Help identifying sores on foxface

PhilM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface has a major spot on his body and many on its fins. These are new in the last 2 days at most. This is the same foxface I had a ring problem with earlier that just went away (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/foxface-disease-or-injury.982153/). At the time the thought was it might have been stung. The fish is swimming and breathing normally and eating vociferously. What are these rings/spots and how might I treat them. Photo below (sorry about the washed out nature of the bright white light).

The foxface is in my 160 gal DT. There are 3 tangs (5" gem and 4" tomini and purple) as well as a variety of smaller fish with it. None are showing any spotting or other issues. I do have a recently aggressive cinnamon clownfish, but his aggression is toward the other clowns in the DT. There are also about 15 bubble tip nems in the tank, some of which are quite large. Parameters have not changed and are in normal range (salt 34 ppt, pH 8.3-8.4, ORP 270-300, temp 77.3 - 78.0, alk 9.4, Ca 410, Mg 1460). Mg My 60 gal is in use for QT at this time and my 10 gal QT tank is too small for this 7" very active fish.
1693271178280.png

I look forward to your prognosis and suggestions.
Many thanks in advance, Philip

1693269604497.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My foxface has a major spot on his body and many on its fins. These are new in the last 2 days at most. This is the same foxface I had a ring problem with earlier that just went away (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/foxface-disease-or-injury.982153/). At the time the thought was it might have been stung. The fish is swimming and breathing normally and eating vociferously. What are these rings/spots and how might I treat them. Photo below (sorry about the washed out nature of the bright white light).

The foxface is in my 160 gal DT. There are 3 tangs (5" gem and 4" tomini and purple) as well as a variety of smaller fish with it. None are showing any spotting or other issues. I do have a recently aggressive cinnamon clownfish, but his aggression is toward the other clowns in the DT. There are also about 15 bubble tip nems in the tank, some of which are quite large. Parameters have not changed and are in normal range (salt 34 ppt, pH 8.3-8.4, ORP 270-300, temp 77.3 - 78.0, alk 9.4, Ca 410, Mg 1460). Mg My 60 gal is in use for QT at this time and my 10 gal QT tank is too small for this 7" very active fish.
1693271178280.png

I look forward to your prognosis and suggestions.
Many thanks in advance, Philip

1693269604497.png
This is a puncture wound either from an urchin or coral in tank. It should heal on its own but do keep an eye on it. If it becomes sore or red - treat in separate tank with Seachem kanaplex for at least 5 days. Other possibility is bite mark but looks a little small

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird! When it was one spot, I thought it was a tail strike from your zebrasoma tang. I can’t see that causing this many spots without you seeing some sort of aggression though!

Maybe it is getting stung by the BTA’s? Any LPS corals in the tank?

Jay

OP
OP
P

PhilM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses.

As well as numerous nems, there a quite few LPS in my DT. I have favia, euphyllia, candy canes, cyphastrea, leptoseris, chalice, alveopora, and possibly a few others. The favia definitely have long stinger tentacles that are active at night and the foxface often sleeps/hovers under a ledge with 2 favia, one of which was added recently. If the foxface was being stung there would it not tend to move to another location?

Philip

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses.

As well as numerous nems, there a quite few LPS in my DT. I have favia, euphyllia, candy canes, cyphastrea, leptoseris, chalice, alveopora, and possibly a few others. The favia definitely have long stinger tentacles that are active at night and the foxface often sleeps/hovers under a ledge with 2 favia, one of which was added recently. If the foxface was being stung there would it not tend to move to another location?

Philip
Fish feel pain differently than we do - it may not be enough noxious stimulus to get it to stop frequenting that area.

This also could be bacterial infections - some of those are circular.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back