Help setting up emergency QT system

thekoralqueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. So I have a 135g Mixed reef. I believe that my Blue Hippo Tang (newest addition- added 1.5 months ago) got Brooklynella and gave it to my yellow tang. The hippo is looking in very rough shape. Discolored patchy face, jagged fins, not eating and hiding (2 -3 days now). I hadn’t noticed the first day or two due to being at work and getting home late. Finally I noticed on day 2 or 3 (today is day 3). Also noticed my yellow tang won’t eat and is hiding, but swimming up right, but is breathing heavy, hiding and not eating either. I was able to catch my YT and set up a QT system. Assuming it is Brook, I got ParaGuard since it contains Formalin and dosed accordingly. The QT is a 20g long, has a heater, hang on the back filter, air stone, small wave maker, 1 rock for hiding (and for some bacteria since it was from my display) and also added a small amount of turbo start for more bacteria. I’m going to get copper power in the morning to add as well. If anyone has any other suggestions on what to add to the QT or about Brooklynella with tangs please let me know. None of my other fish are showing any signs. All look fat and healthy, eating and swimming as normal. (All water parameters are normal and haven’t had any swings) I attached some pictures and a video of the yellow tang if that helps.

FA91A730-650B-431E-B1BB-A811EA821CCC.jpeg 24175E2E-0753-4DAB-B80F-B98ABBB00871.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s not typical for tangs to bet brooklynella yet not impossible
The pics you provided show heavy shimmer from lighting
Can you retake pics under white lighting?
Tang looks very thin and. From what you describe could be flukes
What foods were you feeding the tang?
What is your ammonia-nitrate-ph-salinity and what test kits are you using?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to consider some pvc pipes for the fish to hide in. Also, if you don't want to ruin the rock with copper after the paraguard, you may want to replace it with bottled bacteria and sponges

OP
OP
thekoralqueen

thekoralqueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not typical for tangs to bet brooklynella yet not impossible
The pics you provided show heavy shimmer from lighting
Can you retake pics under white lighting?
Tang looks very thin and. From what you describe could be flukes
What foods were you feeding the tang?
What is your ammonia-nitrate-ph-salinity and what test kits are you using?
Yes I can take pictures in the morning. Tang is very thin. Has been losing weight over the past month or so. He was quite fat and was a pig before adding the hippo. I feed spirulina, gut loaded mysis, and always have algae sheets on a clip since I have 4 tangs. I feed 2x a day with both frozen cubes mixed together thawed out. I use hanna test kits- I work at an lfs so that’s what we have and is my favorite imo.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 23 (on the high side- i know- it was in the 50s 2-3 weeks ago so i’ve been bringing it down with weekly water changes)
Phosphate: 0.1
pH: 8.0
Alk: 7.8
Calcium: 398
Mag: 1289

OP
OP
thekoralqueen

thekoralqueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to consider some pvc pipes for the fish to hide in. Also, if you don't want to ruin the rock with copper after
You might want to consider some pvc pipes for the fish to hide in. Also, if you don't want to ruin the rock with copper after the paraguard, you may want to replace it with bottled bacteria and sponges
Yes sponges will also be added as well. I did also add a small amount of turbo smart and that one rock for bacteria. Rock came from display and turbo start just for the extra bacteria. PV will be put in tomorrow as well, I just didn’t have any left at my house and all this was done between 7-10pm and everything was closing.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps consider internal parasites too since he is thin or maybe being bullied and not eating enough.

I would probably feed LRS too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes I can take pictures in the morning. Tang is very thin. Has been losing weight over the past month or so. He was quite fat and was a pig before adding the hippo. I feed spirulina, gut loaded mysis, and always have algae sheets on a clip since I have 4 tangs. I feed 2x a day with both frozen cubes mixed together thawed out. I use hanna test kits- I work at an lfs so that’s what we have and is my favorite imo.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 23 (on the high side- i know- it was in the 50s 2-3 weeks ago so i’ve been bringing it down with weekly water changes)
Phosphate: 0.1
pH: 8.0
Alk: 7.8
Calcium: 398
Mag: 1289
Diet inadequate
You will want to add:
LRS herbivore diet
Small plankton
Rods original diet
Hikari veggie diet
Hikari marine cuisine
Formula 2 frozen

Add selcon vitamins to the foods occasionally for overall stamina

OP
OP
thekoralqueen

thekoralqueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diet inadequate
You will want to add:
LRS herbivore diet
Small plankton
Rods original diet
Hikari veggie diet
Hikari marine cuisine
Formula 2 frozen

Add selcon vitamins to the foods occasionally for overall stamina
Will definitely add more variety to their diet. But they’ve eaten the same food for almost 2 years now and the yellow is the only tang who is skinny. Both my other tanks are nice and fat and very healthy. So I don’t think diet is the issue on this particular thing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back