Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will run a test on monday after WC (hate this part most tbh lol)
Test your freshly made salt water before the WC. You must rule out that this is the cause of the alk rise.

but do u think spike of alk within the space of 11 days too much for the coral to handle?

That depends how fast it went, and you don't know that exactly. Like i said earlier, if it happened within 24/48 hours it's not good.

And do u think its best to move the coral to a more shaddier area? Im afraid he wont get enough light to photosynthesis and end up losing his colour. Im really on the fence about this. Is there any remedy/vitamin/food to help the healing process?

I wouldn't do anything else other then keep you parameters in check and steady. Now you're at 11 kh, keep it there for a while, go only lower very slowly, which means that your freshly made water must be close to kh 11 too.

But again, i suspect something is dosed to the water, your tank won't go magically from 7 to 11.5 by itself.
Test your new made water asap and make sure parameters are close to your tank water. Avoid rapid changes now.

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flesh is very unlikely to grow back over the septa, if you’re lucky, it won’t recede too much more, and then stabilize/heal and then just have a little corner of flesh missing. So long as the mouth is intact, it can live, hopefully the recession won’t progress, ensuring stable parameters is imperative in making sure it doesn’t.
While it’s not very common, it IS possible to regrow around the dead skeleton and heal itself.
I have a meat coral right now, that about 3 months ago had something similar happen and it lost about 30% of its flesh. It receded almost to its mouth.
corrected the water parameters and left it alone, and Today it’s back up to about what it was before It got hurt, maybe only 15% lost from its original state.

big key is to correct the issue and keep the water stable after
What if the theres algae growing on its bone? Wouldnt it be more dangerous?
Use the smallest tool you have and be VERT gentle, you can make it worse if you start rubbing off flesh by mistake. I did have to do this a couple times during its healing

OP
OP
SaltyReefer09

SaltyReefer09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so this is my latest parameter test result. Curious what you guys think.

Attachments

• 52ADC5D0-0E0D-4BEA-AB15-23B72B8A8935.png
    52ADC5D0-0E0D-4BEA-AB15-23B72B8A8935.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
SaltyReefer09

SaltyReefer09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test your freshly made salt water before the WC. You must rule out that this is the cause of the alk rise.

That depends how fast it went, and you don't know that exactly. Like i said earlier, if it happened within 24/48 hours it's not good.

I wouldn't do anything else other then keep you parameters in check and steady. Now you're at 11 kh, keep it there for a while, go only lower very slowly, which means that your freshly made water must be close to kh 11 too.

But again, i suspect something is dosed to the water, your tank won't go magically from 7 to 11.5 by itself.
Test your new made water asap and make sure parameters are close to your tank water. Avoid rapid changes now.
Hi Harold
Ive posted my latest water test result. Alk did drop a little bit but a huge jump in Mg. Should i be worried?
May i see whats your parameter like if u dont mind? Cuz as u can see, my parameter swings like crazy

OP
OP
SaltyReefer09

SaltyReefer09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it’s not very common, it IS possible to regrow around the dead skeleton and heal itself.
I have a meat coral right now, that about 3 months ago had something similar happen and it lost about 30% of its flesh. It receded almost to its mouth.
corrected the water parameters and left it alone, and Today it’s back up to about what it was before It got hurt, maybe only 15% lost from its original state.

big key is to correct the issue and keep the water stable after

Use the smallest tool you have and be VERT gentle, you can make it worse if you start rubbing off flesh by mistake. I did have to do this a couple times during its healing
Wow congrats to u Sir must be a satisfying feeling to hv saved a beautiful piece. What a relief to hear that. A little bit of hope atleast.
Once the water is corrected what did u do with it? Like did u move it to a shaddier area? Feed it heavily with meaty food such as shrimps or pellets? Did u dip it in rx or fresh water treatment?
One more thing ive noticed is that my cleaner shrimp likes nip my clams and the dying tissue on my donut coral. I might hv to catch him tonight

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not dip or cut.

Dips are mostly for pests.. definitely not FW dip. It sounds like the problem isn't pests.. so why stress it?

Keep the tank stable and it may or may not recover.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so this is my latest parameter test result. Curious what you guys think.
This is the same one you posted on Friday.

