad at the same time, how many days do i need to slowly decrease the salinity?

And does TTM cure fish that already infected? I thought TTM only prevent fish from getting ich
Tank Transfer Method (ttm) is a prophylactic treatment for the Marine Ich and entails transferring a fish from one tank to another several times until the parasite is eliminated.
As for salinity , you can actually take a container like quart chinese food container, remove 2 quarts every 15-20 minutes until salinity achieved. It is safe to drop salinity fairly quick BUT NOT for increasing salinity.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many days do i need to slowly decrease the salinity?
I would do it quickly. I wouldn't wait days. Over the course of a day should be fine.
You can cure a fish of ich with TTM. The parasite falls off the fish, and before it can reproduce and attach again, the fish is moved to a sterile tank. It works well, but you have to have a full understanding of the process and follow directions carefully, and you can't cross contaminate anything.

OP
OP
R

Romadov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Transfer Method (ttm) is a prophylactic treatment for the Marine Ich and entails transferring a fish from one tank to another several times until the parasite is eliminated.
As for salinity , you can actually take a container like quart chinese food container, remove 2 quarts every 15-20 minutes until salinity achieved. It is safe to drop salinity fairly quick BUT NOT for increasing salinity.
I see, thanks for the explanation!

Another question, i have refractometer but dont have the calibration solution, im scared if its not accurate enough
SmartSelect_20220914-045700.jpg

I have this type salinity meter, is this safe to use for salinity readings and more accurate?

OP
OP
R

Romadov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it quickly. I wouldn't wait days. Over the course of a day should be fine.

You can cure a fish of ich with TTM. The parasite falls off the fish, and before it can reproduce and attach again, the fish is moved to a sterile tank. It works well, but you have to have a full understanding of the process and follow directions carefully, and you can't cross contaminate anything.
Ah thats make sense, thanks for the explanation!

For the QT i will do ASAP as @vetteguy53081 method stated

OP
OP
R

Romadov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About this, how many days does it takes to fish fully recovered and free from ich?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About this, how many days does it takes to fish fully recovered and free from ich?
With hypo, I would go at least 30 days beyond seeing the last spot. You also need to treat all fish in the display, and leave the display fishless for somewhere in the 45-75 day range.

You will start seeing less and less spots over a few days. Most of them should be gone in a week or so.

I would make a standard for your refractometer using table salt. Hypo needs to be pretty accurate. Google DIY salinity standard Farley, or something like that. RHF has an article. I believe it's about 36.5 grams of table salt in 1 liter of water.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Roughly 30 consecutive days. the salinity must remain at 1.009. If it inches up even slightly, the 30 day clock restarts for treatment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220914_035601.jpg

Ich or velvet? The fish still eating and not breathing that fast
If its ich i want to treat with hyposalinity. What do you guys think?
100% ich/Cryptocaryon (I rarely say that!). It is fairly advanced so you are going to want to get a treatment started soon.

Hyposalinity is one option, copper works as well. I’m not a fan of TTM, the extra handling and ammonia build up is extra stressful to the fish. Here is my write up on hyposalinity in case you want to try that:

Jay

OP
OP
R

Romadov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With hypo, I would go at least 30 days beyond seeing the last spot. You also need to treat all fish in the display, and leave the display fishless for somewhere in the 45-75 day range.

You will start seeing less and less spots over a few days. Most of them should be gone in a week or so.

I would make a standard for your refractometer using table salt. Hypo needs to be pretty accurate. Google DIY salinity standard Farley, or something like that. RHF has an article. I believe it's about 36.5 grams of table salt in 1 liter of water.

Roughly 30 consecutive days. the salinity must remain at 1.009. If it inches up even slightly, the 30 day clock restarts for treatment

100% ich/Cryptocaryon (I rarely say that!). It is fairly advanced so you are going to want to get a treatment started soon.

Hyposalinity is one option, copper works as well. I’m not a fan of TTM, the extra handling and ammonia build up is extra stressful to the fish. Here is my write up on hyposalinity in case you want to try that:

Jay
20220914_114838.jpg

Im doing hypo right now, i can see the ich started to falling off and swimming everywhere, the eyes now free from the ich too! But there is dust-like mark in their body, is it normal?

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transferring the fish from DT to QT is a temporary relief on its own as white spots continously falling off, but there are no new theronts released in the QT for some days - assuming QT is free from ich.

This single transfer is the first step of the ttm anyway, so it is supposed to interrupt some parasites lifecycle and improve things slightly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back