Help me identify. Diatom??

Dyln

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 12, 2022
Messages
78
Reaction score
68
Location
United Kingdom
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - I have a pair of clownfish in a 105l tank. It is almost 4 months old now.

Salinity - 1.025 [H2Ocean classic formula salt + RODI water]
pH - 8
Ammonia - 0ppm (Salifert test kit) + Seachem ammonia alert
Nitrite - 0ppm (Salifert test kit)
Nitrate - 7.5ppm (Salifert test kit)

I do 10 to 20% water changes depending on nitrate levels. Recently, I started vacuuming a quarter of my sand bed when I do water changes to control nitrates (I had slightly higher nitrates a couple of weeks ago). I dose Seachem stability every time I vacuum. Ammonia and nitrites remain at 0 ppm. I take that as I am not hurting my bio filter. However, I will go back to vacuuming a small portion in two weeks time.

I am feeding pellets/flakes (started flakes 3 days ago) two twice a day. I stop feeding them as soon as they stop eating. Now they eat anything that drops to the bottom as well.

Could you please help me identify what this is? Is it diatom? Any advice to tackle this would be much appreciated.

IMG_2001.jpg IMG_2002.jpg
 
I can’t say for sure but with the age of your tank your more then likely hitting the ugly phase now have you tried blowing it off with a turkey baster?
Thank you for the response. I don't have a turkey baster (at least a clean one to stick in my tank). But I tried aiming my smaller wavemaker at the patches, and it doesn't seem to want to leave the rock.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new