Help id flatworm

Christian0505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these flatworms on my two hamer corals. I dipt them immediately in my Red Sea DipX. Would like to know what kind of flatworms they are as my fish clearly didn’t eat them…

I have the following fish which I would have expected them to eat the flatworms..

- Yellow wrasse
- carpenter wrasse
- mandarin fish
- Synchiropus marmoratus

any other fish recommendations? Tank is a waterbox peninsula 3620. 6 line wrasse is not an option as i have many other small fish which will be bullied.

DC0315A1-D378-4258-9D37-B3723C716AC7.jpeg

Hungrypede

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like euphyllia eating flatworms, especially if found on your hammer. Is the hammer doing OK?

When I dealt with EEFW I dipped euphyllia every few days in a heavy concentration of Bayer. Gotta kill the adults as they hatch before they can lay more eggs. There’s a mix of opinions of using flatworm exit on the tank will work for these types of flatworms.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like euphyllia eating flatworms, especially if found on your hammer. Is the hammer doing OK?

When I dealt with EEFW I dipped euphyllia every few days in a heavy concentration of Bayer. Gotta kill the adults as they hatch before they can lay more eggs. There’s a mix of opinions of using flatworm exit on the tank will work for these types of flatworms.
I agree with FW exit

OP
OP
Christian0505

Christian0505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hamers were 50% retracted, that’s how I noticed. On this picture you can actually see the flatworms on the hamer.

B90B4DB8-142E-4F81-93A2-CDAC5B7FE64C.jpeg

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the record... my hellfire torch was looking troubled the past few days and today I decided to give it an iodine dip since a newer hammer did the brown jelly meltdown. When I took it out of the iodine, I noticed what looked like small flat, almost clear translucent slugs moving. Those were quickly identified as Euphyllia eating flatworms. That piece quicky got a dip in CoralRx and two big ones came right off. The piece then got scrubbed with a tooth brush and dipped again. Again, mine where quite a bit larger than your picture which I probably would have said was a regular brown flatworm. Needless to say all my newer torches, hammers and frog got a fresh dip but no more worms found. I've gotten quite a few new pieces of Euphyllia in the past 6 weeks and something slipped by. I borrowed this picture but this is what they looked like in dip container.

BTW I have had those brown flatworms in the past and flatworm exit and CoralRx work well.

polycladflatworm.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back