Help ID some sps

lomi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm new to SPS and I would like to ask for your help identifying the names of these corals. Thanks in advance.

bmsAZ6wnR9+IZMahgbVPiA.jpg

+dvjCq0rRt6fdJyha9FK%A.jpg

7pqcSetlQ1CoIYAVUk60VA.jpg

cjvdNBEVQzeyr+BM7ZQoSQ.jpg

T5ZI2uCDQhiaYt30LlmBpA.jpg

TqG1X5p1SaKeYAesH3vxqQ.jpg

xYNnHDynSoCUwxZR8GQd8A.jpg

yy1WPBOrSJSOp2sGg86Yyw.jpg

zVhBKwO8QU+ds7CSlpTUKw.jpg

tM8l3VzUQHW6wRPe0rsdRA.jpg

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bunch of different wild/mari pieces.

For starters I would move all of those pieces you have placed under ledges/rock work. There's a few of them there in shaded areas. These corals need light, and lots of it.

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow for being new to SPS, you really went all in huh. i would second what was said above, lots of light and lots of flow. There most likely be some losses, dont be dismayed. its par for the course with SPS especially with wild/maricultured pieces. AS for their names, since they are wild/mari, they dont have any of the designer names attached to them. all you'd have to go by would be the scientific name which would be tough, but doable from the pictures. where did you purchase from?

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How old is your tank? A few staghorn will be hardy and easy to keep but the rest will be challenging. I hope that u dip the Coral although those colony are hard to inspect pest. I don't want to rain on your parade but if you are new to Sps then u will have a challenging time to keep these acros even for the experience reefer these will be difficult.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of lighting do you have on the tank? what's flow like? Might as well put up parameters if you have them handy.

As said above, these are not the easiest corals to start out with. How long have you had them so far?

OP
OP
L

lomi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the replies. Yes, these are from the wild. Got some brown algea on some of the tips of SPS corals as damage from shipping I guess but not from my tank. Should I just cut the part with algae using a nipper? Some of the SPS are new and some are already 2 weeks on my tank.

Here's a rundown of my current tank:

Parameters:
Alk8.8 dkh
Calcium470 ppm
Magnesium1,350 ppm
Nitrate5 ppm
Phosphate0.06 ppm
Salinity34 ppt
Temp.81F

Dimension of the tank is L60" x W24 " x H22" (125G)

Lighting:
Lighting fixture: 4' Aquatic Life with 4 bulbs of ATI Blue Plus placed 12" above water level that runs 6 hours a day.
LED fixture: I'm Using 2 Ecotech Radion Gen 4 Pro with spectrum AB+ program at 40% intensity and runs 12hours a day.

Wavemaker:
2pc Maxspect Gyres placed at both ends of the tank
Mode: Oceanic Gyre Cycle (OGC) for random flow (Need some opinion on this if this is optimum or enough setting for SPS as I don't have experience as I usually use pulsing mode for LPS/Softies)
Max: +70
Min: -20

Filtration:
Reef Octo Regal 200 Skimmer semi dry skimming
Fuge Chaeto on 12hr schedule
AF Phosphate Minus (1/2 dosage)
0.8ROX Carbon
Vinegar/Vodka daily dosing

Daily Dosing:
AF Component 1+ 2+ 3+
AF ABEV (just starting)

Weekly:
Reef Roids for LPS (Direct) and SPS (Broadcast)

I know that aquacultured or corals that are bought from online sellers has the special names. I just want the ID of the SPS according to the structure because I'm not familiar with these yet. i.e. staghorn, mont. digitata, stylo etc., And its specially confusing on acroporas because of the many different structures, right?

Am I doing it right? Also need some advice on how to successfully keep them long term.

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like you got all the equip for success. to me the temp is a few degrees warm, but it may be ok. Keeping them longterm is tough but regarding. main thing is stability...keep it stable and there will be a greater chance of success. As for IDing them, tough from pics. take a look at diver's den on live aquaria. they usually has pics of many of the acropora species(looks like all of these are) so you can get a good understanding of the growth structure.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back