OP
OP
KimG

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates today were between 5-10 using Red Sea test kit and PO4 was .05 using Hanna checker and I double checked. Have been in blackout 71 hours now and have had carbon reactor running for about 48 hours. Had a small bag of carbon in a filter cup the whole time but wish I would’ve started the reactor immediately and perhaps my naso wouldn’t have died. Going to start up the skimmer and UV tomorrow morning. I did see your thread about starting over and I do understand because I feel that way too but I keep getting reassured that this too shall pass. I hope so for both of us!! Perhaps instead of tearing everything down you can restore balance by either replacing some of your rock with live rock. I could only swap a few pieces because the rest are glued in caves and arches. Someone also told me you can just add the live rock to the sump and get the same benefits.

Hi
Yes, I have the feeling that I will eventually add some live rock.
I miss all the creatures I used to have.
However, for the time being I will continue as is and try to solve the issue.

Looking forward to see the results of your blackout

OP
OP
KimG

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a couple of observations.
I was going trough some old photos and I suspect I had a dino bloom last year when the corals died. I just didn't pick on it.

IMG_20191028_181029.jpg

One thing 'm seeing is that since the start of this issue, my ATS as been producing less and less algae. Not only that but its been shifting from turf algae to slime algae. I missed it in the beginning (more worried about the corals), but specially since around the black out (maybe before) it has been going down hill.
The picture below is the result of 3 days of growth. Which is nothing. I have been scraping the slime off, and that was around 3 days ago. It still as not regrown.
I'm keeping the turn algae on so it can grow.

IMG_20200419_103751.jpg

It used to be only turf algae.

Interestingly, between writing all this post and trying to answer everyone's questions I have had to think a lot about all changes and events as well as check all the old photos (i have check all parameters, but they are pretty stable) and one thing that stands out to me, is that whenever my scrubber produces a thick mat of turf algae, my corals are super happy, whenever it starts to slow down or produce slim algae the corals die (or at least get really ticked).
I guess the problem is more nutrient related then the big 3.
Could also explain the dinos.
Still does not explain where the nutrients are ending up.
A 15w DIY ATS and 1% water changes do not seem to be sufficient to remove over 2 cubes of food per day, plus pellets 3 or 4 times a day....

OP
OP
KimG

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering if it would be worth increasing my cleaning crew and add some turbo snails? They were always the best eating machines I ever had. My tronchus emails Will not touch the algae but my tail spot blenny picks on it once in a while. I know it can be risky with the Dino's but they don't seem to be the majority.
Thoughts?
Thanks

OP
OP
KimG

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates today were between 5-10 using Red Sea test kit and PO4 was .05 using Hanna checker and I double checked. Have been in blackout 71 hours now and have had carbon reactor running for about 48 hours. Had a small bag of carbon in a filter cup the whole time but wish I would’ve started the reactor immediately and perhaps my naso wouldn’t have died. Going to start up the skimmer and UV tomorrow morning. I did see your thread about starting over and I do understand because I feel that way too but I keep getting reassured that this too shall pass. I hope so for both of us!! Perhaps instead of tearing everything down you can restore balance by either replacing some of your rock with live rock. I could only swap a few pieces because the rest are glued in caves and arches. Someone also told me you can just add the live rock to the sump and get the same benefits.
How did the black out turn out? Did it help?

OP
OP
KimG

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
KimG

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for another update. Sorry, its long.

I have to start by saying that that I have missed behaved......
I have been trying to get mexican turbo snails since the restart last year, as they have always been the most effective algae eating machines. However, I could never find them.
I was trying most European shops that sell live stock and so far not much luck.
Then I found out that one of my local LFS had receive them a few weeks ago and still had them in stock.
I reserved 3 and yesterday went to pick them up.
However, as any good reefoholic I came out with 3 bags.... and it was not 1 for each snail ;Facepalm;Facepalm;Facepalm;Facepalm;Facepalm.
Besides the 3 mexican tubo snails I bought a yellow eyed Kole tang. Have been trying to find one since the begging as it is one of the only tangs that can live in the tank and it is such as good algae eater, that I could not pass on the opportunity. All my LFS (3) are small and do not carry many salt water fish, although they carry large variety of tangs. Its the first time I had seen the kole tang, and I actually don't think it was for sale, it was in the frag tank without a price. Anyway, the guy was supper nice and sold me the kole tang. Best news he is already picking at the rocks.
The other bag brought 5 very small (under 1 inch) blue green chromis. WHYYYY??? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I always love the dam things, but I have always stayed away since they seem to like killing each others..... it must have been quarantine. They are all doing good and hanging out together. Voracious little things.

So, now that we have taken my miss behavior out of the way, back to the tank.
The negatives:
The tank is still full of the green single cell algae.

The positives:
-First, there is only one negative, so that is a good sign.
-I finally have measurable phosphate (0.075), now trying to keep it balanced.
-While I lost a lot of the SPS and my montis still have a lot of algae, it is no longer expanding. A week ago it would just cover the corals in no time and if I did not blow of immediately, i could not do it anymore. Now its in the places where it as taken old but not expanding :)
-There is still green algae everywhere, but microscope samples seem to indicate very small amount of Dinos.
-The mexican turbo snails have gone immediately to work and ate large portions of the algae yesterday. While I don't think they will remove it all, I think that if I keep manual removal, the 3 of them, together with the kole and the tail spoted blenny, I should be able to get it under control.
-My LPS have never look this good. They are supper puffed. While I'm not sure my acans have any new heads, they are at least twice as big, as are the rest of the LPS.
- but perhaps the best news is that my ATS is slowly starting to produce turf algae again. As I mentioned before, the tank as only done well when the ATS produces nice turf algae, so hopefully I'm in the right track.

Does this all mean I'm out of the woods?
Not really. Firstly I have to get the algae under control and stabilize the nutrients in the tank.
Also, still not sure what caused the problem in the first place. Tank to new? New sand dropping the phosphate? Some fluctuation that I did not pick up? Probably a combination.

I will keep updates as they seem relevant in case anyone stumbles in to this thread.

Thank you all for the help and for coming along in the journey.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well we ended up doing 84 hours total. So far so good. Nutrients back up to detectable levels, water crystal clear and no signs of algae growth since starting everything back up. All livestock made it through except the Naso that died the first night of blackout. Can’t believe how heavy the Dino load was. It was a thick blanket on everything. Overflows, rocks, sand, pumps you name it. After blackout and carbon reactor and UV and skimmer it is really looking great. Everything is as clean as it was the day we installed it, it’s kinda crazy. Started lights really low first 2 days. Went up yesterday and will increase every other day until back on old schedule. Will read your update to see how things are going with you.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we ended up doing 84 hours total. So far so good. Nutrients back up to detectable levels, water crystal clear and no signs of algae growth since starting everything back up. All livestock made it through except the Naso that died the first night of blackout. Can’t believe how heavy the Dino load was. It was a thick blanket on everything. Overflows, rocks, sand, pumps you name it. After blackout and carbon reactor and UV and skimmer it is really looking great. Everything is as clean as it was the day we installed it, it’s kinda crazy. Started lights really low first 2 days. Went up yesterday and will increase every other day until back on old schedule. Will read your update to see how things are going with you.
Here is a short video of my fire shrimp attacking nori! He likes to eat! The darkness on the sand is reflection not algae. Water is clearer than its ever been!

Attachments

• IMG_0542.mov
    52 MB
OP
OP
KimG

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Doglips
Nice to hear. Hopefully it stays that way ;)
Nutrients at detectable levels is a good sign.
I'm still having to dose quiet a bit to keep it detectable (phosphate that is).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back