These are my parameters, for the most part the are stable
Temp 76.9-77.1°
Salinity 1.0255-1.0265
Alk - 8.3-8.6dkh
Cal - 400-420
Phos- 0.03-0.05ppm
Nitrates - 10-15ppm
Mag - 1300-1400
PH - 8.0-8.2

I dose a balance 2 part, kalk saturated vinegar, and neophos (phosphate) daily, and do a 20% water change every 7-10 days. Small fluctuations are unavoidable, but large ones are completely avoidable. Are you testing yourself of taking samples to the LFS? If it’s the latter, you really should be doing your own testing, if you’re having issues, you need to be testing more than once every couple weeks (especially alkalinity, you should test this daily until you know how much Alk your tank is consuming daily.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Harold
Ive posted my latest water test result. Alk did drop a little bit but a huge jump in Mg. Should i be worried?
May i see whats your parameter like if u dont mind? Cuz as u can see, my parameter swings like crazy
These are old results you already posted.

Magnesium goes up because Aqua Forest Reefsalt is high in Magnesium (1600). Aqua Forest is always claiming their Mag is ~1350 but that is false, it is 1600.
But that's okay, i use AF Reefsalt myself too. High Magnesium is fine.

If your KH is going slightly down after the waterchange that means the new salt is lower in KH than 11.5.
So it's not the salt which caused the spike.

If you want to avoid KH swings during waterchanges you must make the new water the same KH as the tankwater.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow congrats to u Sir must be a satisfying feeling to hv saved a beautiful piece. What a relief to hear that. A little bit of hope atleast.
Once the water is corrected what did u do with it? Like did u move it to a shaddier area? Feed it heavily with meaty food such as shrimps or pellets? Did u dip it in rx or fresh water treatment?
One more thing ive noticed is that my cleaner shrimp likes nip my clams and the dying tissue on my donut coral. I might hv to catch him tonight
No, I didn’t move it, as it had been happy where it was previous to the Incident.
I did give it some small pieces of shrimp once or twice, during that time, but you don’t want to over feed it, as digestion takes a good bit of energy.

def don’t do any dips as that will stress it more. If you notice the shrimp on it too often for comfort try and catch and remove the shrimp, maybe just toss it in the sump until the meat coral heals itself rather than getting rid of it fully

OP
OP
SaltyReefer09

SaltyReefer09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for the confusion. This is the latest test. Im planning to perform WC again in 2 or 3 days time and keep doing so until the alk level is down to 8

Attachments

• B1F1714E-5E7F-431F-BEDE-532F128B9852.jpeg
    B1F1714E-5E7F-431F-BEDE-532F128B9852.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
SaltyReefer09

SaltyReefer09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing yourself of taking samples to the LFS? If it’s the latter, you really should be doing your own testing, if you’re having issues, you need to be testing more than once every couple weeks (especially alkalinity, you should test this daily until you know how much Alk your tank is consuming daily.
Hey Max
So sometimes i do the testing myself other times i got the guy from my LFS to come over and help me with the stuffs, like rescapping the tank and changing the background colour and recently the ASW switch thing. The test result on 29 december was done after switching to ASW.

If your KH is going slightly down after the waterchange that means the new salt is lower in KH than 11.5.
So it's not the salt which caused the spike.

If you want to avoid KH swings during waterchanges you must make the new water the same KH as the tankwater.
hey Harold. Ur right alk level slightly went down after performing 20% WC with the same salt. What caused the alk to spike still baffles my mind.
Just noticed that my fungia is going thru the same thing, losing its flesh. So now im 100% certain that this is not a temperature issue here.
Anyway, im planning to WC again in 2-3 days time until it goes back to 7-8dkh.

Thanks for the input guys

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Max
So sometimes i do the testing myself other times i got the guy from my LFS to come over and help me with the stuffs, like rescapping the tank and changing the background colour and recently the ASW switch thing. The test result on 29 december was done after switching to ASW.

hey Harold. Ur right alk level slightly went down after performing 20% WC with the same salt. What caused the alk to spike still baffles my mind.
Just noticed that my fungia is going thru the same thing, losing its flesh. So now im 100% certain that this is not a temperature issue here.
Anyway, im planning to WC again in 2-3 days time until it goes back to 7-8dkh.

Thanks for the input guys
Did you ever use tap water doing a WC with the new salt?
If your tap water has a very high KH then we would have an explanation.

There are not many options left. Or you dosed too much of something which rised KH, but you say you haven't dosed anything, or your new salt had a sky high KH (which isn't the case since KH is going down now), or the water you used once wasn't rodi but tapwater with a high KH.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back